Best android app for walking/running

Options
I am thinking of a doing a 30 miles/30 days challenge and really need a reliable consistent app for my android phone. I currently have endomondo but it gives very inconsistent results and if me and my husband walk together we will get way different readings. So any ideas?

Replies

• johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    MapMyRun is a good one... I also use Ednomondo and a garmin GPS at the same time and they were close not dead on but close. I think you are always going to find any GPS app/watch it's going to be off by some margin.

What does your husband use?
  • notbigliz
    notbigliz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We both have endomondo. Turning it on at the same time, with the same configuration his will say 3.1 miles and mine will say 1.7 miles, or something similar. It just seems strange and Im a horrible judge of distance.
  • johnlatv
    Options
    We both have endomondo. Turning it on at the same time, with the same configuration his will say 3.1 miles and mine will say 1.7 miles, or something similar. It just seems strange and Im a horrible judge of distance.

I would have to think you are loosing your GPS signal for some reason. Before you hit start make sure it says GPS connected or excellent something like that.
  • Breezedew
    Breezedew Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This is good... Bump for later.
  • kmoore238
    Options
    I have the glaxy nexus and i use caridotrainer! i love it! Posts to facebook. Shows how many steps you take how many calories you burn! and maps out your whole run/ walk! and best part is! its free!
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper and have been very happy with it.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have both Endomondo and RunKeeper. I prefer RunKeeper. Rather than just track your distance, you can also set up workouts based on distance or time (which is great for intervals) and customize your display data. Syncs with their website which compliles all the stuff you track and gives you some pretty cool data to look at. I've run both apps concurrently and they've both reported pretty much the same distance data.

Oh, and the audio prompts/coach on Runkeeper doesn't sound like a speak n' spell whereas Endomondo does- that may be a plus or a minus to some people.
  • johnlatv
    Options
    I have both Endomondo and RunKeeper. I prefer RunKeeper. Rather than just track your distance, you can also set up workouts based on distance or time (which is great for intervals) and customize your display data. Syncs with their website which compliles all the stuff you track and gives you some pretty cool data to look at. I've run both apps concurrently and they've both reported pretty much the same distance data.

You can do the same with Endomondo Pro, Google has sales and got the pro version for 49 cents.
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    But Runkeeper is 49 cents cheaper...:wink:
  • PetrD
    PetrD Posts: 1
    Options
    This is not for tracking distance but good for motivation and learning to know your area: Exploround https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.pdou.explorearound. It remembers the places that you have already visited and leads you to new places to make your walks or runs more interesting. It keeps various exploration related stats.
  • Jason3589
    Jason3589 Posts: 734
    Options
    I use the runtastic series of apps, there is a pedometer version, it also syncs with this
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    For walks and runs, I use Runkeeper (Android).

Another one I like is SportsTracker, I upload my bike ride gps tracks to that. That one is nice because it uses Google Maps maps and they are pretty to look at.