stupid friggin fraggle staggle

Options
Alright so I went jogging tonight, and from the beginning I was pushing it because I wanted to beat a PR of mine. Oh I forgot to mention I went jogging around Lake Mission Viejo (google image it!!!!) and its just over 3 miles. This is my second time running around it, the first was 35 minutes, and today I was pushing to break my PR of 35 and get to 30 minutes.

So I get to the beast, which is a monster hill, and I'm feeling good cruising to it, pushing up it, putting the pain and fatigue away, and I realize that I started slowing down just as I get the exponentially increasing portion. I pick it back up and push through to the end. I get to the corner where I started, pull out the iPod on approach!!!!!!! 33 minutes : ( I was crushed, I thought for sure I was going to get it, with my foot falling asleep and all.

I'm hoping to break it and get my 30 minutes next time, it makes me sad : (

Replies

• nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    fraggle staggle lol:laugh:
    you still broke the record! keep it up and i'm sure you'll be at your goal soon
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Alright so I went jogging tonight, and from the beginning I was pushing it because I wanted to beat a PR of mine. Oh I forgot to mention I went jogging around Lake Mission Viejo (google image it!!!!) and its just over 3 miles. This is my second time running around it, the first was 35 minutes, and today I was pushing to break my PR of 35 and get to 30 minutes.

So I get to the beast, which is a monster hill, and I'm feeling good cruising to it, pushing up it, putting the pain and fatigue away, and I realize that I started slowing down just as I get the exponentially increasing portion. I pick it back up and push through to the end. I get to the corner where I started, pull out the iPod on approach!!!!!!! 33 minutes : ( I was crushed, I thought for sure I was going to get it, with my foot falling asleep and all.

I don't know what your overall routine is, but two things to think about if you are trying a race or an individual "PR" run:

Do a warm up first--jog for 5-10 min and then maybe some strides.

Start out a little slower than goal pace--it usually makes you a lot stronger in the second half.

Don't know what other training feedback you were getting to make you think you could improve 5 min in one jump, but 35 min to 33 min is pretty good improvement.

Good luck.
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options

well thanks guys! I'm not in such a cranky mode this morning anymore : ) but yeah my warm up includes a 10 minute walk to the lake, and then i just take off.
    I don't know what your overall routine is, but two things to think about if you are trying a race or an individual "PR" run:

Do a warm up first--jog for 5-10 min and then maybe some strides.

Start out a little slower than goal pace--it usually makes you a lot stronger in the second half.

Don't know what other training feedback you were getting to make you think you could improve 5 min in one jump, but 35 min to 33 min is pretty good improvement.

Good luck.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing.
    Try to improve by 30s to 1m each time, not 5m each time. That is not a realistic goal (it will only leave you in pain!!!)
    :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    And since you got it stuck in my head....

DANCE YOUR CARES AWAY *clap clap*
    WORRIES FOR ANOTHER DAY
    LET THE MUSIC PLAY *clap clap*
    DOWN IN FRAGGLE ROCK!

fraggles.jpg
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I thought that was only a Canadian show!!

Bates - you are so close - can't you enjoy what you just accomplished? YOU DA MAN!!!
  • Schaff
    Schaff Posts: 83
    Options
    Nothing wrong with shaving 2 minutes off your PR!!! Remember, slow and steady progress is better every time! I have also been trying to work on speeding up my runs over the past few months. Do you do any speedwork? I started doing some on the treadmill and the track and I have seen a huge improvement, really without me even trying to be faster. I do my long run on Saturday, a 5.8 mile loop that has a KILLER hill around 3 miles in. When I finished I checked my HR monitor and I realized that I had done it in about an hour and some change, which is about 10 minutes faster than when I first started running the route about two months ago. I really wasn't trying to be faster, I was just kinda going along, working more on being efficient with my energy when I had to tackle the hills, especially that monster!

Anyway, I happen to believe that doing a least one day of speedwork during the week really contributed to my time. Check out runners world for some beginner programs for the track or treadmill. They make the time go faster, and I really do think you will see an improvement in your time. It has to do with conditioning different muscle fibers to fire, which ultimately make you go faster. Finally, some fundamental advice: every run should have a purpose, find out what that is for each one and you should reach that PR in no time!
  • bates
    Options
    Alright guys, today is the day!!!!

Time to shave more time off, I'll let you know how it goes later tonight!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Thanks Bates, guess what is stuck in my head again?? :laugh:

Good luck with your run :smile:
    DANCE YOUR CARES AWAY *clap clap*
    WORRIES FOR ANOTHER DAY
    LET THE MUSIC PLAY *clap clap*
    DOWN IN FRAGGLE ROCK!

fraggles.jpg
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought you were mad because you ate some kind of high calorie but delicious snack called fraggle staggle. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Be careful! Shaving 2 minutes off is great!! Dont want to injure yourself and then not run at all.
  • bates
    Options
    Oh, I thought you were mad because you ate some kind of high calorie but delicious snack called fraggle staggle. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

Well that too, but that was today : ( might have to do extra, even though I'm still under for today... so far