first beginner/sprint triathalon

Options
I am training for a sprint distance triathalon.
400 meter swim
12 mile bike
5k run

So far I am on track with the running, which is the part I am most worried about because it's at the end and I will be gassed from the swim and bike. I know I could go run a decent 5k right now but it is the issue of putting it all together. I have 12 weeks to add the swimming and biking training. I know it isn't that much time but I know I can do it. When I start getting to the last 4 weeks or so do I need to start training where I do all three events in a row or can I train seperately for the sections of the race and be okay? Anyone with experience please give me your advice!

Replies

• freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have never done all three events in a row while training. I did do some brick workouts (bike ride immediately followed by a run).

The best part of having the run at the end is that you can always walk if you're too bagged to run. Your first triathlon is really about putting it all together and learning for next time. :)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    No experience with a triathlon, but I'm thinking about starting on them. My concern is the swimming, which for me is also called "drowning".
    Good luck with your training and your race! I'll be interested to see what other responses are.
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    I did a try with about the same distance. I tried all three at least a few times. You're biggest hurdle is going to be your transitions, so you need to practice and think through how you are going to do that. My strongest sport was running, so I was glad it was at the end - but my legs were totally gassed after peddling hard on the bike and I actually had to stop and walk to get some feeling back in them during the run. I still did pretty well, but I was so glad over!
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    www.beginnertriathlete.com is a good resource
  • Mdlea
    Mdlea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You might want to do some "brick" workouts. This is when you do 2 of the three events in a row, in succession. Doing all three in a row might be nice, but it's a lot of time most of us don't have in our daily workout schedule. Another thing to think about is your transitions. There are two: T1 (between swim and bike) and T2 (between bike and run). You can lose a lot of time if you don't practice getting through transition.

Other than that, keep training and have fun. Sprint triathlons are a lot of fun. I'm actually hoping to do a couple of Olympic distance triathlons later this year.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    there's a full 10 week training program here for beginners.

http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms.asp
  • Mdlea
    Mdlea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, a bunch of replies at once.
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had your same concerns for my first sprint last year. It is amazing how energized I was throughout the event.

99% of my training were the individual events. Swimming is important, but I was surprised at how many people didn't actually seem to know how to swim. And because it is <10 minutes of your time, I don't think it is as big of a deal to train for that as the bike and run. Bricks are good, but I only did one in training that was bike/run and realized that the minute I was in transition was enough to let my legs get back to running shape after the bike, so I didn't feel that was a big deal for me. and I did bike a couple of times to the pool, which is only .25 mile from my house, so that doesn't really count as a brick.

Good luck! I think they are super fun and am now slightly addicted!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    check out beginnertriathlete.com i'm doing my first sprint try this june, and i'm more then ready for it.

you don't need to do a practice run in all three, but a few bricks wouldn't hurt. a brick is when you do something like a 6 mile bike ride (or spinning machine) and a one mile run (or treadmill) and do this 3-4 times. it is done to simulate race conditions, and get your legs used to changing muscles it uses.

a swim-bike is not quite as important as an open ocean swim (if your event is in an open body of water). you should start swimming sooner, rather than later.

swimming is a lot like weight lifting in that it is more about form then it is about distance and speed, in the beginning at least. get your body used to the proper movements, develop muscle memory. look on youtube for videos on how to properly turn your head to breath and how to paddle and kick properly.

good luck
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I've done this exact distance. I did the bike/run "bricks" and sometimes I would do a short swim and then go to a spin class ~10-15 minutes later but never all three in one training workout.

Two tips. 1. Don't worry too much about the swim. Find a nice easy pace and stick with it. Over such a short distance, the difference between the fastest swimmer and the "average" swimmer is only about 3-4 minutes. I saw plenty of people push super hard on the swim and then were overly tired on the bike. 2. Triathlons are a FOUR sport event - don't forget about the transitions. I made up about 15 spots overall just because my transition times were good.
  • ozycat
    ozycat Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • firedudecndn
    Options
    For beginners a lot of time is wasted in these races in the transition zone and you also run the risk of being penalized. Standard tri rules say that you may not even TOUCH your bike if you're not wearing your helmet so here's what I suggest:

Train by doing a swim/run and a run/bike and at about the halfway point start doing it all together but not at the full distances you'll be racing at. Slowly add distance until you're at about 80% of the distances in the race. If you can do 80% you can do 100%

Practice transitioning. Practice taking off your wetsuit and getting in to your bike shoes. (some triathletes have their bike shoes clipped in to the pedals and they slide their feet in during the first 100 yards of the bike portion)

Have everything laid out in the order you will use it. Bike shoes in front of running shoes. Helmet on the bike shoes.
    When you exit the water and get to your bike station; FIRST THING YOU DO is put your helmet on. Then if you touch your bike you're ok. Either put on your bike shoes (use shoes with velcro straps) or start running and put them on when you're actually on the bike (see above).

When you get back from the bike the LAST THING YOU DO is take off your helmet. Get elastic running shoe laces so you can just slide in to your running shoes. It doesn't matter where your bike shoes end up, no need to be neat.

When you first get to your bike station in transition; stop. Take a deep breath and organize your mind. Hurrying makes you fumble. Work swiftly and follow the procedure you worked out in your transition practice. In time you'll be smooth and fast.

Respect the space of the person next to you and don't encroach on someone's stuff that is already set up. Nothing annoys me more than to come into transition and find some selfish @$$hole has moved my stuff. You deserve to get punched if you do this and if you find your stuff thrown all over transition because you messed with someone else's set up; you deserve that. Respect the other athletes.

Understand that the first 100 yards of the run your legs will be saying WTF!!!??!?!?!?! this will go away.

In all things remember you will not win this race so keep it fun, keep it fair and keep respect.

During the race you're going to have times when you feel good and you're going to have times when you feel bad, Neither one will last. Just keep going and you'll do fantastic.

Remember to race your race. Don't get into a pissing match with someone who is a wee bit faster than you. Save your matches for the end when you can evaluate how much energy you have left vs how much race you have left. You can always speed up throughout the race but if you burn out in the swim it will smack you in the @$$ in the run.

Do not use any food or drink or equipment you have not tested before hand.

About 4 days before the race take 3 days off and on the last day before the race go for a 10 minute run and a 20 minute bike. In both of these start off at a little kids pace and slowly work your way up to a race pace. Do not go longer than this
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    that's great information firedude. I'm on the cusp of signing up for a tri at the end of June but it's a 750m open water swim, a hilly bike ride and a flat run. I'm not that worried about the run, but the swim is a bit daunting and WTF does 'hilly' really mean?

I'm starting my swim training tomorrow and I WILL be concentrating on technique.
  • mwest11
    mwest11 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    WOOOOO! Thanks people! I just tried out a brick workout and I am so PUMPED! I biked 6 miles and then hopped on the treadmill. I ran a whole 5k!! First time I have ever completed it and first time I think I ever felt that runners high I have been waiting for. I feel AWESOME!! I think I will continue with this and swim seperately. The swim is the least of my worries because I was a lifeguard for 5 years and used to swim a couple miles a day so 400 meters should be a good warm up. WOW I am so excited right now... sorry for all the capitalizations and exclamation marks... this was a good milestone for me to reach!