soy crumbles...

Magenta15
Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
Hello :smile:

quick question for you soy/tofu eating peoples out there :happy:
I just had a delish homemade taco salad loads of veggies, measured cheese and beef, and salsa no dressing...

i used lean ground beef and even rinsed it after cooking but 3 oz of lean beef is still pretty high in cals
when all i wanted was a big yummy filling salad...

just wondering who out there uses the soy crumbles in something like this, i realize it's way lower in cals. but at least in a sauce or chili they would absorb some tomato and spices flavoring i assume, but just plain on a salad in place of beef, how is the taste? what can i compare it to? texture?

lol as you can see i've never had them before so any insight or advice on how to use it would be great,
and the last time i tried a boco burger or something of that sort it tasted like cardboard, but that was a few years back when they were just starting to be in the stores regularly, i am told they've come a long way.

i look forward to your responses:flowerforyou:

Replies

• I love them! What i had were veggie crumbles ( i found them in the nutrition section of my grocery store) They are delicious, even my hubby liked them and he hates veggie burgers and all that stuff. I have only make them twice, they first time was to make stuffed red peppers, and then for enchiladas. I was actually shocked when i ate them, i was expecting them to be bland but they were VERY good and filling!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    If you must use something pre-packaged then go for the Boca brand, they taste better than any other's we've had. Take a serving of them, toss in some worchteshire sauce and/or liquid smoke flavoring and heat up. Then toss them on your salads etc. Yumminess.

We use TVP instead because it's cheaper (buy in bulk at Whole Foods) and doesn't have stuff added to it. Plus I have issues with how overpriced veggie stuff is at grocery stores. lol. Take the dry tvp and add water, bbq sauce/liquid smoke/molasses etc and use it. It's a fine fine grain so it might take a bit to get used to . But once you do- it's like candy lol Ok maybe not JUST like candy- but like a wonderful meat-free candy :tongue:
  • I wouldn't recommend them plain. :noway:
    But I use them in sauces, chili or sloppy joes.

For my salads, I use black beans.....well I use beans for everything, :laugh: But if you want a good taco salad, toss in some rinsed black beans and salsa (I like to add a dash of ranch to my salsa and mix it up real good) Or! Try Amy's Texas veggie burger, crumble it up into your salad...that would be really GOOD!!! Amy's veggie burgers are soooo delish! And there are a few to choose from, but the texas one would probably make a great taco salad!!!

I'm sure if you cook the crumbles with some cumin and red pepper, or plain taco seasoning it would taste fine....but plain????? I can't imagine:wink:

Now I want a veggie burger, LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • I am a vegetarian but my husband is not. I have made many recipes with the soy crumbles and he never knows it's not real beef :happy: Well... now I think he is on to me. I made sloppy joes they were really good. After my husband ate 2 I told him it wasn't beef. He looked at it and then said "wow, that is really good ground turkey!" :laugh:
    I've never tried them in a taco salad, but I think it would be good. They are more tender than ground beef but pretty similar in look and taste.
    While you're trying some vegetarian alternatives, I really recommend Garden Burger's Black Bean Chipotle burgers. Fantastic with a little fat free cheese and homemade guacamole! Yummmmm!!! Also, Morningstar's Chick-N strips are great. They're low in calories but get really crispy when you bake them in the oven. I eat them on a salad with honey mustard dressing.
    Ok... I'm hungry... :smile:
  • I would stay away from highly processed soy products like those soy crumbles if I were you. If you aren't a vegetarian, I see no need for you to replace the meat with the soy product (it's not nearly as beneficial for you as soy in its unprocessed form or fermented form). :wink:
  • I love them! What i had were veggie crumbles ( i found them in the nutrition section of my grocery store) They are delicious, even my hubby liked them and he hates veggie burgers and all that stuff. I have only make them twice, they first time was to make stuffed red peppers, and then for enchiladas. I was actually shocked when i ate them, i was expecting them to be bland but they were VERY good and filling!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Isn't it funny how you have to find the nutrition section of the grocery store to get healthy food???? LOL, sorry to go off the topic of the original post, but thats just too funny! I get most of my stuff in the "nutritious section" The rest of the building should just be blocked off, lol:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • i jsut remembered what brand i bought. Its called Quorn. And they are also soy free
  • oh yes... i pretty much only shop the outer permimeter of my grocery store.
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    I use the LightLife vegetarian ground "meats" and I think they are really good. But I also haven't eaten meat in almost 20 years, so my palate might not be the same as yours!

But I think they are a good substitute in chili, sloppy joes, tacos and pasta dishes.

The Smart Ground "Original" is sort of the all-around good for anything version. They also have a beef version and a taco version that is already spicy.

Morningstar also has a pre-made crumble, but I think the LightLife taste better.
  • Magenta15
    LOL now i am more confused!!!

many of you have given me some great choices AWESOME! thanks

but some have said if i am a meat eater not to bother as meat alternatives are processed [and yet less calories]

so which is the lesser evil? and is there maybe one brand that is less processed [= fewer ingredients] then others???

ahhhhh lol!:noway:
  • I don't see the problem with eating a meat substitute instead of meat if you aren't a vegetarian. I'm a vegetarian and sometimes I eat chicken.:wink:
  • If you want to eat meat substitutes, fine it's your choice, but do not eat soy meat substitutes ever! A lot of companies in their quest to save money do not even use real soy, they isolate the soy proteins changing them and these are NOT good for you, they are toxic. Processed soy is never a good idea. You don't even know if the soy that they use is GMO! 85% of the soy produced in the US is GMO. o.O
  • Magenta15
    If you want to eat meat substitutes, fine it's your choice, but do not eat soy meat substitutes ever! A lot of companies in their quest to save money do not even use real soy, they isolate the soy proteins changing them and these are NOT good for you, they are toxic. Processed soy is never a good idea. You don't even know if the soy that they use is GMO! 85% of the soy produced in the US is GMO. o.O

it's not that i "want" to i am trying to educate myself on it - which is why your thread confused me :blushing:

i am ignorant on this subject could you please explain to me the difference???

where you say fine eat meat substitutes but not soy meat substitutes?? I guess in my limited knowlege i thought they were all soy --- but i guess some of like the burgers are veggie not soy, so i could use those?? is that what you mean?

Thanks for taking the time to set me straight:embarassed:
  • If you want to eat meat substitutes, fine it's your choice, but do not eat soy meat substitutes ever! A lot of companies in their quest to save money do not even use real soy, they isolate the soy proteins changing them and these are NOT good for you, they are toxic. Processed soy is never a good idea. You don't even know if the soy that they use is GMO! 85% of the soy produced in the US is GMO. o.O

it's not that i "want" to i am trying to educate myself on it - which is why your thread confused me :blushing:

i am ignorant on this subject could you please explain to me the difference???

where you say fine eat meat substitutes but not soy meat substitutes?? I guess in my limited knowlege i thought they were all soy --- but i guess some of like the burgers are veggie not soy, so i could use those?? is that what you mean?

Thanks for taking the time to set me straight:embarassed:

This soy article that I found by Eden Organic is quite good. It explains how processed soy is bad and unprocessed soy (prepared in the correct way) is good.
    http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=80

There are meat substitutes that aren't made from soy. I do not care for fake meat. I've tried it and it's .... :sick:. But I know that there are. Like mushrooms, beans, seitan, tempeh, etc. I'm not a vegetarian by any means so I really don't have a lot of experience with meat substitutes.
  • Here is something on the dangers of genetically modified foods. Most soy is genetically modified and companies are not required to say it on their foods.
    http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/view.php?articles_id=68
  • Magenta15
    ahhhh ok :smile: thank you , will do some reading!:flowerforyou:
  • http://www.utne.com/2007-07-01/Science-Technology/The-Dark-Side-of-Soy.aspx

You'll be surprised at how much processed soy is in our food.
  • http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=79
    Very good article on soy. Good site for the healthy foods too.
This discussion has been closed.