you aren't on a diet anymore right?

Options
So today a girl at my work says "there are cinnamon buns in the breakroom since you aren't on a diet anymore right?" I respond, well I wasn't really on a diet just being mindful of what I eat and exercising and I still would like to lose 10 more pounds. She says "my goodness you've already lost 10 pounds if you lose 10 more you will be skinny minny!". I'm thinking...yep that's the point!

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Oh brother...
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Great attitude. Your co-worker's attitude is why most people fail. "You're on a diet? SALAD FOR BREAKFAST LUNCH AND DINNER. Not on a diet? CINNAMON BUNS GALORE!"

The happy medium is where it's at.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    So many people say the same thing to me. It is not a diet..it is eating healthy. But I say that and they think that I will never eat anything bad for me so when they catch me they think it is so scandalous. "Ooooh you are eating ICE CREAM?" haha.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think people are threatened when others start to better themselves, whether it be with weight loss or going back to school or whatever.

My own mother is telling me that I need to stop losing weight now (I'm still overweight by 30 pounds). It ticked her off when I told her that my doctor and I discuss where I need to be weight-wise, and according to him, she needs to lose 20-30 pounds herself... *snicker*
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    omg yes!
    say if i decide to treat myself to a can of coke, when I have like 700 calories left, and my mum is like "should you be drinking that??"
    and then the next day she looks at me and is like "ooh you're getting skinny emily."

I've got another 10lbs to go, I wonder what she will be saying then
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I hate the word diet. It's a lifestyle change. You need to eat/workout/be healthy for the rest of your life. Diet is such a short-term word!
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Great attitude. Your co-worker's attitude is why most people fail. "You're on a diet? SALAD FOR BREAKFAST LUNCH AND DINNER. Not on a diet? CINNAMON BUNS GALORE!"

exaactly. Im not on a "diet" either, but I do eat the same things every day, just because I like the routine. Today Im taking a break from the routine and Im gonna enjoy fried chicken and biscuits and its all going to be within my calorie goal.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I can't ever put anything perceived as unhealthy in my mouth around people I know because they immediately jump down my throat with things like "HEY AREN'T YOU ON A DIET CAN YOU EAT THAT?"

I've never said I was on a diet. I have said I am eating healthier overall to lose weight. That doesn't exclude unhealthy things every now and then... idiots. -_-
  • Fridaydalek
    Fridaydalek Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Office I used to work in, if I brought in a salad for lunch it'd be "Oh, you're on a diet then?".

Could bring in chocolate, biscuits, BLT sandwiches... no comments.

It's like trying to eat healthily is weird or something.
  • mrsbrown2k1
    mrsbrown2k1 Posts: 139
    Options
    we went to a restaurant for brunch last sunday and we were talking with the waitress. I told her the breakfasts looked amazing but were way too unhealthy for me to eat. Her reply, well it's still early in the day. You have plenty of time to burn off those calories. My come back was, I'll order the fruit bowl.

People amaze me.
  • TobyTimmyNala
    TobyTimmyNala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    we went to a restaurant for brunch last sunday and we were talking with the waitress. I told her the breakfasts looked amazing but were way too unhealthy for me to eat. Her reply, well it's still early in the day. You have plenty of time to burn off those calories. My come back was, I'll order the fruit bowl.

People amaze me.

haha! IThat food better be amazing if I'm going to have to burn off those extra calories!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    People where I used to work would look at what I eat and how much I exercise and say "That's why you're so skinny! I could NEVER be THAT dedicated!" I always had to bite my tongue from saying "You know what? You're right. You couldn't. If you say you can't do something then you're right."

Of course the funniest thing my boss said to me was that junk food was like cryptonite to me. LOL.
  • Fridaydalek
    Fridaydalek Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've never said I was on a diet. I have said I am eating healthier overall to lose weight. That doesn't exclude unhealthy things every now and then... idiots. -_-

True. Why, as I type I'm enjoying a Snickers... mmmm..... Snickers.....
  • maddyg1989
    maddyg1989 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Some people these days... Be the skinny minny!!!!! Be hotter than that person (they're just setting you up for failure) =D
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

yes! 100%
  • trinawynne75052
    Options
    Keep that attitude & the great work!!!
  • TobyTimmyNala
    TobyTimmyNala Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to be the person in my office to have a drawer full of snacks (chips, cookies, etc) and people would come to my desk when they wanted a snack. There was even a point when my boss paid me to buy snacks. Now people come over to my desk wanting a snack and I'm like I've got a banana, 100 calorie packs, or some 94% FF popcorn, you want something? The answer is usually no. haha!
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just had a 1/4 of a red velvet cupcake from Sprinkles.

My co-worker: "You're still on that diet, right?"

Me: "Well I'm really just trying to eat healthy and workout."

Co-worker: *Disapproving look* :huh:

Me: "Well I try not to deprive myself.... It's been working so far. 25 lbs. and counting..." :wink:

Hey- if people can be judgmental then I get to be passive aggressive. Happy Friday folks!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • tquig
    tquig Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

I personally think if more people thought of the word 'diet' as a noun instead of a verb there would be a lot more healthy people out there.

As in "I watch my diet" = lifestyle vs. "I am dieting" = single event, may or may not work, back to old ways within a month after stopping.
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    :laugh: this made me laugh - especially as I was reading it whilst eating a jam doughnut - and still being in my calorie, fat, saturated fat and carb limit for the day!

People just don't understand the whole 'moderation' thing!

Your attitude is fantastic, and keep up the great work :happy: