Any weight lifting ladies?

Options
I just started weight lifting and very new to it.. somewhat...

Just need other ladies to chat with to keep me going and motivated.. I am not to sure what I am doing... so its nice to chat with people who have a little more experience.

Replies

• cschiff
    cschiff Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Love this post,

I just started, too! I asked a guy at the gym to show me some good ways to work my triceps. He was super cute, too! Haha but yeah I second what you said! Other than what the cute guy showed me, I really don't know what I am doing and would love some helpful tips to sculpt:

deltoids
    triceps
    back
    shoulders

specifically, but I would love to read/learn whatever anyone has to offer!
    Thanks!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite things to do for back is Roman Dead Lift. Yeah it's got "dead" in the title so you know it's good! haha

I'm sure there's a nice diagram online somewhere. It's really simple, or ask a gym employee.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    There are groups dedicated to weight lifting. From the Community tab, click on Groups. Search using the term "strength training" and you will find groups for women only or coed. There's also a group of women who are following the program in the book "New Rules of Lifing for Women." It's a great group. To find it search using the acronym NROL4W.
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Love weight lifting!!! I am getting a personal trainer to help me with a lot of it since I dont want to injury myself.
  • briteyes1002
    briteyes1002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Love this post,

I just started, too! I asked a guy at the gym to show me some good ways to work my triceps. He was super cute, too! Haha but yeah I second what you said! Other than what the cute guy showed me, I really don't know what I am doing and would love some helpful tips to sculpt:

deltoids
    triceps
    back
    shoulders

specifically, but I would love to read/learn whatever anyone has to offer!
    Thanks!

You are must braver than I am.. I have not mustard up the courage to ask a random dude what to do.. I am always scared that his women may be some where in the gym.. glaring at my every move from some piece of cardio equipment and than come make some big scene in the middle of the gym about how I am trying to hit on her dude.. I know I am a little out there... BUT.. it could happen.. lol
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I've been lifting for about 3 months now and I am hooked!! I absolutely love it!
  • briteyes1002
    Options
    I've been lifting for about 3 months now and I am hooked!! I absolutely love it!

When did you start seeing results? How often do you lift?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lift. Feel free to add me :)
  • AnnaAnafi
    AnnaAnafi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for 22 years, but it took me years to really figure out what to do. Never can hurt to schedule a couple of sessions with a personal trainer. A good trainer can help motivate you, give you form/technique pointers and give you ideas for how to schedule your sessions to meet your goals and fit your schedule.

My favorite things to work are chest and back, though, I agree with whoever said they love Roman Deadlifts. Me too! Good luck out there and even if you're scared to ask what or how, never hesitate to ask someone to spot you if you're pushing yourself!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm 6.5 weeks into ChaLEAN Extreme & will be starting NROL4W next week. Outside of CE I haven't done much with weights at all, so I'm really looking forward to decreasing my cardio & upping the weights!!

(Anyone) feel free to add me -- would love some like-minded ladies for support & motivation :smile:
  • Ohbutiloveicecream
    Ohbutiloveicecream Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Ps: The New Rules Of Lifting for Women seems to be a good starting point. :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for over a year or so. I love it.

I definitely notice how strong my arms have gotten and my upper body in general. Also my legs, too. I lift heavy and I have lost lots of inches. I have gotten smaller and more muscular looking. Not sure when it happened but over time I have noticed my appearance changing.
  • briteyes1002
    Options
    Bump!
    Ps: The New Rules Of Lifting for Women seems to be a good starting point. :)

Yes this is the program that I have started.. though a personal trainer friend told me to do a little more than what the book suggests to start with.. I am just a little hesitant about cutting down my cardio so much... I just dont feel like I am burning off the calories I should be!
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    ADD ME! I am starting next week after I go in the bod pod!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    After a 4-year hiatus and having 2 children back to back, I'm lifting again and LOVING IT!! I can't imagine living any other way. I crave the burn, the soreness, all of it!! I don't just want to lose weight, I want to re-SHAPE my entire body, get strong, and be FIERCE! lol :laugh:
  • cwgrl4u
    cwgrl4u Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I've done 2 rounds of P90X, Insanity, Brazil Butt Lift, P90X2 and currently doing Les Mills Pump with BBL and Turbo Fire! I will say that the only program I started losing muscle with is the Insanity (cardio) Since going back with P90X2 for strength and LMP for development, I've seen my muscles come back!!!
  • arnie900
    arnie900 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good job! Every woman should lift! Not only does it help you get more fit and healthy, but it strengthens your bones and you'll be stronger and better able to defend yourself. Plus it helps you burn more fat. Get yourself a pair of weightlifting gloves. They'll keep your hands from getting callouses and you'll look and feel like a bad *kitten*. You should definitely have one or two personal training sessions or go to group fitness classes to learn some moves/machines/equipment and how to do them correctly without hurting yourself or how to modify if you have prior injuries. And remember, if it's not hard to do then it's not heavy enough and you're just wasting your time! Good luck on your journey to buffness!
  • arnie900
    arnie900 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You should see results within 2 weeks if you're lifting regularly (at least 3 times a week). Eat more protein and fewer carbs, especially in the first 2 weeks.
  • WhiteCoc0
    WhiteCoc0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree..Eat more protein!