Potatos

I've heard so much about not eating lots of potatoes because they are a starchy carb - I have potatoes at least 4 times a week - should I not be doing?

Replies

• Ooops ignore the spelling on the topic - POTATOES!!!
  • RCM888
    RCM888 Posts: 10
    I think it depends on quantity and type! I know the new baby potatoes are lower GI than any other type of spud and if I have some when I'm really hungry I try to stick to around the 200-220g mark. Carbs and starches are NOT the enemy, especially if you're doing exercise, but it's all about moderation. If you feel yourself that four times a week is excessive then cut down and replace with cauliflower mash or stuffed mushrooms which are a lovely alternative.
  • claireyf12
    claireyf12 Posts: 106
    Hiya

I cant advise you on the 'science' behind it but i eat potatoes 3-4 times a week and it isnt doing me any harm so far, i personally think eat what you fancy/like and if its working for you then stick to it. If you find you arent losing then maybe look at cutting them out at then end of the day they are a vegetable so cant be that bad for you surely.......:wink:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Potatoes are really good for you and you should get them in your diet. There is some sense in the whole glycemic index scale, but it only forms part of the picture.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    moderation, moderation, moderation. I think sometimes with potatoes it isn't them, it is the butter/cheese/sour cream/ etc we add. I cut way back on the extras and have been doing well with my weight loss and still get to enjoy the spuds i love
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Well as a diabetic, they aren't good for me, they're high in the glycemic index, I have to boil them and then I can eat them, I used to eat potatoes about 4 to 5 days a week. Boiling them lowers their glycemic number so it works for me.. but eat em if you can..
  • :Yeah I tend to stick with the baby new ones and only have 100g - 200g per serving and I don't add butter or anything else to them these days, stopped that a while ago now!! Thank you so much for your input, it's nice to know it's not just me that is potato mad :laugh:

I think it stems from growing up where rice, potatoes and pasta were a staple of my diet and 'filled out' your meals!!
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    They are lower GI than wholemeal bread and parsnips when boiled I eat potato every day in some form about 200g I find they fill me up well and much better than rice , bread and other carbs. I boil mine then add a small bit of 1 cal oil spray on them to make "chips"

I dont add butter or anything else to my tatties
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,585 Member
    Unless there is a medical reason for you to not eat them then eat away I say. Make sure they are weighed and logged as with any other food and enjoy!

I love carbs and haven't cut anything out of my diet over the last year or so, deprivation wouldn't suit me, lol! :flowerforyou:

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    If you enjoy potatoes and can work them into your menu - that's great
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,585 Member
    I've just noticed that you're a Northern lass, how could you turn your back on potatoes? *gasps*
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    I don't think you should cut anything out completely. It is all about moderation! :)
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    They are high in vitamin C, low calorie, and filling!! I eat them too, baked with chili

I think the No Potato thing is just trendy right now with the low carb thing, but no real good reason not to eat them.

To each their own!
  • MrsTattie
    MrsTattie Posts: 79 Member
    I'm married to a potato farmer so my opinion is biased towards eating potatoes! No food is perfect, much depends on how you cook it and what you eat with it! But the humble potato gets some bad press. There are so many varieties to try! Red , pink, blue. And a never ending way to cook them! Everything in moderation. Here is a link for nutritional information. http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/the-potato/potato-nutrition/
    Eat tatties, go easy on the cheese on top!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Hi
    I eat potatoes - microwaved with black pepper (no salt/butter/etc) - one of my mainstays. Potatoes are are lot better than bread (in my opinion) - put in 100g of potato and 100g of bread into your diary and compare them. BIG difference! :smile:
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    I've just noticed that you're a Northern lass, how could you turn your back on potatoes? *gasps*
    Dear lord say it isn't true! :O
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    I eat 1/2 of a lg potato at least 3x a week. I switch up my carbs, Although I only season them with a little salt and pepper. They're delish and filling. And it hasn't hurt my numbers. I'm with the spud eaters:)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    I went through a phases of living on baked potatoes for dinner(and I am talking 400 gramme potatoes), with various healthy fillings for weeks and I actually lost weight. And this was without exercise, so no, I don't think there is a problem with your eating potatoes. They are a great addition to stews, are a quick and simple meal when baked, and have potassium as well. I asked the same sort of question as you a few days ago, actually, as noticed so many low carb sites saying to avoid potatoes etc. They are so natural, from the earth and to me, it seems natural to include them as a part of meals. Just avoid adding butter and oils if you are trying to lose weight.

You could also try baked sweet potato as an alternative sometimes, I tried that last night with cottage cheese and it was really nice.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    I switched to sweet potatoes and have those only a couple of times a week.

For me, white potatoes are like white pasta - I indulge occasionally at a restaurant but I don't buy/prepare them at home much anymore.
  • Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    I LOVE potatoes. I could eat them everyday. I try to stay away from them, because I LOVE butter too, and saturate my potatoes in it. MMmmmmmm. I bought sour cream, so maybe that will reign in the butter I use.