Explain importance of a HRM?

Options
Still pretty new at this and I have noticed people mentioning having a heart rate monitor. Can someone please explain the importance of it? Maybe even recommend a good one to get? Thanks!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    A good heart rate monitor tracks your heart rate through your workout and can give you a more accurate estimate of calories burned. It should have the option for you to enter your age, gender, weight, activity level, etc for even more accuracy. The best ones generally have a chest strap that reads the heart rate and send the info to a watch where you track all the info.

I have a New Balance N4 and am very happy with it. You'll find most members here like the Polar models (there are several).
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    It's the most accurate way to know how many calories you burn while exercising. Polar FT4 is popular, and the one I have.
  • beautyreaps
    beautyreaps Posts: 151
    Options
    People use heart rate monitors to get a better estimate as to how many calories they're burning while working out. Either by equations using their measured heart rate OR (as most do) use the calorie burn given on the monitor/watch. I use a Polar M52. It works really well for me and gives me a caloric burn based on my age, weight, height, V02max and gender. Hope that helps (:
  • AmberFaith90
    AmberFaith90 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I like knowing how many calories I'm burning (as accurately as possible), so I know how much more I can have to eat. Most machines tend to either over-shoot calories or under-shoot. I currently use a Polar model, and I love it. I bought it from Amazon, and it has tons of great reviews.
  • genuinelyfrans
    Options
    Which are the best HRM watches to but for a low price (I only have about $30 to spend)?
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4.
    I love it!!!
    I got tired of guessing about how many calories I was burning. Now I know EXACTLY what I'm burning!!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Like my HRM, but love my Fitbit more!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure you could get a good HRM for $30, most Polar's are around $90+
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Which are the best HRM watches to but for a low price (I only have about $30 to spend)?

Unfortunately, you're not going to find one that is any good for that price!
    The best ones are going to be anywhere from $80-150.
    You need one with a chest strap.
    I didn't want to spend that kind of money on one...but it has paid for itself!
  • amackenzie0214
    Options
    I love my polar been using them for 12 years now. Besides telling me how many calories I burn during a workout (enabling me to know if i can eat that extra snack or not for that day) mine has three zones (low intensity, medium intensity, hard intensity) so during a workout I know when I'm pushing it and when I'm not. Also polar works with most gym equipment so you can see you heart rate on the equipment without focusing on your watch which allows you to keep your HR where you want it.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Like my HRM, but love my Fitbit more!

Please explain advantages of each?
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I use my primarily for the calories burned. I haven't figured out all of the other features with it yet. :laugh: I just got it a couple of days ago. I believe it's a Polar model...with a chest strap. :happy:
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Oregon Scientific makes low cost HRMs with chest straps. They get good reviews on Amazon. Also check Ebay for deals.
  • OccupyFitness
    Options
    I don't have one but I want one because I feel like I often engage in non-traditional exercise, mostly yard work, and I have no idea what sort of calories I am burning. It would be so great to know more accurately what I am burning when I am going to rake for an hour, etc...
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else, I like to know exactly what I am burning and also like to keep an eye on my heart rate. MFP can under or over estimate calories burnt, so at least with my HRM I know what is correct for me

I have a Polar FT7
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I don't have one but I want one because I feel like I often engage in non-traditional exercise, mostly yard work, and I have no idea what sort of calories I am burning. It would be so great to know more accurately what I am burning when I am going to rake for an hour, etc...

I intend to use my HRM for this a lot over the next few weeks because i'll be doing a lot of manual labour on our renovation... It will be really interesting to see what I burn :smile:
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mine because it turns out I was burning 100-200 more calories than I estimated, so now I have a more accurate measurement. Although from what I've read, a lot of people here had the opposite effect, it showed that they burned less than they thought, but still it's important to get measurements of calories in/out as accurate as you can. I would not spend $30 and get a cheap one, I would save up if I needed to to get a good one. Make sure it has a chest strap. I got a polar on Amazon. You might be able to find a used one on ebay but I would buy a new chest strap.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm not sure that I would trust one because I think they only work accurately when your heartrate is consistently high. So it would be fine for running or spinning etc but people use them for things like Zumba, yoga or walking where the heartrate is going to vary hugely and, if you're not very careful (which I know I wouldn't be!) you could overestimate the burn and could easily overeat.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    POLAR FT7

It gives you fitness minutes and fat burn minutes..Logs your daily and weekly workouts...Paid £64.00 inc postage from amazon.co.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=sports&field-keywords=Polar+FT7+Heart+Rate+Monitor