Gaining is as hard as losing

Options
People do not seem to realize that trying to gain weight for health reasons is just as hard as losing weight. I am a very busy person who enjoys being active. I have always been naturally thin, but a few years ago I had to have surgery to fix a problem with my kidneys and i lost a great deal of weight. I am not a big person, i have a small frame. I have never really regained my appetite since the surgery so putting the weight back on has been a struggle. Why do people automatically assume i have an eating disorder just because i am thin? Do you not see the problem with that? You hate to be judged for being overweight right? So dont judge me for being underweight. I am trying to get healthy the same as you. People who live in glass houses shouln't throw stones.

Replies

• JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Clean bulk yes, dirty bulk, no.

Edit: Just read your entire post. People can be judgmental, but I'm sure no one is gonna make fun of you here.. At least I hope not..
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    oh i totally understand this. i had to gain a lot for health reasons it was seriously not easy. but for my it was psychological. once i started eating i couldnt stop gaining, i say couldnt stop abuse ruined my body processes so eating 800 calories was like 3000 to my system acording to my dietician. but im not a naturally big person anyway and even when i am the size i am now which is still very small people are still like eat food, stop starving and im like im not!! i get where you are coming from. i think here its also assumed that most people are here just to loose. i like to think its just for fitness really but i think im a minority.
  • kpittman0612
    Options
    I completely understand your point of view. I am not a large person but after 2 kids I have a few pounds to lose and when I'm working out I hear people say "you are already skinny why are you doing that?" It's called being HEALTHY people!!!!!!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My mom is a teacher by day, personal trainer/wellness coach by night. Most of her clients are trying to lose weight, but she just got a client who is desperately trying to gain weight the healthy way. She is 27, 5'3", and weighs 100 lbs. She does not have an eating disorder, and has had a child, but lost all the baby weight (it was only 40 lbs) within 3 months of having her child with breastfeeding. She and her brother are both the same way, can eat and eat, but their metabolisms are incredibly high. My mom has her on a very high calorie diet, has her drinking 3 protein shakes a day, and has her eating at least twice as much as I do in a given day, and the girl has gained maybe a couple pounds in the last few weeks.

I have NEVER had a problem gaining weight, in fact, I'm really good at it. I could probably teach a class on it. But I imagine that wanting to put on weight the HEALTHY way and just not being able to has to be as frustrating as the weight loss challenge. She is just as self conscious about her body as many of us overweight people are. At the end of the day, we all just want to be healthy!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing because their going on looks alone they see someone looking super skinny and figure your not eating enough, the same way they see overweight people and figure their eating to much, when that isn't necessarily the case. Some people are just judgmental always have been always will be.
  • NoraMich84
    NoraMich84 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am sorry anyone made you feel bad. People love to judge one another without knowing the whole story and it's terrible. Although I am wayyyy over weight, my older sister has always been naturally slim and everyone is always commenting how she needs to eat more. But she does eat. A lot actually and, I can see how irritated she gets, she is just small. Try not to let people get to you. Make sure you include lots of protein and healthy fat in your diet. Hope you get the results you are looking for.
  • drexs_kk
    drexs_kk Posts: 15
    Options
    Woohoo! You tell 'em! lol I won't lie. I have been known to look at someone really skinny and say "Oh, she's too thin". But that's as far as it's ever gone. Someone can look at me and say "Oh, she's too fat". lol But, that's their opinion. I don't judge the skinny person. I just simply state the facts.

Don't let what other people think or say get to you. Only you know what you want and what's best for you and what you're doing with your own life. Life is too short to worry about what strangers think. I read a quote one time that said "Do what you feel in your heart to be right. For you will be criticized anyways." It's so true! So, you keep doing what you're doing. If you're happy then more power to ya! Good luck on the gain, also! Like, the person above me said...good bulk, yes..bad bulk, no. That is so true. But, keep your head up and remember everyone will ALWAYS have their own opinions. Whether you like it or not...ignore it. Be the bigger, better person! :)
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    No one on MFP has made fun of me for my goals. I understand that a lot of people will not relate to me but no one has put me down even if their goals are entirely different from mine. It was just initially hard to find the support that I felt like I needed but now I have a great support team and I'm gaining pretty steadily. People in "real life" however, are an entirely different story. Yes they tend to be judgmental. The majority seem to think you can just eat a hamburger and your problems are solved when that's not quite the case.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Sorry to hear of the judgement being passed on your in real life. My oldest daughter has the same issue as you do - she has been trying so hard for the last year to put on weight and has FINALLY entered a healthy range - totally the low end, but healthy! She had normal body functions for a female that stopped and the whole nine yards, but it wasn't cause she wasn't trying. I have her doing weight lifting along with her nutrition and that has been her Godsend. Remember that others cannot make their judgements and opinions have any worth unless you allow them to. I am so glad you were able to find support you needed and sounds like you are having great success! *Cheers* to your continued success!