Should I eat before I go to the gym?

Options
I often go to the gym early in the morning, so I'll have breakfast when I come back, and I feel fine. But if I leave it later and I'm hungry, I'm not sure what to do - I have a vague recollection that you're not meant to eat directly before you exercise, but how soon is 'directly' before?

So:

- If I go early in the morning, should I eat before?
- If so, how long should I leave it between eating and exercising?
- Or in general is it better to just eat afterwards?

Replies

• CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There're multiple people that say exercising on an empty stomach promotes fat loss..I don't believe that's the case but eh, I'm no scientist. Then again, neither are they.

It's personal preference.
    If you feel drained and need the energy from food before a workout, then eat. If it makes you feel sick while you're working out, wait until afterwards.
    How long between eating and exercising? Long enough that you won't throw up the food while you're exercising.

Edit: If I'm doing weights first in the morning I'll have a piece of fruit then afterwards smash down a big brekkie. If I'm doing cardio I'll just get straight into it with no food, then eat when I get back.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot eat too soon before exercising (any time of the day) but I suggest you have SOMETHING before exercising.

If early morning I will usually have a banana and then eat a proper breakfast as soon as I get home.
    If a little later in morning ie. 10am I will have eggs on toast at about 8.30 but nothing after 9.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake about 20 minutes before i workout.

I wouldn't have breakfast because it's too much in your stomach to workout on.

Go with a protein shake - I'm a Vegan so have Hemp protein but there are loads of different types and different flavour protein powders out there :-)
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I also work out in the morning. What works for me is to just have a banana when I first get up, my workout is about 45 minutes to an hour later. I then have my full breakfast after I finish the workout. The banana takes the edge off as I am usually hungry when I get up. I don't like to workout on a full stomach.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I usually eat an hour and a half before but I work out in the evenings. I find you can put more in if you have a good energy base :) If I am running in the morning cause I have no time after work I will drink some orange juice or a smoothie the moment I wake up and set off twenty minutes later.
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I find that if I don't have a little something before my workout I get the shakes really bad and then my workout is shortened. So I try to have something small and eat again after.
  • Iansmommy123011
    Iansmommy123011 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat something before a work out, eat something very light. Not heavy. Like toast, or instant oatmeal. Eat something very small. Don't eat a meal before you go to the gym, because you will feel very full and when you work out on a full stomach you will get cramps and won't want to work out.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I think it's personaly preference

I need to eat before or I tend to faint - not the best look!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You will get people on both sides of the fence here... but I for one never go to the gym in the morning on an empty stomach. For one I am a type 2 diabetic and my BS in the morning are in the low 80/ upper 70's so going to the gym and working out for 90 minutes that away would definitely induce a Blackout episode lol. But I prefer to eat (breakfast is the largest meal of my day, normally avg. around 800-900 calories) before working out. I don't believe in the science of empty stomach promotes better fat loss either.. Been losing a good amount of weight eating a nice big breakfast before my morning workout so it works for me... Good Luck to you......
  • cookiesandjuice
    Options
    if you want to eat something its okay, i would recommend something that would give you energy... such as fresh fruit...these are filled with "good" sugars that'll help you threw your work out... but mainly avoid bad heavy foods like bagals, breakfast muffins etc. oh and what ever you do choose, DONT EAT TO GET FULL. obviously no beuno for a workout.
    hope this helps :)
  • Radcliffe83
    Options
    I exercise most mornings before work. if I am hungry i eat something light or perhaps have a protein shake. If I am not hungry i don't eat. Nearly wlays have a protein skake and multi vitamin after a workout.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I could never eat before a workout... It literally makes me sick! I either exersize first thing in the morning on an empty stomach or I need to not eat 3-4 hrs before my workout :smile:
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Same as you on the weekend, go on an empty stomach if i go early enough, if not, I have some coffee and a small container of greek yogurt, that holds me over till I get home
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I eat a good sized breakfast about 2 hours before I work out.
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have a Protein shake before going to gym.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    bump