MFP vs Weight Watchers?

Options
Hi All-

I've been on WW online since late January and have been doing very well, but I thought I'd check out MFP since it seems pretty similar in concept, it's FREE, and the phone app seems better than the WW one. Wondered if there's anyone who's been on MFP who has also done WW and what your thoughts are about the difference/similarities/benefits?

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Hey, How you doing? I have never done ww but if you hit the search function at the top of your page and type in weight watchers or "ww" there have been loads of ww coments and posts on here in the past. You should get some great info from them! I love mfp and it is free.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing WW base their points system on a typical 1200 calorie a day diet anyway. To test this, you can count the calories of what you would eat in a day on the WW plan. I've done WW before and it definitely works but the money I save from not paying for WW is going towards my exercise classes.
  • tcat2012
    tcat2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did ww online and liked it, but I think the montly fee is too high for what you're getting. MFP is better in my opinion; I also like that you can track your macros (when I belonged to ww you only tracked points...don't know if that's changed or not). It's also easier to track calories than points (again, just my my opinion). Also, MFP is more fitness-health oriented...I remember on the ww message boards it seemed as if a lot of talk was about low point puddings, cakes, etc. and I never liked the idea of trying to lose weight while eating junk. Finally...I like weighing in daily and tracking my fluctuations (I know most people don't think daily weighing is a good idea) but ww only lets you record yor weight weekly.
  • BeckySmith44
    Options
    I tried it briefly but hated the points system.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing WW base their points system on a typical 1200 calorie a day diet anyway. To test this, you can count the calories of what you would eat in a day on the WW plan. I've done WW before and it definitely works but the money I save from not paying for WW is going towards my exercise classes.

I track using WW and MFP and to stay in my daily points range (26) I can typically eat between 1200-1400 calories.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've personally never been on Weight Watchers but my mother was some years ago. She lost 100lbs but when her work quit having it for the employees she stopped since she couldn't afford the fees (it was relatively free at her work) and she tried to continue eating well but she was lost as far as calories and what was really going in her body every day. She ended up gaining it all back.

I think if you can incorporate more universal terms to the whole points thing then it's easier to go with even when you've stopped using WW.
  • Kathkeb
    Kathkeb Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't do WW on line, because I am a Lifetime member, and attend in-person meetings for free.
    I don't want to pay for something that I have earned for free --- I think that there should be a way for Lifetimer's to access their site (with our memebership number) for free.

So --- I come here to track and use the community boards and I attend WW in person on Saturday mornings.

I will say that the monthly weigh-in helps to keep me accountable.
  • kaitlynnrogers
    kaitlynnrogers Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    honestly, this is much better..weight watchers can have you eating less than 1200 calories a day..you need to NET above your BMR so your body can burn fat instead of getting rid of lean muscle..

see my post for everyone who had success:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539980-people-who-have-had-success-by-upping-their-calories
  • MommaTLE
    MommaTLE Posts: 10
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers a couple years ago and lost over 25 pounds. I loved it. However, I think MFP much easier to use and love the phone app. It is all about exercise and portion control and love that MFP is free.
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I've learnt that the only support and motivation I need is within my own mind. Some people need to go to meetings for people support and that's fine. However, there's heaps of people support in here too. I don't need WW but I do need MFP (or something outside of myself) to make me accountable. So easy to cheat when you don't have a plan.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It depends on your temperament.
    My wife is doing very well with weight watchers, and she had much more modest success here.
    On the other hand, the points confuse me, and I would much rather tweak things here.
    Burn more, eat less, and however you get there, as long as it's healthy, is fine.
  • Kahlan_sw
    Options
    I've done both . I never really loved WW online (I prefered the meetings)... yet for an online system I love MFP by far over WW. I like not having to calculate out points. a calorie is a calorie and therefore it takes less figuring. HOWEVER the thing to keep in mind is that WW scales points values partly to encourage you to eat healthier foods so if you are going to switch to MFP set some fruit, veg and lean protein goals so you continue to consciously make those good decisions :)
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I never learned half as much about how to eat healthy at weight watchers as I have here. When I did WW I lost, but the importance of strength training to build muscle was never brought up. I see changes in my body following MFP that wasn't happeing on WW. And I have to say the info I have learned from the the MFP members has been awesome. I learned here more than anything that you must eat to lose and that the muscle I'm building through resistance training will help me burn fat 24/7, this in turn will help me to keep the weight off.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Once you get familiar with Weight Watchers, you can easily follow it here for tracking. You know what you can eat if you've been doing it while and maybe even have some of the books. I spent about 2 years analyzing and over that 2 years it very steadily came out to 40 calories per Weight Watchers point. SO, you can follow Weight Watchers here - eating a reasonable diet with portion control, and you know how much Weight Watchers says for you to eat per day in points, etc. You can do the same thing here.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    weight watchers can have you eating less than 1200 calories a day..you need to NET above your BMR so your body can burn fat instead of getting rid of lean muscle..

You can eat more than 1200 calories if you make the right food choices. I have been doing both WW and MFP for a while. I eat around 1600 calories sometimes more. I make healthy lower point choices, fruits and veggies are free, and I eat back my activity points and my weekly points. You can also do simply filling which will have you making good healthy food choices and netting over 1200 calories. That said, I think you can be just as effective here if you don't stick with a 1200 calorie diet, but exercise and eat at least your BMR. I like WW for the community. I have made good friends there so I have not left. I log in both places and I like doing that. At the end of the day it is all about making good healthy food choices and burning more calories than you eat. IMO you should use which ever forum you think is easier to use and offers you the type of support you need.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    From what I know of it, the difference basically comes down to:

On weight watchers, they have all the information, and use it to create a set of rules for their clients to stick by.

On MFP, you get your own knowledge and create your own rules (with the aid of MFPs calculations) on how to progress.

I really disagree with organisations like WW if I'm honest. I don't believe in the way they work and I think they charge a lot of money for information that is readily available if people were only to look.

Also, I don't like that success is measured at 'weigh ins'. As most people on here, I'm sure, know, weight isn't the necessarily best judge of progress.

It's comparable to always having used a calculator and so not knowing how to add up yourself. One day the calculator isn't going to work and you will be totally lost. Get the information to make your own informed choices.
  • Travelfixer
    Travelfixer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yes done WW twice, didn't lose a thing, since being on MFP lost 14 lbs, love it!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I discovered MFP after using WW for 3 months. I dropped it and started using this. it is same concept and it is free.
  • busymom557
    busymom557 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! :smile: I think I'll try tracking both places for a while how see how it goes. So far it's a bit confusing; e.g. right now I am under my daily WW pts by 2, but on MFP I am over my allotted calories by 289 even when my activity for the day was added in. I'm not sure how I'd be able to succeed that way. I've lost steadily on WW (online only, no meetings) but I know when I reach goal I'll have to keep on paying to use the tools and I'm not happy about that. So we'll see how it goes I guess!
  • busymom557
    busymom557 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I discovered MFP after using WW for 3 months. I dropped it and started using this. it is same concept and it is free.

Wow I just looked at your profile and see how successful you've been! That is encouraging, given what you said above. Thanks for the input!