bloating/water weight

Options
Hello!!! So I'm confused about bloating and water weight. I recently upped my calories to 1700 (from 1200) and this has been great; I feel stronger, more energetic, etc.

People told me to expect some "water weight" at first, and I was wondering what this means and how/when it will go away!

The other thing is, I have a lot of vegetables and dairy in my diet, as well as a large amount of water and fiber. I feel like I'm eating "clean" and what not, but I've been feeling kinda bloated.

So basically I'm wondering what exactly causes bloating and water weight, and if this will stop once my body adjusts or if I'm doing something wrong!

Replies

• mittensofdoom
    mittensofdoom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Salt causes you to retain water. Up your cal intake and you are surely upping your salt intake. The average American diet contains 6-10 grams of salt. Try to limit your sodium intake to prevent water retention. Many women also note they tend to retain water around their periods.

Bloating can be cause by a number of things. Fiber, especially a sudden increase, can cause bloating. Drinking carbonated beverages can cause bloating. Diet candies can also be a culprit.
  • redbekah
    redbekah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh! I recently upped my intake too (for maintaining) and now I've been bloating heaps too! I've even gained a kg.
    Is is really true that this could be the cause? I thought maybe it was just too much calories for me...
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Your body will adjust if you are eating well (not too much sodium as the previous poster said) and drinking at least 64 oz of water a day, more water would be even better.

Also a little trick I use to help my body shed some water weight is to add lemon juice (just lemon juice, no sugar or anything else) to a couple of my normal glasses of water. This is a big help for that time.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    If I'm at a steady number that then shoots up 3-4 lbs (water), it could take me 3-5 days to get back to that original number. Just drink plenty of fluids and exercise, if you're retaining now, it will come off soon.
  • hinzmand
    hinzmand Posts: 8
    Options
    Is your bloating in your belly or lower extemities/hands/fingers? Is it that time of month? Sodium can retain fluid but not that signficant if you dont have heart or kidney disease
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The bloating is in my belly and its not my t.o.m haha I feel like its the vegetables and dairy I eat, or my body adjusting to the upped calories! But I want it to go away :(