Stress Eating

Options
Does anyone suffer from stress eating??? and if so how do you deal with it and not head straight to the Frig or pantry????
I have been having a lot of issues with stress eating and dealing with it.. and it's causing me to gain weight and become very depressed about not reaching my goals. Im a stay at home mom with three very active children and we are a military family which causes a lot of stress and worries. Im trying so hard to avoid eating junk when im stressed but it seems like it's the only things that calms my stress level..
Please if anyone can give me advice of how to over come this i would really appreciate it

Thank you!

Replies

• FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've already taken the first step and acknowledged you're overeating because of stress. You need to find healthier ways to deal with stress. I'm a Canadian and I don't' know what resources are available to you, but this site looks interesting and you may be able to find what you need here: http://www.nmha.org/index.cfm?objectid=C7DF9899-1372-4D20-C89412D66A4FF88D

My personal stress busters are martial arts, walking the dog, gardening and doing crafts. I have also learned to stop worrying - either I can do something about a situation; then I can make a plan. Or I can do nothing in which case I plan how to cope.

Good luck to you! The first step is the hardest so you're already halfway there! :flowerforyou:
  • CBRITO
    CBRITO Posts: 11
    Options
    I THINK THE NEXT TIME YOU FEEL LIKE STRESS EATING, TO MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER... SIGN ON.. AND AIR OUT ALL YOUR STRESS!!

GIRL IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT... WHEN WE REALLY THINK ABOUT IT.. THAT'S WHY WE ARE ALL HERE FOR ONE ANOTHER IN TIMES OF NEED!!

STAY STRONG TAMMIE.. YOU CAN DO THIS... "THINK THIN AND YOU'LL WIN" !!
    LUV U XOXO
  • dwnjjugalette
    Options
    I know the feeling. i have an overbearring boss, which i know is nothing in comparison to having your love in the military, but it does drive my to stress eating. well... it did.

i find that if you only keep healthy foods stocked, its not a problem to go grab a bitewhen you are stressed, but before you even think about going to that pantry or fridge, drink an 8 ounce glass of water and force yourself to wait 10 minutes. You can pass this time by picking up some knitting or starting a puzzle, doing a load of laundry. beleive me, those ten minutes will zoom by. If you are still stressed and hungry, go grab a small snack. i guarentee you will feel fuller before you finish that snack and you wont have the guilt to go along with it. and if your cravings have gone away, then problem solved. Honey, whatever you do, don't starve yourself, but don't over indulge. also try to find other more productive ways to de-stress. I hate to even bring it up, but did you ever see Legally Blonde? If so, do you remember the line "excersize gives you endorphines. endorphins make you happy. happy people just don't kill their husbands" even if you never saw the movie, that line holds true. if you are stressed, go for a jog/walk. take your three beautiful kids to the park and play frisbee. It will make you feel better.

Hope this helps!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I certainly haven't overcome this yet, but I've gotten much better at not giving in. You have to tell yourself that eating more than your body needs isn't going to fix anything, and it's not going to make you feel better...in fact, you'll feel worse after you do it. Try to find something else that takes your mind off of eating when you're stressed...I watch TV or clean...or come here. :smile:
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I do remember that saying off the movie !!!! And thank you for all your support! I've been reading up so much about stress eating and im going to try some of the tips it gives also about the drinking water and waiting 10 minutes ...
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

My personal stress busters are martial arts, walking the dog, gardening and doing crafts.

So funny! Those are my stress busters too! Not martial arts exactly, but a hard core workout! I've realized punching a bag definitely takes my stress away!
  • dangerkitty2001
    Options
    I'm a terrible stress eater. It happens a lot when I'm at school, where the building is surrounded by fast food places! But I do it at home too, and I just have to talk myself down from it. I make myself take a breather. I ask myself if I'm really truly hungry, then I will have a quick bite of something healthy. That will often take care of it, and if it doesn't, I negotiate with myself from there! It is a tough battle though!! There is support and strength in numbers here :smile:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I made myself "snack packs" of stuff I could eat so all I had to do was grab one and munch. It helped get me thru while I worked on getting better coping skills. I would cut up fresh veggies and not even log them in the beginning, as long as I was putting green peppers or cucumbers or something like that in my mouth, I didn't care about the calories. Soon though I didn't need that, and now I am going thru the most stressful time I've had in years, and yep, I went for that bag of Oreos like I used to - but they not only didn't taste so great any more, they didn't satisfy emotionally like they used to. Which I took as a good sign!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    adop4 That is such a great idea!!! SNACK PACKS!!! why didn't i think of that!!!! i will start that today and see how well i do with it... Thank you so much for the idea :flowerforyou:
  • dwnjjugalette
    Options
    :laugh: I do remember that saying off the movie !!!! And thank you for all your support! I've been reading up so much about stress eating and im going to try some of the tips it gives also about the drinking water and waiting 10 minutes ...

I am so glad to hear this. you can do it, and the tip about making emergency snack packs, excellent idea (thanks adopt4) they really are a life saver. Even when you are eating healthy foods, it is still easy to over eat due to stress so portioning them out when you are calm and relaxed is a great idea.

As for the movie, she had some really insightful things to say, even if she had to say it with the "disty valley girl twang". (my apologies to any valley girls out there, I do not mean to offend, its just funny)
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    Does anyone suffer from stress eating??? and if so how do you deal with it and not head straight to the Frig or pantry????
    I have been having a lot of issues with stress eating and dealing with it.. and it's causing me to gain weight and become very depressed about not reaching my goals. Im a stay at home mom with three very active children and we are a military family which causes a lot of stress and worries. Im trying so hard to avoid eating junk when im stressed but it seems like it's the only things that calms my stress level..
    Please if anyone can give me advice of how to over come this i would really appreciate it

Thank you!

First don't keep the bad stuff in the house even if you only buy it for the kids, that was one of my mistakes that I corrected. Don't worry about the kids they will live, lol. Mine have.

We are also a military family, I usually don't see my hubby till 7pm every night, I have a 16yr old and 10yr old who keep me extremely busy. So I can relate.

I realized that planning really helped. I look at my schedule for the day once I get the youngest on the school bus. I see where I will have pockets of time so I plan to eat my snack or meal then. I even pack food & drinks to keep with me so I don't have to resort to eating out half the time.

For Example
    5:30a - wake up
    5:45a - go on 10mi bike ride thru neighborhood
    6:35a - get home, stretch
    6:45a - wake up 10yr old, make both kids breakfast
    7a - teenager leaves for school
    7:30a - get 10yr old on school bus
    8a - have breakfast, shower & dress
    11a - run errand to Walmart
    11:30 - eat a nectarine, green tea
    12p - 1hr appt with therapist
    1p - have lunch in car, whole wheat turkey & cheese sandwich , with baby carrots, & green tea
    1:30 - 1hr appt with optometrist (Uugh, dilated my eyes, didn't know they were!)
    3p - pick up son and take to sports physical
    stop at McDonald's to get each of us a fruit & yogurt parfait for snack
    3:30 - sports physical at dr's office
    4p - teenager gets home, does his chores, homework
    5:30 - pick up dinner for the two of us, happy meal for him, 2 grilled chicken snack wraps for me
    go home, eat, leave son there with his brother to help him with his homework
    6:30 - go to school for meeting on fieldtrip
    7p - get home and recoup with hubby
    8p - hubby gets son ready for bed
    9p - go to bed

That is the kind of day that totally stresses me out but since I ate before I was ravenous, I felt alot better emotionally even though I was dog tired.

Usually my days are not that bad but I still set a time for when I eat. I have breakfast by myself as soon as youngest is gone, have lunch between 12 and 1, make dinner by 5 so that we are eating by 6.

I think the exercise has helped too since I worked so hard to burn the calories I really do not want to just shove whatever in my mouth. I keep alot of fruits, raw unsalted almonds, frozen grapes to snack on when the stress urge hits, if the chocolate urge is really bad, I have Dove mini chocolate ice cream bars, they are only 60 cal.

Try deep breathing, drink a glass of water or go for a walk if possible. I am there with you in the battle of the stress eating! LOL. Good Luck.

Demetria