Can you exercise in the morning?

Options
13»

Replies

• tatya317
    tatya317 Posts: 74
    Options
    I can't work out with a full tummy. My doctor tells me not with a full tummy, it can make some people sick.. .like me. So , I work out with an empty tummy.

I usually do my work out in the morning. I get up around 6:00 a.m. and by 6:20 I'm moving. I don't drink coffee so I get up wash up and drink water and I get started. On the mornings that I don't have time because of my schedule at work , I work out at night then after work. Mornings are great and get it out of the way..LOL but if I can't then.. I can't.

I alo exercise 6 days a week. Zumba 5 days and TAEBO every other day. The one day I dont do cardio, I still move and do some type of work out for at least 20 minutes.
  • kscarlett24
    kscarlett24 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am way too tired after work. I get up in the morning and go. I am at the gym at 5am 4 days a week and 7am Saturday and Sunday. I feel great once I am done and then don't need to worry about it for the rest of the day. Its the only time I really have to myself, since I go while the husband and kids are still sleeping. It was tough to get into the habit, but once I did, now I wake up and go without much issue.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm so not a morning person, but I do wish I could get my work outs done and over with in the AM... During the week I workout after work and even though I'm tired sometimes, but once I'm there at the gym I feel better and sweat out any issues I was having during the day... On the weekends, I do tend to workout in the morning so I'll have the rest of the day to chill or do whatever...
  • aehartley
    aehartley Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    When I started on this journey ( a year ago--maybe a litle more) I worked out in the evening. At one point I decided to try mornings and fell in love with it. Fewere poeple, the people in the morning were not as annoying to me. I could do everything I wanted and never really had to wait on a machine or the weights that I wanted. It is sooo nice. We have a strange AM comrodery at my gym. Honestly if we miss more than usual we tend to call or check on one another. Once I talked about changing gyms, and my poeple thier made signs about not wanting me to leave and hung them up before I got there....

I do about 40-45 min of cardio and then 20-30 min of weights 5-6 through the week.

Also I show saddle seat and I tend to end up at the barn working horses after work, so I don't think that I could get to the gym in the evenings now. I even changed my work schedule. I feel bad now when I don't make it to workout in the am.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I actually got up this morning at 5:30 to do my Insanity workout! I feel so much better when I work out in the morning, but there are days when my body just will not allow me to get up that early!
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Exercising in the AM is my fave...It definitely took some time to get used to waking up at an ungodly hour but when my afternoons are free after work (or the choice for a two-fer is available) I feel much better!!

Also, it wakes me up for the day and its not as crowded!
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I actually got up this morning at 5:30 to do my Insanity workout! I feel so much better when I work out in the morning, but there are days when my body just will not allow me to get up that early!

that's hardcore! I usually do it at night but this morning got up early and threw in the P90x Kenpo DVD for a change. I will workout tonight during my "regular" time. Couldn't imagine Insanity that early! LOL
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm up before daylight as well. 5:30am. I'm too tired after work and plus that is my family time. In the morning its quiet and I don't have to worry about being disturbed. I can also get to bed on earlier by not doing my exercises at night. When I did exercise at night it took me longer to fall asleep. I would be up to the wee hours of the morning. My body begin to shut down on me. I would find myself falling asleep in the middle of the day like a child needing a afternoon nap. Not good.
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    You can work out anytime. The best time is when you feel the most energetic!
  • Hollyyyxo
    Hollyyyxo Posts: 10
    Options
    I wake up early, get my exercise done before breakfast :)
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options

that's hardcore! I usually do it at night but this morning got up early and threw in the P90x Kenpo DVD for a change. I will workout tonight during my "regular" time. Couldn't imagine Insanity that early! LOL

I used to do Insanity around that time too (Best at home DVD workout EVERRRRR)

Unfortunately Shaun T and I didn't do very well on night dates!!
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options

I used to do Insanity around that time too (Best at home DVD workout EVERRRRR)

Unfortunately Shaun T and I didn't do very well on night dates!!

Fortunately he isn't my "type" so we get along just fine! LOL Insanity def lives up to its name, though. Hard to find a better home cardio workout than that. Even the "recovery day" DVD gets your heart rate up!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person. I love getting in a workout before going to work where I sit at a desk all day. It also gives me the evenings free to do other things (like sing in a choir).
    not good for much in the morning, myself. well maybe one thing....
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else have a time of the day when their body just won't perform properly?

I'm like you. I cannot workout in the morning. I'm not a morning person, so dragging myself out of bed is challenging enough. On top of that, I cannot eat or drink early in the morning, or I get pukey. I can't even imagine what would happen if I actually tried to do anything besides the 'breathe-y, stretch-y' kind of yoga in the morning.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a morning person. I love getting in a workout before going to work where I sit at a desk all day. It also gives me the evenings free to do other things (like sing in a choir).
    not good for much in the morning, myself. well maybe one thing....
    LMAO!!! :laugh:

I'm a morning person... too many years of getting up at the crack of dawn, so I think nothing of going out at 6.15am, cycle to the gym, swim for 90 mins and then cycle home again. And I always swim on an empty stomach... couldn't imagine having anything to eat or drink before going out :noway:

I've been swimming in the evenings this week as I've been away and been using the hotel's pool (not brilliant, but better than nowt I suppose) and it's ok when I can do that, but when I'm working from home, I don't feel like going out in the evening and when I come home from London, even though the gym is 2 mins from the train station, I feel less inclined to go swimming in the evening as that means a late dinner and that usually end us with me staying up later than I usually do.
  • chgn4me
    chgn4me Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am trying to start exercising in the morning. I don't have to be at work until 9 but I don't have anyone to watch my son so I would have to be up at 5am and work out for an hr so I can get home in time for my fiance to leave for work. I trying so hard to do it but I haven't made it yet...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Not that I can't workout in the mornings, I just never feel like it. I'd rather do it in the afternoon or at night. I'm trying to change that. I would like to start getting up early... and by early I mean like 7am, and workout.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do just 20 mins on my stationary bike evrry morning. Then a longer work out each night.
  • docjoe
    docjoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I usually get up at about 4:30 to go to work so would probably need to be up by 3:30 to get to the gym. That has always seemed too tough to wrap my brain around even though I am a morning perso. But my work hours are so unpredictable and I'm so fried at the end of the day that after work is tough. Plus if I go to the gym after work my kids will be getting to bed by the time I get home so that's no good.

Seeing the people that have been getting up at 3 has inspired me to give it a try. Means I'll have to join a new gym but would be worth it if it got me there...
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I drop our oldest off at school and go to the gym. The husband takes care of the twins so I can get a good hour or more in and then I come home to breakfast. It's the perfect start to the day.