Hi everyone

Im 25 year old

Since about 17 i have done little exercise,
Most weekends get a kebab or some other fast food,
Never eat breakfast , as I don't feel hungry,
Skip Lunch most days,
Eat a big meal in the afternoon,
And drink larger regularly.

Now iv finally taken a good look in the mirror and have a nice plump beer belly and man boobs!
TIME TO CHANGE.

I started using MFP a week ago and just want to make sure I understand what to do!

My stats currently are:

Height = 5ft 5
Weight = 151.4 (this was 153 a week ago, but used different scales)

Target weight is set to 140
Target calories / 1,510 calories/day

Now my issue is, because I never really ate properly, I have found my self now eating more than I used to, I now try to eat something for breakfast, normally a cereal bar, then get a sandwich for dinner, then a healthy tea, This normally brings me up to about 1000 calories. MFP warns me this is not enough, so I normal finish the day off with a bowl of cereal bringing me up to around 1400. I do my best to ensure the fat content is low, Eating only wholemeal breads etc.

I know I also need to do some exercise but other than that am I on the right track? just seems odd eating more to loose weight?
Any help is appreciated and would just like to say I feel inspired by many of you on the forum! :)

TIA

Danny

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I think everything looks fine calorie wise.
  • nyawton
    nyawton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cheers, anyone else care to comment? Please could do with straight advice?
  • traceyjolli
    Options
    Stick to at least your minimum calories, no lower, and if you exercise, add them to your log, this will bring your target up higher, I normally try to eat back half my exercise calories on top of my daily target.

I try to eat every two hours, just a small snack, say an apple or yoghurt, or if I fancy something sweet I have a stock of weight watchers biscuits etc.

feel free to add me x
  • katiej122
    katiej122 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Different things work for everyone but my first thought would be that if you're getting to the evenings and you havent eaten enough, maybe try having a bigger breakfast to prevent that from happening, a big healthy breakfast with some more protein as opposed to a bar to fill you up more. It might seem strange eating more to lose weight, but its surprising how many calories you can eat, as long as you're eating the right kinds of food. Higher protein and lower carbs has been working for me in terms of making me feel lighter and less bloated. Eating enough of the right things can help you from feeling deprived later on and binging on junk, I started out on super low calories and learnt that the hard way..
    You do sound like you're on the right track though, very smart choices, add exercise and it should start coming off in no time :)add me if you'd like some support!
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I know right, the eating more to lose weight felt really weird to me too! But I've been doing MFP for a week now, exercising daily and eating my exercise calories (which brings me to a total of 1700 calories a day (1300-1400net) And I've lost 3lbs in a week!
    So yes, it does seem weird but it works! :) To me it looks like you're on the right track. Just a question (I can't see your diary) but do you log your drinks as well? Because I find there are a LOT of hidden calories in that category. Other than that I think you should do fine :) Feel free to add me as a friend if you want! :)
  • nyawton
    nyawton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thanks for the advice :) its really appreciated, Good to know all in all I seem to be heading down the right route.

I do add my drinks too, Doing my best too although I know this is one area I need to look at, Im not drinking anywhere near enough.

I will open up my Diary this afternoon at some point and add you guys :)

thanks again
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have learned in these last two months that it is not only consuming the right number of calories but the right kind of food. I eat 1500 calories a day of salads, beans and fruits. I learned that strawberries and avocados are great for breaking down fat. I eat a bowl of salad with an avocado a tbs of olive oil and balsamic vinegar topped with a handful of peanuts. That is followed by a bowl of strawberries. This dinner cleans out my stomach the next day. The healthy fats in avocado and nuts are what your body needs. Eating sandwiches and health bars is ok once in a while but try to keep away from processed and eat a lot of green. Stir fries and soups are great. I stopped eating red meat and don't use animal fat like butter anymore. I only eat olive oil. It is all about what you put in your mouth. Think while you eat, is this bread good for me or should I wrap my chicken in lettuce instead?? I eat pita bread for breakfast, that is to start my day. I would not end my day with it. Fresh oranges are great or make your own fruit salad with orange, strawberries and apples. I add a banana when i eat mine in the evening. I have fruit salad always available in the fridge. Sometimes I blend it with a little milk and make a mixed fruit smoothie. Sometimes I add yoghurt to it and eat it after my salad. Think fresh when you eat and keep away from packaged processed foods. I lost 20 lbs in 2 months, without exercising , following this life style.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    add some fruit and veg and you should be on the right track!