Bicycling from and to work

Options
Hi,

Every day I go on my bicycle to and from work. About 40 minutes for each ride, depending on the wind. Does that count as an exercise?

Replies

• Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Depends if you included it in your "lifestyle" when you set up your profile and goals in MFP

For example, I work in an office in I.T. so am sitting at a computer most of the day, in the evenings I do other activities which aren't sports orientated. So I picked "sedentary lifestyle", and it gives you your daily calories based on that.

Any exercise I then do is a 'bonus' if you like, and gets added in to your diary and then you are supposed to eat those calories back so you still net the same amount of calories. So I cycle into work a couple of times a week (not in winter though!), about 35 mins each way, burns around 650 cals (keeps going down as my weight goes down!) so I need to eat all or most of those back to keep losing weight at a steady pace and keep metabolism moving

Does that help?

Cheers,
    Fran
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    Lifestyle I think of as "How active you are at work" (or during normal daily activities, if you don't work). So, if you spend 8 hours a day at a desk job, I'd use sedentary lifestyle (that's what I do). If you work in a warehouse lugging 50 pound boxes around all day, then you'd have an active lifestyle. If you're a stay at home mom and spend all day chasing the kids, you'd probably be an average lifestyle.

Anything that gets your heart rate into the fat burning zone for a significant period of time, I'd count as exercise. Biking 40 minutes definitely counts. Doing that twice a day will burn somewhere on the order of 700+ calories depending on your fitness and speed. So, yeah, that's definitely exercise :)
  • Nilsz
    Nilsz Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes that was helpful. As I'm an IT guy, I too chose "sedentary lifestyle", but now the weather is so lovely I decided to cycle to work instead of going by tram. But as it's no real exercise in a gym, I had my doubts about recording it as an exercise.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Actually cycling is one of the highest burn cardio exercises, my heart rate is higher for longer giving my leg muscles enough fuel to get up the hills!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Every day I go on my bicycle to and from work. About 40 minutes for each ride, depending on the wind. Does that count as an exercise?

Precisely what I intend to start doing and yes, I will be including it in my exercise as I have my lifestyle down as "sedentary".
  • Nilsz
    Nilsz Posts: 5
    Options
    We have no hills over here :-) Only wind.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I ride mainly flat stretches of road 5 miles each way , I use a hrm and it is usually a 400 calorie burn each way
    I weigh more than 300lb though
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Cycling is fantastic exercise and I'd definitely log 2 x 40 min bike rides each day. I'm just waiting for the good weather to come back so I can get my bike off the trainer......
  • bumblebee1738
    Options
    I am thinking about cycling from and to work but I don't have a bike. Can you guys recommend a bike for me? I am 5'4" and about 250lbs. I need something with a wide seat. Heeeelllllppppppp!!!
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I have been wanting to do this (no even more with the gas prices!) but I am terrified of the hills with the wind we get so I havent tried it yet.
  • obeserat
    Options
    I think if you go for a hybrid bike sort of a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike, good selection of gears, I personally
    use a 24 speed bike that gives me a number of options for riding up hill etc. I'd recommend buying a seat seperately probably a
    gel seat would be more comfortable. I usually buy mudguards for my bikes for when its raining as most bikes you buy don't have them. When you buy your bike its a good idea to take spare inner tubes in your bag in case you get a puncture , I recently had to push my bike for more than 3 miles because I didn't have a spare tube or a pump. As we get a lot of rain in England I also bought a full rain suit.
  • bumblebee1738
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I figured I would have to buy a bigger seat. This is gonna be a loooonnnnnggggg process. LOL
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    I think if you go for a hybrid bike sort of a cross between a road bike and a mountain bike, good selection of gears, I personally
    use a 24 speed bike that gives me a number of options for riding up hill etc. I'd recommend buying a seat seperately probably a
    gel seat would be more comfortable. I usually buy mudguards for my bikes for when its raining as most bikes you buy don't have them. When you buy your bike its a good idea to take spare inner tubes in your bag in case you get a puncture , I recently had to push my bike for more than 3 miles because I didn't have a spare tube or a pump. As we get a lot of rain in England I also bought a full rain suit.

I definitely agree with that. I've got a hybrid, it's nearer to a road bike as it's got rigid forks and thinner tyres to enable better speeds and is better on roads and cycle paths, but not so good if you are going to do off-road stuff as it is a very bumpy ride!! I don't like the drop handlebars, but again that's a matter of taste. Go to a local bike shop which has a good range and ask them for advice, sit on a few and see how you feel. Go for it!
  • obeserat
    Options
    Mines a hybrid but its got got front suspension makes the bumpy roads a bit more comfortable , when I'm on a good road I switch the suspension off as its less effort to pedal.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I figured I would have to buy a bigger seat. This is gonna be a loooonnnnnggggg process. LOL

Maybe not. Your sit bones are the same size regardless. A typical hybrid seat is usually fine for people of most any size.

If you do get a hybrid, get one WITHOUT front suspension. It wastes pedal energy and adds weight/complication/cost to a bike and provides virtually no benefit at low price point.

Spend $300-500. Avoid department store bikes.

Look at brands like Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, etc... bike store bikes.
  • CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How far is your cycle into work? I cycle to and from work most days and I always log that as exercise. My journey is 5 miles in 5 miles back. I wear a HRM and time myself everytime i do it and try to cycle faster. The fastest I have done it so far is 19.51 but im usually around the 22min mark. Cycling home is more like 25mins (much slower).
  • ROCKERFOREVER81
    Options
    I think that is AWESOME!
  • marlad33
    marlad33 Posts: 37
    Options
    I just bought a Trek 7.2x and I'm loving it. Every weekend since I've bought it I am out on it and I was truly amazed the distance I could go and now I just want to do more :happy:
  • obeserat
    Options
    I got my bike with front suspension because there are potholes , bumps etc on sides of road and a fixed suspension was a bit too uncomfortable I also ride on tarred trails , it is a hybrid after all , if I'm on a good road I turn off the suspension (its just a lever on the fork) , I think its good to have and seeing that you can turn it off if you need to why not ? Even riding on a road that has occasional bumps and lumps I still reach speeds of 19 miles per hour if I choose the correct gear setting without too much pedalling.