Hard to take a day off now...

Options
graelwyn
graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
Might have become a bit too addicted to making sure I exercise everyday, and have not had a day off from cycling for well over a week now. I am just slightly afraid that my weight will shoot up on a rest day, because my body has become so used to that daily workout.

Anyone else get this sort of fear? I used to only exercise 3-4 days a week, not 7.

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Your body needs at least a day off every week to recover. You're going to wear yourself out, and that is the last thing you want. It puts a lot of strain on your body that it just can't handle. Be safe!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Might have become a bit too addicted to making sure I exercise everyday, and have not had a day off from cycling for well over a week now. I am just slightly afraid that my weight will shoot up on a rest day, because my body has become so used to that daily workout.

Anyone else get this sort of fear? I used to only exercise 3-4 days a week, not 7.

I'm no expert, but I've always read that you need a rest day, at least assuming really vigorous exercise. You could always do something like walk or stretch.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i don't think you need a rest from cardio...however weight lifting I'd say at least 1 day off
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    To be honest... your weight will probably go down after a rest day. That's what happens with me. Getting the proper rest for your muscles is just as important as getting the proper amount of exercise. :)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I hear ya... I started working out 7 days a week because I wanted to see faster results..... I haven't had a day off in over a month.
  • giddybutterfly
    Options
    I feel the same way - I dont like the feeling that I am getting. I did not exercise yesterday and am not going to be able to today either (but have every other day for about an hour a day strength and cardio) so I shouldnt feel that way.... but yes, irrational as it is - I feel bad about it if I cant exercise??
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you feel fine, keep working out. If you feel like you are dragging take a day off. One day off will not shoot your weight up, you might lose a pound.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    STOP obsessing. So you gain a pound big deal. Your body needs to rest.
  • jbrow2487
    jbrow2487 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hear you :P I have friends coming for the weekend so I won't be able to work out for the next 3 days because I just won't have the time. While I don't mind having a day off and am super pumped to see my friends, I'm kinda bummed that I won't get to work out for 3 days :S
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, and yes, I generally wake up feeling really tired and end up getting on the bike again just to wake myself up, as I don't know if the tiredness is too much exercise or a need for exercise.
    I am not massively active the rest of the day... I tend to sit at my laptop in the evenings, wander round the shops a bit, do some household stuff and sit for an hour when I get up.,

But I have been doing 90-150 minutes of pretty heavy, hilly cycling everyday and it is starting to get a bit of a compulsion.
    Think I might use tomorrow to join the local hotel fitness club (which includes a pool) and go swimming and walk instead, plus find out about this strength training I keep reading about.
  • graelwyn
    Options
    STOP obsessing. So you gain a pound big deal. Your body needs to rest.

You are right of course, I do tend to get obsessive about things once I start. :) I will take a rest day.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I think what's most important is that your need to exercise daily has put up a red flag for you. I think it's great that you are paying attention to how you feel about exercise, because anything that turns into an obsession/compulsion can be harmful, even if it starts out as a positive thing.

If you feel yourself becoming attached to exercise in an unhealthy way and obsessing over calories burned and numbers on the scale, please try your best to reel those feelings in by continuing to talk about them with others (like you are doing here) and by forcing yourself to take breaks from working out/weighing in, etc. (even if it's difficult to do).

Sometimes in the treatment of one addiction, we begin to develop another one that seems more beneficial. But again, anything has the ability to take over your life if you let it... especially if you are or have ever been prone to addiction.

Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Jillian Michaels DVD Ripped, she even says you need a rest day for your muscles to recover, I do 3 days rest 1 day then 3 days ect.

You feel more energised, just don't eat as much on your rest day or do something different like a walk or housework LOL

Good luck :smile:
    Alli
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Part of depends on the reason. If you are exercising every day because you fear gaining weight if you don't, that can be negative because it has an obsessive component that can drive you to exercise when you shouldn't --with an injury, illness, or when your spouse wants to have sex.

If you are working out every day because you enjoy it, then it can be managed. You still have to build in recovery, but recovery doesn't have to mean total rest. Just be aware of signs of overtraining--irritability, chronic fatigue, staleness when exercising, elevated resting heart rate, insomnia. When that happens, you pretty much have to stop for awhile. But you can manage a daily routine.
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You have some great ideas for an alternative. I did the same thing for about 2 weeks, noticed how run down I was and took a day off. It was amazing how great I felt and was able to work out more after the day off.

I like to feel guilty about not working out. Keeps me motivated to go. I try to think of working out as just another part of my day like makeup and hair. In fact, I would rather work out that do makeup and hair. I hate doing makeup and hair! :grumble:
  • graelwyn
    Options
    Part of depends on the reason. If you are exercising every day because you fear gaining weight if you don't, that can be negative because it has an obsessive component that can drive you to exercise when you shouldn't --with an injury, illness, or when your spouse wants to have sex.

If you are working out every day because you enjoy it, then it can be managed. You still have to build in recovery, but recovery doesn't have to mean total rest. Just be aware of signs of overtraining--irritability, chronic fatigue, staleness when exercising, elevated resting heart rate, insomnia. When that happens, you pretty much have to stop for awhile. But you can manage a daily routine.

Mix of both really. I really enjoy cycling most of the time, especially as it has been sunny and beautiful lately, but I also sometimes feel compelled to go out even if I am feeling tired and like just sitting doing nothing much of anything all day. I must admit, I was out cycling only a day after falling off and landing on my knee, but that was also to ensure I didn't develop a fear of cycling from having an accident.

I do fear putting on weight if I have a day off, totally. That is also quite a bit of what drives me. It does keep my weight where I want it to be.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are tired but still want to ride then just ride easy for a day. An hour of easy riding will rejuvenate you unless you are chronically overstrained.