Cheat days

Options
Who all has a cheat day when it comes to dieting?

I stick to the idea of eating strict and controlled throughout the week and then one day, usually Saturday, I will eat pretty much wherever and whatever I want. Now I don't go overboard and spend the day at a fast food joint, but if I want pizza, or ice cream or whatever I will. Seems to help mentally reassure Im not starving to death lol. Anyone have any crazy cheat day stories or routines they utilize?

Replies

• ctychick
    ctychick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself Saturday mornings and then Sat day/night I indulge. I don't like to call it cheating, because we are supposed to be kind to ourselves and enjoy life. We normally go out with another couple on Saturday nights, so I can "mindfully indulge" and have the rest of the week for smarter choices.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I really don' beleive in cheat days!!! If your changing you lifestyle, why would you want to cheat.
  • BlueEyesXoXo
    Options
    I love cheat days, but like you I don't go crazy. Otherwise I just feel sick now.

Amazing that most of us used to eat worse than our cheat days everyday!
  • Biggrun
    Biggrun Posts: 12
    Options
    I think cheat days are important to keep you sane. I love various types of food and honestly it's sooo good lol.Before I really got serious I ate a lot, so 6 days a week of being strict won't be undone in one day, at least i dont believe. The only problem is not allowing one cheat day a week become 2...then 3..then oh well I am going to the movie so I might as well get this and that, and before you know it instead of one cheat day a week it goes to one healthy day a week lol
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days but I do have "treat meals" every now and then...Fridays are usually the day, so I grabbed some mac-n-cheese! If I had a whole 'treat day' I'd be in trouble. :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Would it work the other way, where you would eat nothing?

Surely the notion of 'shocking' the body with the increased calorie intake to kick it into gear would have the same effect on a day without food? I'm not suggesting or advocating this at all, and I don't personally feel comfortable with the idea with cheat days

Or is this totally idiotic way of thinking

I am a moron!
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days.

If I want something, I make it fit in my macros.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat days.

I second this guy. I feel like (and I say this out of my own personal experience so maybe this isn't true for you) the road to diet failure is paved with cheat days. In the past I've stuck to a strict low-cal diet (with cheat days), then when I get down to my goal weight my diet goes out the window. I obviously can't stick to a strict diet for the rest of my life that doesn't allow me things like chips/chocolate/burritos. So THIS TIME I am just working it into my daily calorie limit AND I am allowing myself to eat more then 1200 calories a day (1200 calorie limit was a silly idea on my part in the first place).

:)
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I feel the 'cheat day' mentality is part of why and how I got here. And it is a practice I have cut out of my life, hopefully for good.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I earn my cheat day by accumulating workout calories through out the week and then do a long workout on Saturday mornings and eat whatever I want the rest of that day. I am the type of person who can't have one cookie or a 1/2 cup of ice cream so this works out great for me because I know I only have one day to get all those weekly cravings in,. There are people on both sides of the fence with this but it comes down to doing what is right for you. If I told myself I could never have these foods without fitting them into my day I would have given up long ago but knowing that there is one day per week where I can have whatever I want and as much as I want I am doing good and can stick to eating well from Sunday to Friday. I do log in these cheat (earned) days and with a morning workout before I start eating I go over by only about 1500-2000 calories, well within my earned calories for the week range. The key to me being successful in this is to know that it is only one day and I cannot have that stuff the next day - one day only.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The only time I cheat is when my daughter makes cookies. And lately I've been avoiding them because of the wheat. I am a creature of habit and eat the same thing everyday. I'm good with that and it works for me. What ever works for you is the best plan.