Fitbit Gadget

Options
Hi,

Any of you guys use the fitbit in conjunction with myfitnesspal? If so, is it worth the investment?

Thanks,

Brendan

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i have one and i love it ! as i have a desk job it encourages me to move more :)
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey Brendan,
    I'm glad you asked this. I saw them for the first time yesterday and was wondering the same thing.
    I was also wondering if you have to wear them all day? I can't have it at work so if missing 8-9 hours of data makes it useless I would have to pass on it.
    Thanks!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hey Brendan,
    I'm glad you asked this. I saw them for the first time yesterday and was wondering the same thing.
    I was also wondering if you have to wear them all day? I can't have it at work so if missing 8-9 hours of data makes it useless I would have to pass on it.
    Thanks!

nobody can tel your wearing it its tiny i have mine in my bra :blushing:
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I got mine 2 days ago and I LOVE it. It has given me a much more accurate idea of what I spend each day and confirmed that yes indeed I am lightly active most of the day, I was wondering if I was sedentary. Mostly it has encouraged me to move because I want to get the badges/steps etc.

You do need to wear it all day, but it attaches to your bra or underwear. Mine has been on my bra strap and I don't even notice it. I guess if you are not allowed electronic devices at work there wouldn't be much point in it as it does need to be on to be effective. I had two friends on here who had one before me and both encouraged me to get it and it was a good investment - probably more so than my Polar HRM, which I will continue to use when I work out hard, but for walking etc is a bit over the top.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I've lost my Fitbit about 10 times since November when I got it. I've also forgot to put it on one day when I climbed a 700ft mountain. Pretty much it's great to have, easy to lose, easy to forget lol. But I got mine half priced on eBay so I'm pretty happy with it.
  • knowkeys
    knowkeys Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It encourages you to do a little bit more than you did the day before. It weighs 0.4 oz (10g) and can be clipped to you belt.
    It allows your steps to be recorded and flights of stairs to be counted. He even monitors how well you sleep.

I have had mine for 3 weeks now and I make sure I wear it all the time.
    Some people may say it is a glorified pedometer but it is motiviating me.

If you input your excercise in MFP, it matches it with the fitbit (you have to put in the correct start time).
    Likewise, if you forget to fill out MFP, it will make the adjustment into the excercise tab for you.

I can't advise you to spend the money, but I think it is worth every penny/cent.
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Once you purchase the Fitbit, do you have to pay a monthly fee or any additional fee for the data? I remember seeing that Bodybugg thing on the Biggest Loser a few years ago and I looked into it, but I don't want to pay any monthly fees to use it.

Thanks!
  • jeaninemckinney
    Options
    Ive been wanting to get one for a few months now! It seems so cool...and it tracks your sleep which is awesome! I would love to see how little i really am getting with getting up to be a few times a night lol andmon those wonderful days my son still gets up in the middle of the night! I think i would love it and anything that makes u wanna move more is worth it to me!!! Think that might be my special purchase!! :-) the only reason i dont is because i always wonder if i should just by a hrm instead but the fitbit just seams like it does so much more!! Good luck on your journeys! :bigsmile:
  • Cheryl943
    Cheryl943 Posts: 83
    Options
    I've had mine for a while now and love it. I wear it all the time, even when sleeping as it tracks that too. No additional monthly fee unless you add a personal trainer. It is such a help that I got my husband one as well. Linked to MFP it is a great tool. I think it is well worth the cost. It also stays charged for several days and is easy to set up and track with. Good luck. There is a message board of Fitbit users on MFP.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I love mine.
    I discovered I'm way more active than I thought, and so no wonder I wasn't gaining any weight...I got down to like 99lbs last December and that was pretty scary. I didn't do it on purpose, but I run a store, and I didn't have time to eat, and so I lost hella weight.
    Now that I know I'm very active (95th percentile for women in my demographic) I try and eat more calorie dense healthy foods in order to be able to gain 1/2 lb a week. So far my clothes got tighter across the arms and shoulders. Getting guns, yo!
    I love my fitbit.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    I have had mine a while now,
    I use it as a tool to monitor activity. I love to use it, it even helped me get more active at work.
    A program I am in requires me to walk 10,000 steps a day, it is wonderful in that I can look at my averages for 7 days and 30 days.
    It shows the times of day you are active and at rest, it even gives little reward badges on the website for reaching new goals, I thought the badges were silly until I started getting them.
  • Bigbdarlo
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! It looks like a great bit of kit and I will purchasing one very soon.