Hit a wall running!

Options
Hi. I run 3/4 times per week between 2-4 miles each time. In the last 3 weeks I have hit a wall and find it very difficult to run without feeling exhausted almost immediately. I am fine if running with others and I really enjoy it but there has been no one to run with lately and in the past running solo with my music has been fine. ANy tips to restore my leap and bound in my run please?

THanks in advance :-)

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling sore?
    2-4 miles 4 days a week might be a little rough on you if you haven't beend doing it for a while.

Just wondering if something is hurting and making it difficult for you to keep running.
    Could also just be a change in temperature? I know as it heats up, I start wanting to run less.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have been running like this for over a year now so it's not that, and I have sorted all my ailments by purchasing new shoes etc. I am wondering if I am actually eating enough to power my runs and the right stuff. My BMR is around 1500 but MFP worked out 1420 per day for me to lose weight, does that sound right?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are only eating 420 then that is the problem. On running days you probably should be eating around 1500 or more and the other days at least 1000.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Eat moar.

Try bumping it up to over your BMR. The BMR number is the amount of calories required to keep the body functioning. You will need more calories than that to have energy for your running.
  • scottb81
    Options
    Ha. you changed the 420 to 1420.

If it has gotten a lot hotter where you are then it is probably the heat. Also, on running days it wouldn't hurt to add several hundred calories of carbs for energy.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I find that taking a small break, helps so much. I find that if I do too much, my body will let me know because I am tired all the time and my workouts feel horrible. I may take an extra day off or run fewer miles that week to give my body a rest. Also, I need to change up where I run. Running the same route over and over again can feel so boring after a while. Plus, I have to change up my music too. It adds a bit of a change up which helps me find the motivation I need to get out there and run.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    To me, while your calorie intake is low, I don't see it being low enough to exhaust you from just 2-4 miles. I think more plausibly your carb intake is very low, and your glycogen stores aren't sufficient to fuel your runs, and you have not adapted to this. It generally takes 3-4 weeks for someone to adapt. I'm a long distance runner on a low-carb diet, and I literally couldn't run 4 miles without walking the first couple weeks.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Yup, same here, doing 7-9k every other day (walk/run intervals), thought it was the heat, but yesterday at 5°C i had the same problem. Decided to take an extra day's break before my next run, will see how that works out...
  • hyperkate
    Options
    To me, while your calorie intake is low, I don't see it being low enough to exhaust you from just 2-4 miles. I think more plausibly your carb intake is very low, and your glycogen stores aren't sufficient to fuel your runs, and you have not adapted to this. It generally takes 3-4 weeks for someone to adapt. I'm a long distance runner on a low-carb diet, and I literally couldn't run 4 miles without walking the first couple weeks.

Thanks everyone. COuld you give me any advice on what to eat on my running days then please? I run morning and night. Although I know what to eat day to day I have not really got much of a grip on how to feed my exercise to give me energy. Thank you :-)
  • hyperkate
    Options
    Yup, same here, doing 7-9k every other day (walk/run intervals), thought it was the heat, but yesterday at 5°C i had the same problem. Decided to take an extra day's break before my next run, will see how that works out...

May take tomorrow and friday off of all exercise as am swimming twice a week too, a mile a time. See what saturday round the lake brings. :-)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Thanks everyone. COuld you give me any advice on what to eat on my running days then please? I run morning and night. Although I know what to eat day to day I have not really got much of a grip on how to feed my exercise to give me energy. Thank you :-)

Eat something high in carbs like toast, a bagel, or energy bar an hour or two before your runs. Some others might have better suggestions, as I intentionally don't feed myself much before exercise, but I'm fully adapted to it so it doesn't bother me.
  • scottb81
    Options
    Anything high in carbs is fine. I like to eat lots of fruit during the day, bananas, grapefruit, and oranges. Other ideas are oatmeal or bagels for breakfast, big salads during the day, potatoes or rice for dinner, etc.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to change your running routine I.E maybe run a different route or incorporate more hills!
  • hyperkate
    Options
    Have you tried to change your running routine I.E maybe run a different route or incorporate more hills!

Hi. Yes I do change my route all the time as I get bored easily lol. I think I just need to find a running partner to spur me on. :-)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're running way too much!

Why don't you try sprinting/jogging intervals instead of straight jogging.
  • hyperkate
    Options
    I'd say you're running way too much!

Why don't you try sprinting/jogging intervals instead of straight jogging.

Why do you say that? :-)
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Hi. I run 3/4 times per week between 2-4 miles each time. In the last 3 weeks I have hit a wall and find it very difficult to run without feeling exhausted almost immediately. I am fine if running with others and I really enjoy it but there has been no one to run with lately and in the past running solo with my music has been fine. ANy tips to restore my leap and bound in my run please?

THanks in advance :-)

In my opinion, it's not your calorie intake that is the issue; it's the fact that you are bored with what you are doing. That is why it's enjoyable and easy when you run with partners. When there is no partner, you are bored; nothing to do with calories.

I would suggest changing it up... as other have suggested, run hills, run sprint/intervals, run a different route, get in the car and start your run from a different location, etc. Not only will this keep it interesting for you, it's better for your body. Your body is used to what you are doing now; it doesn't work as hard doing that run as when you first started doing it. Your body can pretty much go on auto-pilot when you run a straight, flat run.

I strength train 3 - 4 days per week and run a couple times per week ( usually 4 miles or so). And just this last Sunday, my husband suggested we change it up. So, we ran 1 mile to a school, did 20 40yard sprints with minimal rest in between each sprint, then jogged the mile home. I am STILL so sore today that I couldn't do my leg day at the gym as planned. And not only did the time FLY by during that workout but I burned just as many calories as I would doing a long run.
  • hyperkate
    Options
    I ran with friends tonight. I always lead but it's nice to know they are there. It was a better run, but I think my wall is psychological. Thanks for the replies x
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Anything high in carbs is fine. I like to eat lots of fruit during the day, bananas, grapefruit, and oranges. Other ideas are oatmeal or bagels for breakfast, big salads during the day, potatoes or rice for dinner, etc.

+1 on the carbs and watch your hydration.