support with giving up smoking & weight loss

Options
harksy
harksy Posts: 239 Member
IS IT POSIBLE TO DO BOTH????

Hi All
I have been on this site now for 4 weeks and have lost 9lb already and feel alot better with all the excercise i have been fitting in

problem isthat I am planning to try quit smoking *(again) on Monday 2ndApril got my patches ready
the past few times i have been sucessfull for up to 7months and each time my weight has risen by almost 2 stone which only motivated me to go back on them.

is it posible to give up smoking and still lose weight?

Looking for some likeminded friends to help on this journey

A.

Replies

• lisakrogers
    lisakrogers Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    HI - My sister quit smoking and lost 45 lbs, so yes, it is possible!! Stay focused, eat healthy and exercise and you'll do great!! She feels better now than she did 20 years ago!! Good luck!! :)
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Well, I just quit smoking in January. I finally got it through my thick head that it just wasn't good for me. I had started dieting January 5th and by January 20th it occurred to me that loosing weight was so good for my health why was I still smoking which was so bad for my health. So I just put them down. I kept the pack but have not lit another since January 20th. My lungs feel better. I'm having trouble loosing weight but have an appointment with the doctor this morning to find out what is wrong. I'm having lots and lots of swelling in my ankles and that tells me something is definitely wrong. I think once I find out what is wrong, I should be able to loose the weight. I definitely think both are doable. I hate predicting the future but I don't think I'll ever go back to smoking again even though I still want one occasionally. When those time come around that I want one, I remind myself that I made a conscious and educated decision to stop. Then I busy myself with other things. It can be done. You can do it.
    Best of luck. Can you tell me about the weight equivalent of a stone? I've seen others use that term and I'm unfamiliar with it.
    Thanks. Good luck.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I quit smoking the day I decided to lose weight, and although it is hard ( I used to smoke 20 a day easily), in a way I think it is easier because you are watching what you eat so you don't gain weight. I just keep thinking - I am on my way to be healthy!
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    Here is some motivation --

20 minutes after you quit smoking, your blood pressure has already decreased, your pulse rate has dropped and the blood temperature of your hands and feet has increased.

2 hours after quitting, you have significantly reduced the nicotine in your system.

8 hours after quitting, the level of carbon monoxide in your blood drops as the oxygen increases to the normal level of a non-smoker. This is one of the best advantages of quitting smoking, as carbon monoxide robs your muscles, brain and tissues of oxygen.

At 24 hours, your chance of a heart attack has already decreased.

At 48 hours. These will make you smile... a couple of nice little health benefits of quitting smoking are that you will find your sense of smell improved, and as those sensitive nerve endings start regrowing, your taste buds will come alive again.

In 2 to 4 days, all nicotine by-products have gone from your body. That means there is no physical addictive substance left to niggle your brain.

Between 2 to 9 weeks, your circulation improves, walking and exercise will become easier and your lung function increases.

By 3 months, your fertility improves. This is an oft overlooked reason to quit smoking. Men's quality and density of sperm increases and women's chances of conceiving are increased, with less likelihood of miscarriage, or giving birth to babies with higher risks of stillbirth, cot death, premature or low birth weight and lifelong afflictions.

By now, the tar stains on your fingers and teeth will be eliminated.

Within the first 9 months, you will find that you no longer suffer from shortness of breath, and coughing, sinus congestion or fatigue will be rapidly improved.

By 1 year your risk of coronary heart disease is already half that of a smoker!

Also by now, due to increased oxygen, you will have noticeable improvement in your skin and gums. The oxygen goes towards repairing dry skin and premature wrinkles.

After 5 years the risk of lung cancer drops by half. Also your risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas rapidly decreases. And every day thereafter these lifesaving health benefits of quitting smoking increase.

In 5 to 15 years, you will have no higher risk of stroke than that of people who have never smoked!

By 10 years, your chances of coronary heart disease will be virtually the same as that of people who have never smoked. In fact your risk of an early death from all causes virtually disappears and returns to that of people who have never smoked.

Did you know that only 12% of smokers can expect to live to 85, as compared to 69% of non-smokers? Why risk losing even one year of life or being one of the statistical average of smokers and lose 10 years? Or 25 years? Why risk an average of 12 years disability before you die?

If you quit before age 35 your risk is reduced by a dramatic 90% or more, and even if you're over 65 and you quit, your quality of life and life expectancy is significantly increased.
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am stair-stepping and quitting smoking, as well as losing weight. Baby steps my friend. =) Its hard, but nothing worth doing is easy, right?
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am 3 days smoke free (after about 5 years of constant smoking). I started working out intensely, which has really helped kill my cravings. It's really tough, and takes lots of work, but just focus on quitting, and keep eating healthy, and you will do great!
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i quit smoking properly a month ago and have gained 10lbs!!! but i knew that quitting smoking without gaining would be to easy so baby steps!
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I am stair-stepping and quitting smoking, as well as losing weight. Baby steps my friend. =) Its hard, but nothing worth doing is easy, right?

Baby steps are enormous steps!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    @yuliyax - I love that list above...I am going to print it to look at if I decide to pick up a cigarette from now on....Thanks for sharing!!

I quit as of yesterday March 29th after smoking close to 2packs/day for 21yrs...I am using the patch for now but it has been a lot easier than I expected so far...I have just been staying busy with my 3yr old son. I don't think I will gain any weight b/c I am on MFP & watching what I eat & lifting weights. That is why I finally decided to quit b/c I figured this would be the best time b/c of being on here & since I am becoming a healthier person then becoming a non-smoker is the healthiest thing I can do for my body....Good luck quitting smoking...You can do it if you are ready!! Feel free to add me & we can help each other with the smoking & weight loss... :)
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours-it is an amazing journey-and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” Bob Moawad

In my opinion, support is always helpful, but when it comes down to it, you have to make changes in your life for you. I feel better now than I have in 25 years. I think I weigh less now than I did 25 years ago, too.

I quit smoking cold turkey and have never wanted another since. Losing the first 50 pounds helped me find the energy and motivation I needed to continue exercising and eating right. Mrs HarlCarl likes to dine at the buffets not to mention her love of McDonald's french fries; her metabolism is much better than mine...she still smokes, too.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Well, I just quit smoking in January. I finally got it through my thick head that it just wasn't good for me. I had started dieting January 5th and by January 20th it occurred to me that loosing weight was so good for my health why was I still smoking which was so bad for my health. So I just put them down. I kept the pack but have not lit another since January 20th. My lungs feel better. I'm having trouble loosing weight but have an appointment with the doctor this morning to find out what is wrong. I'm having lots and lots of swelling in my ankles and that tells me something is definitely wrong. I think once I find out what is wrong, I should be able to loose the weight. I definitely think both are doable. I hate predicting the future but I don't think I'll ever go back to smoking again even though I still want one occasionally. When those time come around that I want one, I remind myself that I made a conscious and educated decision to stop. Then I busy myself with other things. It can be done. You can do it.
    Best of luck. Can you tell me about the weight equivalent of a stone? I've seen others use that term and I'm unfamiliar with it.
    Thanks. Good luck.
    I did a google search 1 stone equals 14 pounds
  • nickiw68
    nickiw68 Posts: 71
    Options
    I gave up smoking two years ago, and I used to smoke around 15 - 20 a day...I am now also 2 stone lighter, btu it has taken me almost a year to lose that weight, but god, do I feel so much better for it! Good luck xxx
  • Shannonbayer
    Shannonbayer Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I had lost 12 pounds (of my 114 pound goal) and then I got the bright idea to quit smoking cold turkey... that minute.

Starting day three smokeless today. I'm avoiding making eye contact with my scale until monday, but with my improved lung function and energy levels I should be able to work off a few "quitting pounds". Good luck with both of your goals!
  • shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^ I couldnt have said it any better than what she said. I too quit smoking on Oct 24th of this past year. Previously I had quit twice before and gained weight and went right back to smoking because I didnt want to gain weight. Even my second time quitting I was told to give your body 6 months to adjust to the changes and you will see the weight come off. So I did, I waited 6 months, 7, then 8, all the way to about 11 months. Nothing was happening but the scale continuing to increase. I started smoking again. The saddest part of it all is that this time I wasnt able to loose the 15 lbs that I had gained. I tried and I tried, but in all the wrong ways. I starved myself to the point I thought I had a kidney infection, but I was burning out my kidneys by not drinking enough, starving myself and taking phentermine. I went to the doctor and found my blood pressure was 72/42. He was really really concerned. Anyways, that rocked on for awhile, till the day came that I watched my Dad walking from one room to the other and was completely out of breathe. He no longer had the lung capacity to be that active, go getter, that he once was. Even though he quit smoking 2 years ago, the effects have caused permanent damage. It broke my heart to pieces to see him struggle after being so active for much of his life. After leaving his house heading home, and running out of cigarettes, I said to myself "I am done, and for good". I vowed to change everything in my life to assure I no longer needed a crutch. I mentally made goals. Such as I was not going to gain weight after quitting. It was like a mantra, I said it over and over and over. I immediately started walking, then walking more, up to 3 miles 3x a week. After a few weeks of this, I tried jogging a bit in those walks. Ha, I couldnt make it 30 seconds, so back to walking. This irritated me and gave me more determination to do more. So each walk I jogged at bit more then a bit more and just kept on. Then I found the C25K program (couch to 5k). I began using it and now I run 3+ miles 3x a week, plus a butt load of different Jillian Michaels Workouts. I never gained weight after quitting, but I did loose those 15 lbs I had gained previously and am in better condition then I have been in quite some time. So all that to say you can do it. Just put your mind in it and set goals. They can be little goals but set some and stick to it. I have met some wonderful people on MFP that share the same journey, so why dont you join us. You can do, I know you can, its will power and dedication and friends like us on MFP. You may add me as a friend if you wish, and I will do all that I can to help you power through this. Good luck and remember there are boat load of people here to keep you on track !!!!!
  • misty2ann
    misty2ann Posts: 127
    Options
    My quit day is this Sunday. I am ready with the gum. I have done this so many times before. I am scared. But I know it is going to help me along this journey so much to quit. If i gain a few lbs. so be it. I read something a while back that keeps coming back to me....you can lose the weight you gain from quitting, but you can't lose lung cancer. I am looking forward to being able to breathe better and step up my activity level. Good luck and know we are all here with you! WE CAN DO THIS!
  • Ghewlett
    Ghewlett Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Check out the post called "Quitting Smoking while changing food/exercise habits" started by alicepoppyh

Similar theme & lots of people who've achieved just what you're starting out on.

You can do it!!
  • harksy
    Options
    Hi Peggy,
    thanks for the support and good luck on your own journey
    1stone = 14lb
    Alan
  • harksy
    Options
    I gave up smoking two years ago, and I used to smoke around 15 - 20 a day...I am now also 2 stone lighter, btu it has taken me almost a year to lose that weight, but god, do I feel so much better for it! Good luck xxx
    [/quote
    well done you,. its good to hear that it can be done
  • harksy
    Options
    The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours-it is an amazing journey-and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.” Bob Moawad

In my opinion, support is always helpful, but when it comes down to it, you have to make changes in your life for you. I feel better now than I have in 25 years. I think I weigh less now than I did 25 years ago, too.

I quit smoking cold turkey and have never wanted another since. Losing the first 50 pounds helped me find the energy and motivation I needed to continue exercising and eating right. Mrs HarlCarl likes to dine at the buffets not to mention her love of McDonald's french fries; her metabolism is much better than mine...she still smokes, too.

its motivational stories like this i need to keep me in line. thanks
  • harksy
    Options
    ^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^ I couldnt have said it any better than what she said. I too quit smoking on Oct 24th of this past year. Previously I had quit twice before and gained weight and went right back to smoking because I didnt want to gain weight. Even my second time quitting I was told to give your body 6 months to adjust to the changes and you will see the weight come off. So I did, I waited 6 months, 7, then 8, all the way to about 11 months. Nothing was happening but the scale continuing to increase. I started smoking again. The saddest part of it all is that this time I wasnt able to loose the 15 lbs that I had gained. I tried and I tried, but in all the wrong ways. I starved myself to the point I thought I had a kidney infection, but I was burning out my kidneys by not drinking enough, starving myself and taking phentermine. I went to the doctor and found my blood pressure was 72/42. He was really really concerned. Anyways, that rocked on for awhile, till the day came that I watched my Dad walking from one room to the other and was completely out of breathe. He no longer had the lung capacity to be that active, go getter, that he once was. Even though he quit smoking 2 years ago, the effects have caused permanent damage. It broke my heart to pieces to see him struggle after being so active for much of his life. After leaving his house heading home, and running out of cigarettes, I said to myself "I am done, and for good". I vowed to change everything in my life to assure I no longer needed a crutch. I mentally made goals. Such as I was not going to gain weight after quitting. It was like a mantra, I said it over and over and over. I immediately started walking, then walking more, up to 3 miles 3x a week. After a few weeks of this, I tried jogging a bit in those walks. Ha, I couldnt make it 30 seconds, so back to walking. This irritated me and gave me more determination to do more. So each walk I jogged at bit more then a bit more and just kept on. Then I found the C25K program (couch to 5k). I began using it and now I run 3+ miles 3x a week, plus a butt load of different Jillian Michaels Workouts. I never gained weight after quitting, but I did loose those 15 lbs I had gained previously and am in better condition then I have been in quite some time. So all that to say you can do it. Just put your mind in it and set goals. They can be little goals but set some and stick to it. I have met some wonderful people on MFP that share the same journey, so why dont you join us. You can do, I know you can, its will power and dedication and friends like us on MFP. You may add me as a friend if you wish, and I will do all that I can to help you power through this. Good luck and remember there are boat load of people here to keep you on track !!!!!
    Thanks Well done you