MFP Calories Burned Estimates

Options
SuMcP
SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
I exercise regularly on an exercise bike in my home gym - MFP estimates that I burn lots more calories than the bikes calorie counter - any ideas why? My guess is that I am still somewhat heavier than the bikes standard calculation allows for - there is no facility to enter current weight on the bike. Any ideas which is best to use, bike readout or MFP estimate?

Replies

• babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've just recently got myself HRM and it was huuuuge surprise. MFP's calories are far overestimated. I found out with HRM wearing that I was burning at least half of what MFP says. But still, it is my case, because I'm quite fit.

if you wish to be more accurate with that, get HRM.
  • SuMcP
    Options
    Thanks - I've just ordered an HRM from Amazon which will be here tomorrow. I'm on the long march back to fitness after a rubbish 5 years - I've a long way to go, but hoping to be back within a healthy weight range by the end of the Summer - thanks again for your help.
  • SuMcP
    Options
    Oh goodness - what a difference! HRM the way to go!
  • fitnhealthykaren
    Options
    HRM is definitely the way to go. I have a Polar FT7. Prime example, I did 55 minutes of elliptical yesterday - my HRM said I burned 400 calories and MFP would have had me at 777!