My Dr. says I need more iron!

Options

Replies

• rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    :happy: thank you all for all the tips and I do feel much better now and I will try some of them starting tomarrow .
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Have you been tested for celiac disease?
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Plenty of iron in a Big Mac! No, just jokes. A big piece of steak or lean roast beef with low fat gravy to make it yummier. Have with your greens and a piece of citrus fruit (that helps to absorb the iron, apparently).
  • rpphillip
    Options
    Have you been tested for celiac disease?

yes and I have had a upper and lower GI and it all checked out ok. NO Celiac Disease
  • rpphillip
    Options
    Plenty of iron in a Big Mac! No, just jokes. A big piece of steak or lean roast beef with low fat gravy to make it yummier. Have with your greens and a piece of citrus fruit (that helps to absorb the iron, apparently).

LOL I knew those big Mac's had to have something in them:laugh: When at Mc Donalds I usally order chicken.
    I will try the Citrus with meals that have meat in them .
  • rpphillip
    Options
    OK here is the plan eat more meat and green vegs. drink water with citrus and or oj, take a slow acting iron pill and or try to take a smaller dose by cutting pill in halfe and see if that works and I do have B12 at home so I will try that also. I need to drink more water any way and cut out some of the coffee that I drink.
    Thank you so much and I will start with these tips and I will make another post to let you know how it works.
    thank you all !
  • FlynnMacCallister
    FlynnMacCallister Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    OK here is the plan eat more meat and green vegs. drink water with citrus and or oj, take a slow acting iron pill and or try to take a smaller dose by cutting pill in halfe and see if that works and I do have B12 at home so I will try that also. I need to drink more water any way and cut out some of the coffee that I drink.
    Thank you so much and I will start with these tips and I will make another post to let you know how it works.
    thank you all !

Excellent! Good luck. ^__^
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not your doctor but I would suggest not taking the iron supplements unless your iron count is dangerously low. I was anemic as well and my doctor prescribed me an iron supplement, although an over the counter supplement works just as well, and after I ran out of iron tablets I had the WORST constipation!!! The pain was excruciating.

I would suggest getting your iron through diet. Oatmeal and beans are both very high in iron. Two 100 calorie packs of original Quaker instant oatmeal contains 80% of your daily value of iron. HTH.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You have gotten a lot of great advice. I wanted to add that being anemic will make you have less energy. Anemia can reach the point it is quite debilitating. I spent 2 months in bed because I didn't have the energy to get up. I was sleeping 12 or more hours a day. Eating lots of fiber and drinking lots of water will often keep you regular. For a while, I was taking some kind of prescription megadose and was fine because of those 2 things.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    BTW, paradoxically, my iron was always low until I went vegetarian. I am intolerant of something in meat and it was apparently causing me to lose iron (maybe a slow bleed in my gut) rather than providing more bioavailable iron. Strange.
  • Avengertk
    Avengertk Posts: 102
    Options
    sorry hun I feel for ya but am on the iron tablets 120mg twice a day starting to feel a bit better but slow progress.... my iron count is 8.2 currently.

wish there was another way xx tried the green leafy foods, vit c , no tea etc etc lots of useful advice but no good iron pills the way forward if you want to feel bettter.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I see several people have suggested cast iron cookware. Love my cast iron!

Also, if you buy REAL maple syrup (not the pancake syrups that are artificially-flavored corn syrup), it is high in iron. So what you need is BREAKFAST! Steak cooked in an iron skillet, pancakes with real maple syrup, and a big ol' glass of orange juice! That's the ticket!

You know, I think I'm gonna try to get more iron in my diet... BREAKFAST HERE I COME!! :tongue:
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    As a southern gal my suggestion would be fried chicken livers.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Hershey's special dark cocoa powder -- I use it to make sugar free hot chocolate at work. Each Tbsp has 10% USRDA of iron. Don't use regular, which only has 2%.

Nutrition Information

Kosher Status: OU
    Serving Size: 1 tbsp. (5.00 g)
    Total Calories 10
    Calories from Fat 5
    Amount Per Serving %DV *
    Total Fat .5 g 1%
    Sodium 65 mg 3%
    Total Carbohydrate 3 g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugar Alcohols 0%
    Protein 1 g
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 0%
    Iron 10%
    *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
    Calories: 2,000 2,500
    Total Fat Less than 65g 80g
    Sat Fat Less than 20g 25g
    Cholesterol Less than 300mg 300mg
    Sodium Less than 2,400mg 2,400mg
    Total Carbohydrate 300g 375g
    Dietary Fiber 25g 30g

Hershey's goal is to keep each product's nutrition information up-to-date and accurate but please consult the label on the product's packaging before using. If you notice that something is different on a product's label than appears on our website, please call us for more information at (800) 468-1714.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I found that taking prenatals with iron were better on my stomach than just a regular iron pill. I take it with a whole glass of water every time. Be careful not to take with milk as calcium can affect the absorption of iron. As for defeating constipation, extra water and water-filled foods like melons, citrus, and the like. Also, I use flax seed in yogurt, smoothies, and sauces to boost my fiber.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    As a guy that loves steak, IF I had to have a problem, this would be ideal.
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was severely anemic and put on Slow FE. I was supposed to take 2 a day - it caused the worst abdominal pain in my life! When I moved to one a day, I have not had any problems. I also do make sure to still eat lean red meat during TOM.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I had anemia for a period of time. I took a very potent Iron supplement for a while. Liver is a good dietary source, but I can't stand the smell.

You normally take special supplements only for a limited time.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I see several people have suggested cast iron cookware. Love my cast iron!

Also, if you buy REAL maple syrup (not the pancake syrups that are artificially-flavored corn syrup), it is high in iron. So what you need is BREAKFAST! Steak cooked in an iron skillet, pancakes with real maple syrup, and a big ol' glass of orange juice! That's the ticket!

You know, I think I'm gonna try to get more iron in my diet... BREAKFAST HERE I COME!! :tongue:

You're right that maple syrup has minerals, but it also has a lot of calories, so watch out.
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Do you like popcorn and a movie! Thats how I get my IRON and I actually crave it because its so yummy!

Recipe for Brewers Yeast Popcorn

1 large bowl of air popped popcorn (White is tastier than yellow corn)
    Drizzle warm olive oil over the popcorn to your desired amount (I like 3 Tbl regular with a Tbl of Garlic Olive Oil)
    Add seasoning salt to taste (My favorite is Spike because its got less sodium and more flavor with no MSG)
    Add 2 Tbl of good brewer's yeast (Also called Nutritional Yeast)

The trick to this is doing it in the right order, otherwise the yeast wont stick to the popcorn.

Make sure to get your yeast from a store like Whole Foods in the bulk section and not at super supplements in a can because the canned stuff has no flavor.

You can put it on anything that you would put butter on; Rice, Bread, ect.

Good Luck!!