Heart Rate Monitor Calories Counter

Options
looking to buy one but have never owned one and need help to what kind to buy ,any sugestions?

Replies

• Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    A very popular question, I personally use a Polar FT7. If you want something that tracks your runs then this is not the right one for you. Main suggestion I would make Chest Strap.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4, which has a chest strap and it is AMAZING. I love it!!!
  • lilmisskrys24
    Options
    I have the same question!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    looking to buy one but have never owned one and need help to what kind to buy ,any sugestions?

Before useful suggestions can be given, need to know how you want to use, what purpose?
  • kristi_asco
    kristi_asco Posts: 183
    Options
    bumpp
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    polar ft60... works for me..
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the other question: I've got Garmin Forerunner 110 with a chest strap and wander is it going to be useful for my work out in the gym? For running is just perfect...
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love Bowflex! Bowflex HRMs are the only Heart Rate Monitors I go with!
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options

Before useful suggestions can be given, need to know how you want to use, what purpose?
    I don't work out in a gym as there isnt one here where I live,I mostly hike/walk do ab exercises at home,I dont jog or run,I mainly want to track calories burned during my hikes/walking,and any exercises I do at home..
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I got my pulse sonic with a chest strap for less than $30 on amazon. It works great!
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4, which has a chest strap and it is AMAZING. I love it!!!

this. i have one and found the calories to be fairly close to various online calculators.
  • heybales
    Options
    I don't work out in a gym as there isnt one here where I live,I mostly hike/walk do ab exercises at home,I dont jog or run,I mainly want to track calories burned during my hikes/walking,and any exercises I do at home..

The cheapest Polar for most accurate chance of calorie estimate.

If you can find one that someone is getting rid of, because they are upgrading to a more full-featured one, go for it.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I use the polar FT4 as well and I really like it... But if you are recording distance/ speed you may want something else, I have to use the imapmyrun app on my iphone to record runs which is fine since i'm using it for music anyway.
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use my Garmin Forerunner when I hike/walk outside, it has a GPS built-in so I'll get the route mapped out.

After a workout it transfers all data to my computer automatically and I see everything in Garmin Connect (the online application). I also use the watch during classes in the gym to monitor my heart rate and get the calories spent.

It has a touch screen and is very easy to use. It's an expensive watch, but I love love love it!
  • motivatedmommie
    motivatedmommie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    would this polar FT4 heart monitor work w/ insanity ?
  • TeamXForce
    Options
    As far as heart rate monitors go Polar is the best, it's the only HRM that gave an accurate reading and lasted more than a month.
  • TeamXForce
    Options
    Yes it would be perfect for Insanity.
  • cassavaca
    cassavaca Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of research and ended up getting the Polar FT7. i wouldve done the FT4, but on amazon, the FT7 was cheap enough for me to get, so i decided on that. The chest strap is comfortable and it is easy to use.
  • heybales
    Options
    I use my Garmin Forerunner when I hike/walk outside, it has a GPS built-in so I'll get the route mapped out.

After a workout it transfers all data to my computer automatically and I see everything in Garmin Connect (the online application). I also use the watch during classes in the gym to monitor my heart rate and get the calories spent.

It has a touch screen and is very easy to use. It's an expensive watch, but I love love love it!

Is it the Forerunner that does or does not use HR in calorie calculations?

Test - start a workout and go for a drive. Upload data and see what calorie estimate was?
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Is it the Forerunner that does or does not use HR in calorie calculations?

Test - start a workout and go for a drive. Upload data and see what calorie estimate was?

I have the same, Garmin Forerunner 110 and it does. I've tested it in everyday lifre and found out that I burn only 70 cal per hour during working (sitting at the computer).