Can someone look at my diary right now?

Options
2»

Replies

• the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Also, a PP mentioned weight training. I want to start, but it's intimidating. Lol. As in I have no clue what to do, how long, what weight, or how many reps. Also, how often do I work each muscle group? Any help in this area would be great too.

I can relate to this. My advice is to try a lifting class like Body Pump or another group lifting class. The instructor will demonstrate the moves and this helps a lot, if a personal trainer is not an option. I am so much more successful with my weight loss when I lift. You can do it!
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm frustrated and scared of my weight loss stalling. My goal is 1740 calories per day. I normally eat around 1500 or so but then go to the gym and burn off 500+. I'm still very overweight so I burn huge amounts at the gym. I am using a heart rate monitor so I know it's pretty accurate. My food intake today was decent as far as calories go however, I have tons of calories left but I'm not hungry. My net calories for today is 1168. I try to eat back my exercise calories but I'm not hungry. Sure I can eat a bunch of empty calorie snacks to get me to my calorie goal, but that seems counterproductive. Any advice?

Consuming "empty calories snacks" is not counterproductive. I have no idea why you would think that. Please avoid the shenanigans posted by some members that "processed" and "high sodium" foods are bad for you somehow. Almost 99.9% of the people on here have no clue about sodium.

First, it doesn't not make you retain a ton of water. If sodium is relatively stable throughout your diet, you will not retain more water. Water retention only happens when someone goes from very low sodium to very high.

Second, sodium will not necessarily raise your blood pressure. There are some people who are sensitive and there's an easy way to test for it. Manipulate sodium intake and check blood pressure. Sometimes I consume over 7-8g and my BP is 108/65 or something around that.

Also, despite the common advice given in this thread, processed foods won't inhibit fat loss. Furthermore, consuming "healthier" foods will not make you lose more fat. It would be wise to try and eat more micronutrients, though.

There's one awesome rule that reigns supreme: KISS - Keep it simple, stupid. Don't overcomplicate things. Just hit your calories, your macronutrients, and eat some vegetables. Please don't get overly concerned with nonsense such as "healthy fats" and "complex carbs."
    Honestly, I would cut out the Lean Cuisines. Tons of salt and virtually nothing good for you.

Who cares if there's tons of salt? Read above on sodium.

1. Go into your settingss and add a few things to track. Track your sugar grams, sodium and your fiber. Sugar will completely mess up your weight loss. Try to stay in range of the recommended range for sugar. Just looking at your choices I can guess you are WAY over on sugar.

2. Reduce your simple carbohydrate intake. Add the calories in healthy protein and complex carbs like fruits and veggies.

(1) Sugar won't mess up your weight loss. That's just false.
    (2) Simple carbs, complex carbs, or whatever, it makes no difference, I promise you this.

Also, please see my post about sodium.
    'm not an expert at this at all, but that sodium is a killer....it's hard for me to stay away from it also....

Sodium is not a killer.
    You also should be eating 6 small meals a day

No, she shouldn't. I fast and eat 3 meals a day and I'm extremely successful. Many people don't eat frequently and they're fine. Meal frequency is extremely overrated.
    would also suggest adding 1 or 2 more snacks in your day... I think someone else suggested doing 6 'mini' meals as well... which is good bcs you should be eating every 2-3hrs anyway to keep your body at a constant level.

That's simply not true.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    OP if you try the six mini meals and find it works for you, then keep doing it. A calorie is a calorie no matter what time you eat it, or in what combination, but if the six meals is easier than do that. I use that method.
    there is everything wrong with eating processed foods with trans fat and preservatives. slows down the metabolism and you dont burn fat , you store it. high in sodium ...water retention the list goes on and on. you may have lost weight temporarily , but i am sure your insides look like crap , im sure a blood test will prove that . high cholesteral , diabetes, sluggish thyroid, high blood pressure . keep eating the preservatives and the FDA owns you . If not on their junk food , then definitely on the meds to keep ur health in check . goodnight!

Really? Explain how the FDA owns me, an Australian who lives on the other side of the world?

I eat Jenny Craig food. I've lost 33kg. ALL my tests have improved. Every single one of them. When I started this I was pre-diabetic, I had high cholesterol, my blood pressure (never an issue before) was starting to rise. I would walk to work, a whole 20 minutes and be puffed. Three months ago I had my blood tests redone. EVERY blood test improved. Every single one. I'm no longer pre-diabetic. I can run for five minutes on the treadmill (I do C25K so I could probably run longer) That's even ignoring the health benefits from losing 24% of my body weight.

So please, PLEASE tell me how any of your post makes sense? If you want to be a conspiracy nut and not eat stuff because 'the man' is out to control you, knock yourself out. But giving that advice to others, when it is flat out wrong? That is dangerous and you are setting up others to fail.

OP you're doing great.
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You also appear to be eating a larger portion of you calories toward the end of the day when your body is heading into the more restful part of the day (for most people anyway). Wouldn't it make more sense to put that larger intake toward the beginning of your day to give your body more fuel to run on and burn throughout the day?
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You appear to be eating a lot in carbs and not enough in protein.

I would cut out some of the carbs that you eat, like sugary cereals, english muffins ect. and replace them with protein.

I would even start taking a whey protein isolate as a supplement in the AM to give yourself an extra 30 grams of protein at the start of the day.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Less process food, I know it is easy and convient but a few hours on a day off and you can have things prepared for the week to go to!
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Interesting!

Thanks for sharing...
  • AeolianHarp
    Options
    Oh, I missed the obvious thing: eat more fat.

I believe under 0.25g/lb bodyweight has negative effects on hormone levels and can result in ineffective fat loss. Some other people say that 0.35g/lb bodyweight is the absolute minimum but it's up to you really. 29g of fat ain't cutting it.
    You also appear to be eating a larger portion of you calories toward the end of the day when your body is heading into the more restful part of the day (for most people anyway). Wouldn't it make more sense to put that larger intake toward the beginning of your day to give your body more fuel to run on and burn throughout the day?

It makes no difference.
  • amie0724
    amie0724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    She is a smart girl . I am just educating her on the facts just like I would to do for my own daughter . That is excellent for you that you lost weight . I am not going to sit here and argue with you , because I could get mean . It is not worth it . Good luck to you
    on your Jenny Craig diet and your running
  • AeolianHarp
    Options
    She is a smart girl . I am just educating her on the facts just like I would to do for my own daughter . That is excellent for you that you lost weight . I am not going to sit here and argue with you , because I could get mean . It is not worth it . Good luck to you
    on your Jenny Craig diet and your running

You could get mean but that wouldn't make you anymore right. Your advice is blatantly wrong and I'm sorry that I'm the one who has to tell you that.

You suggest that eating all that processed food will make you look crap on the inside, yet I have picture perfect blood work and health markers and I eat plenty of processed, preservative-ridden, high sodium foods. What improved all my health markers was losing fat, not changing my diet. I haven't changed it at all from what it was before. I just eat less and move more.

I'm not surprised you believe in your notions since the mass media feeds us such awful information but, upon digging deeper, you'll learn that what you are saying simply isn't true.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm frustrated and scared of my weight loss stalling. My goal is 1740 calories per day. I normally eat around 1500 or so but then go to the gym and burn off 500+. I'm still very overweight so I burn huge amounts at the gym. I am using a heart rate monitor so I know it's pretty accurate. My food intake today was decent as far as calories go however, I have tons of calories left but I'm not hungry. My net calories for today is 1168. I try to eat back my exercise calories but I'm not hungry. Sure I can eat a bunch of empty calorie snacks to get me to my calorie goal, but that seems counterproductive. Any advice?

Consuming "empty calories snacks" is not counterproductive. I have no idea why you would think that. Please avoid the shenanigans posted by some members that "processed" and "high sodium" foods are bad for you somehow. Almost 99.9% of the people on here have no clue about sodium.

First, it doesn't not make you retain a ton of water. If sodium is relatively stable throughout your diet, you will not retain more water. Water retention only happens when someone goes from very low sodium to very high.

Second, sodium will not necessarily raise your blood pressure. There are some people who are sensitive and there's an easy way to test for it. Manipulate sodium intake and check blood pressure. Sometimes I consume over 7-8g and my BP is 108/65 or something around that.

Also, despite the common advice given in this thread, processed foods won't inhibit fat loss. Furthermore, consuming "healthier" foods will not make you lose more fat. It would be wise to try and eat more micronutrients, though.

There's one awesome rule that reigns supreme: KISS - Keep it simple, stupid. Don't overcomplicate things. Just hit your calories, your macronutrients, and eat some vegetables. Please don't get overly concerned with nonsense such as "healthy fats" and "complex carbs."
    Honestly, I would cut out the Lean Cuisines. Tons of salt and virtually nothing good for you.

Who cares if there's tons of salt? Read above on sodium.

1. Go into your settingss and add a few things to track. Track your sugar grams, sodium and your fiber. Sugar will completely mess up your weight loss. Try to stay in range of the recommended range for sugar. Just looking at your choices I can guess you are WAY over on sugar.

2. Reduce your simple carbohydrate intake. Add the calories in healthy protein and complex carbs like fruits and veggies.

(1) Sugar won't mess up your weight loss. That's just false.
    (2) Simple carbs, complex carbs, or whatever, it makes no difference, I promise you this.

Also, please see my post about sodium.
    'm not an expert at this at all, but that sodium is a killer....it's hard for me to stay away from it also....

Sodium is not a killer.
    You also should be eating 6 small meals a day

No, she shouldn't. I fast and eat 3 meals a day and I'm extremely successful. Many people don't eat frequently and they're fine. Meal frequency is extremely overrated.
    would also suggest adding 1 or 2 more snacks in your day... I think someone else suggested doing 6 'mini' meals as well... which is good bcs you should be eating every 2-3hrs anyway to keep your body at a constant level.

That's simply not true.

All of this is correct.
  • bnelly55
    bnelly55 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a lot of great advice from this thread. Thank you guys. My gym offers a free personal training session so I may take advantage of that and at least get a good weight routine set up.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary, I think I would change these few things:
    1) Lower your carb intake. Frosted mini wheats-not so good. lean cuisine-not so good. Maybe try Kashi Go Lean cereal.
    2) Maybe, just to change it up a little, instead of eating 3 big meals, eat 6 smaller meals. Spread your calories out.
    3) More fruits and veggies.
    4) And don't be afraid to eat your excercise calories, you earned them! :)

I hope this helps! :) And don't get discouraged, you are doing a great job. Plataeus are gonna happen, it is just the way it is.

This!