Sausage Gravy and Biscuits

Options
GroupXZ
GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
I have to have a healthy recipe! I am from the south and I feel as if I am going through withdraws. Well, I really miss deep fried fish... YUM! I gave it up because I cannot look at greasy food the same anymore.

Replies

• chrissytrivette
    Options
    Use whole wheat biscuits and turkey sausage. You can make the biscuits from scratch or Pillsbury makes a wheat biscuit in a can! You can't tell a difference at all! I make biscuits and gravy almost every weekend.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RE00034

This is a recipe I have used for a biscuit topping on a Chicken Pot Pie.

My other recommendation is to use whole wheat PASTRY flour... it will make the biscuits lighter.

Using Fat Free Evaporated milk in the gravy will make it super creamy.
  • grumpytroll
    grumpytroll Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What are biscuits? In Scotland biscuits are something I dunk in my cup of tea lol. Can you describe them?
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sort of like a savory scone, but fluffier.
  • grumpytroll
    grumpytroll Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ahh I think this is the equivalent of our " dough balls" that we have with our mince n tattles . I love threads like this lol x
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have to have a healthy recipe! I am from the south and I feel as if I am going through withdraws. Well, I really miss deep fried fish... YUM! I gave it up because I cannot look at greasy food the same anymore.
    I'm from Louisiana. How about you? I do miss some of my Cajun cooking but my thought on that is this. I'll have it again one day, just not today.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Google "biscuit scone difference" and you'll get lots of discussion as to whether American biscuits are essentially different from British scones.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biscuit

The wiki answer to the US/UK biscuit difference.

Biscuits in the US= Savoury scone in UK.

US Term for UK biscuit= cracker/cookie
  • lbigham1
    lbigham1 Posts: 132
    Options
    I'm from Louisiana. How about you? I do miss some of my Cajun cooking but my thought on that is this. I'll have it again one day, just not today.

Excellent way to look at it!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Bisquit... quick bread. No yeast.
  • Charismasme2
    Charismasme2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I've been to Ireland, and the difference in what we call things to what you do is significant. A biscuit here is a flour, butter or shortening, baked bread, your biscuit to us is called a cookie...LOL
  • _Iffer_
    _Iffer_ Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree with alot of people, wheat flour and fat free milk, plus go light on the sausage. you can still have fried fish, just fry it in a healthy oil like, olive oil and remember portion control! With portion control you don't have to deny yourself anything!
  • Rick_SH
    Rick_SH Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Carolina living in Ohio now. I miss biscuits and gravy too but I mainly gave it up due to the unhealthiness factor. Thanks for the suggestions on using whole wheat biscuits, turkey sausage and low fat evaporated milk. I'm gonna try that this weekend. Thanks ya'll. :-)
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you!
  • Karren188
    Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    grumpytroll -- I think this is what she's talking about ... I'm from the south, and this is the flour I've always used to make "from scratch" biscuits. I'm giving them up (at least for now) until I get a handle on my weight loss.

http://www.marthawhite.com/cooks_corner/southern_biscuits.aspx