Can you exercise in the morning?

Options
I really can't!

I work full time and live right next to my work so I always go to the gym in the evenings. Even during holidays I tend to stick to this but since there are no good classes on a Friday night I went this morning. Not even early - a 9am class.

But still, I literally feel like death. I'd booked two classes but have come out after the first. There's no way I could do anything else, I was dizzy, sweaty and felt sick. I even took low options and I generally consider myself to be above average fitness.

I have been in the mornings before and often feel like this or, at best, lethargic and not on full form.

Does anybody else have a time of the day when their body just won't perform properly?

Replies

• Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio early. Are you definitely getting enough sleep and drinking water to hydrate when you get out of bed, before attempting exercise?
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have to do it first thing in the morning. My body can't function after work!!
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5.30am six days a week to train and am at it by 5.45. I have a cup of coffee and that is it. I think I am conditioned to it now as I have been doing this for about 15 years! I also run at lunchtime about 3 - 4 times a week.

If, by chance, on a Sunday I train in the late afternoon, I find the food in belly feels awful!

You just have to do what works for you!

Donna
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Going on an empty stomach?
    That can cause what you're describing - or at least it does in me, so I drink a protein drink beforehand.

Mind you its a STRUGGLE to go to the gym in the morning - usually avereage 5 hours of sleep per night during the week, but its also the least intrusive time because I can't study in the mornings so I may as well go to the gym, then study after classes.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I always excercise early. that is the only time I really feel motivated. I get up super early though, so I have about 4-5 cups of coffee before I excercise. Also, I MUST have some type of Carb in my stomach before I exercise, otherwise I start to feel super sick. I usually bring a protein bar with me.. just in case that feeling hits, and eat a portion of it , if needed. I cannot work out at night. Just not a Night Owl.. :)
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I always do either a walk video or Zumba first thing in the morning! Sometimes I have a lot more energy into it in the morning than others. But, I always feel better afterwards. I am not a morning person. I feel more awake and alert.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It must be just that ppl are all different because I HATE exersizing in the evenings! Its much easier fo me to wake up at 4 or 5am and exersize before work than to try and do it at the end of a long day.

The other issue I have is that if I exersize with any food in my stomach I'll be ill so its harder in the afternoon because I have to ensure I don't eat for at least 3-4hrs beforehand... Definitely can't exersize after dinner so if I must exersize in the evening then I have to skip dinner altogether!

And my final issue... If I do skip dinner and exersize in the evening, I need to allow 3-4hrs to wind down before I can sleep so if generally means a late night!

Yep - definitely a morning person here... It's the only option I have! :D
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yup! I am up at 3:15 each morning to get my cardio in. If I don't, I won't get it done. I'm too lazy after work.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Interesting how different people are isn't it!

Yes, i did drink water throughout the class (but didn't drink before I went). Had 7 hours sleep and did eat breakfast (though I only have fruit and yogurt for breakfast so maybe cope better after having had starchy carbs and protein later in the day). Stomach wasn't empty though.

Weird. maybe it's psychological. I dread doing it, feel tired and morning-ish and therefore convince my body it won't work properly?
  • jellybaby84
    Options
    wow, I am in awe of some of you morning people - 3.15am?!?! Some nights, I haven't gone to bed yet at that time.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Yea I get up at 3am and I am usualluy in the gym by around 3.20am.. It takes me 90 minutes to get to work... So if i get stuck at work, but the time a get home I am rooted and wont go to the gym
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yea I get up at 3am and I am usualluy in the gym by around 3.20am.. It takes me 90 minutes to get to work... So if i get stuck at work, but the time a get home I am rooted and wont go to the gym

Up at 3am! wow thats amazing. This is giving me the kick start to get back to my morning routine. I used to workout at 6.30am but I started to feel sorry for myself and started to sleep on. its amazing how easy it is to convince yourself that its too hard to get up. Now I'm motivated again.
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I wake up 6am 5 days/week to exercise.
    Weekends I wake up at 8am.

It's impossible for me to exercise after work....i'm simply dead by then :frown:

Do what you feel better for you.

Kisses,
    ATR
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I am at my most active during the evening. Mornings for me just won't do and if I can train better and much longer in the evenings, why change it?
  • jellybaby84
    Options

Your gym is open at 3am?!

I would actually find one like that useful - but for late night insomnia induced work outs rather than fresh faced morning enthusiasm!
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    im there at 5am and love it, if i dont go i am cranky, its like my coffee!! lol. i was working out at 10-11 pm (i have a little boy and full time job, so i try to not take his time) and couldnt get out of bed the next morning. so started in the morning and i actually love it. just go when you can. good luck to you!!!
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Your gym is open at 3am?!

I would actually find one like that useful - but for late night insomnia induced work outs rather than fresh faced morning enthusiasm!

No 24 hour gyms in your area?
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I get up at 7am every morning, doing the shred by 7:15, out the house by half 8 after having a nice shower and have breakfast when I get to work.

I find it's best to just get up and get it out of the way (I don't like exercise!) xxx
  • dawnhite7778
    Options
    Usually for me after I get my 5 boys off to school. :). I would say no later than 9 am.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm up every morning at 4:00 am on the weekdays and usually by 6:00 am on the weekends. I've been doing a lighter workout in the evenings as well but I definitely prefer my morning workout! Not only does it get me going and set the course for the day but the calories burned help me plan my day better! Traffic can be a pain in the butt for me at night and I never know when I'm going to get stuck late in the office so getting the workout done in the mornings doesn't leave me any excuses NOT to do it!