Stronger Than Sprinkles

Options
Not your typical success story but hey--celebrate the small victories, right? So there's this cupcake spot in LA called Sprinkles. It's totally overpriced and a bit overhyped, but I can never resist stopping by on the rare occasion I'm there. These things are effing delicious. Rich and packed with fat--the way a cupcake should be. Imagine the equal parts horror and excitement I felt when I realized there was a location much closer to my house. My friend (a Sprinkles virgin) was in town last week so naturally I just HAD to take her there. Besides, my whole week was already a caloric nightmare with our trips to restaurants and theme parks...might as well eat a 450 calorie cupcake. So I buy four to take home for the boyfriend and I to share. He eats one. I eat one. I enter it into MFP and--wow--yikes. Fail. (I guess that's the danger in eating first, checking calories second.) Friend goes back home.

Ever since Sunday these delicious *kitten* have been hanging out in my cupboard (going quite stale, I might add) and I could swear they've been talking to me. I even pulled them out of their pretty little box last night and decided they weren't worth it before putting them back. I might have smelled one too. Don't judge. There's a pumpkin (my favorite one of all) and a chocolate one. "Maybe I'll leave them for the boyfriend," I've been telling myself, exercising all the willpower I have. "Surely he'll eat them so I don't have to." Aren't our minds crazy things? I know damn well he won't touch anything with pumpkin in it so essentially I'm delaying my own caloric demise. Until today.

I realized how silly it was--this war I've been having with a cupcake. So I threw them away. Both of them. In all their delicious-$4.50-a-piece glory.

They are sitting at the bottom of my trash can. I won.

How did you conquer your (irrational) battles today? Mental or physical...let's hear them.

Replies

• stephsteph76
    stephsteph76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I work at a donut shop. We have been selling Easter oriented cookies and cakes. Today we baked some white and chocolate shaped egg cakes. I wanted a chocolate covered egg cake. I stared at them and finally my boss eats one. Usually my boss will divide a donut or cake in half and share. He left his half on the table and I did not eat it. I was proud.

The worst part about working at a donut shop is not really the donuts anymore (I have been working there for 2 years now) is the sugar cookies we have for different holidays. We currently have egg icing sugar cookies. I pulled out the tray of sugar cookies at least two times and stared at them for five different times. Instead of having a sugar cookie, I had a Special K bar. Today was pretty successful I must say.

Congrats on not eating a cupcake!! :)
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Doesnt it feel good to throw it away. Love those moments when you know you Won!!
  • seizethefray
    Options
    It does! It feels great. :) And there are tons of other things I can eat to satisfy my sweet tooth without ruining a whole day of eating well.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You rock, period.
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Awesome job, mazureks! That must be a hell of a temptation. I was a server at a Mexican food restaurant for a year so I know how hard it can be when you work around food all day. Thankfully ours was nasty though, so... :)
  • theCoke
    theCoke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I resisted my favorite dessert at work--chocolate ganache tarts. We haven't had them in forever. I was rationalizing having one since it's been so long and since everybody else was mowing them down...but I DIDN'T! I had a bowl of granola with vanilla silk for dinner which satisfied my sweet tooth AND was nutritious!
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Nice job! I find it especially hard to resist junk food in the office when everyone else is eating it. I declined to go in on pizza the other day with my coworkers and one girl was like, "Oh c'mon. Just soak off the grease with a paper towel." Uhhh...really?
  • lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    my kids left some french fries in the bottom of the bag...who leaves french fries????!!!! i ate some, sue me. but i threw away the rest before i licked the salt out of the creases of the bag.

it was a kid size portion so a few was ok. hell, i even logged em....boo-yah fries.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ha! This made me laugh. I thought I was the only one who heard food talking. My food, especially sweets, has a very seductive voice. Kind of like Barry White or Lou Rawls. You are a stronger woman than I. Good job!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Ha! This made me laugh. I thought I was the only one who heard food talking. My food, especially sweets, has a very seductive voice. Kind of like Barry White or Lou Rawls. You are a stronger woman than I. Good job!

I read Betty White at first....lol
  • tjones0927
    tjones0927 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I turned down popcorn at the theater last week.....that use to take an act of congress! This time I just pretended it wasn't popcorn, but rather someones perfume I was smelling.

Good job on the cupcakes! My mom bakes cupcakes as a side job so I just try to not go over there when she is filling a order :)
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had a bag of Doritos in my hand for about 10 minutes. I walked around with them and almost opened them a couple different times. Granted, it was a 1oz bag of Spicy Doritos but still....Doritos were a weakness for me. I don't like spicy things normally, but they were still Doritos. My son kept saying "They aren't bad at all". Didn't help LOL

I'm proud to say....I put them back and walked away. :-) I can't guarantee I will in the future....but for my TOM being here and me turning down Doritos. That's a heck of an accomplishment :laugh:
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    okay while today wasn't the greatest (calorie fine sodium fail a&w can just blow up!) last week was AWESOME daughters bday is the 9th and i'm testing a new cake recipe, red velvet from scratch with cream cheese filling and buttercream frosting (also all from scratch) i DID NOT lick the bowl, i DID NOT taste test 'to make sure it's good' any of it! i had one small piece after dinner that was logged before eaten to make sure the numbers would allow it! and that was it, i left the rest for dh and threw out 1/3 of it since he forgot it was there (even though i didn't, every time i went into the kitchen!)
    WTG on throwing out the cupcakes, and WTG to all of you for your own victories, let them build!!
  • seizethefray
    Options

Haha! Totally. Junk food is loud and annoying.
  • notjustem
    Options
    I tossed the last peice of cheese cake today. and i wanted it soo bad.

its gone tho, first small victory!
  • seizethefray
    Options
    I can relate to all these stories! It's only when I step back and realize that I'm letting FOOD control my mind do I realize how ridiculous it is. I also think of my friend as inspiration. She lost a ton of weight the right way and when I asked her how it felt to have to eat right all the time and be on such a strict diet, she said, "Eh. I don't feel like I'm missing out. I already know how it tastes." It was so simple but profound to me. I know how a cupcake tastes. What I don't know, however, is what having a flat tummy feels like. Which do I want more?

Nice job, ladies!
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It wasn't from today, but I have a serious appreciation for cupcakes. As in I could polish off a frightening amount at once. So on St Patrick's Day, my dearest friend who's letting me stay with her for now decided to make Guinness stout cupcakes with an Irish whiskey ganache and Bailey's frosting.

Yes, I had one. But I left it there, no matter how long they were in the house. I had the one, and it somehow fit into my calories for the day. While they had others over the next few days- I said no thanks.

Last year I would've dove right in with them.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I have been craving donuts but I knew if I gave in I would have issues. my son was home sick yesterday. i said do you want anything while I take your brother to school, donuts his says. figures I say. and you know what, I only bought two for each kid, and I didnt even ask for a bite which I usually do. so proud of myself. its not that I couldnt have fit it in. I just really decided it wasnt worth the sugar rush and possible tank of my blood sugar and subsequent crash of my whole body!
  • seizethefray
    Options
    my dearest friend who's letting me stay with her for now decided to make Guinness stout cupcakes with an Irish whiskey ganache and Bailey's frosting.

Sweet mother of mercy. Those sound absolutely divine. Way better than Sprinkles. Great job on the self control!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    my dearest friend who's letting me stay with her for now decided to make Guinness stout cupcakes with an Irish whiskey ganache and Bailey's frosting.

Sweet mother of mercy. Those sound absolutely divine. Way better than Sprinkles. Great job on the self control!

Those sound amazing. I worked with a baker who made some Guinness brownies that were absolutely to die for. I'm glad I didn't get the recipe from her.....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!