running for fitness

Options
Hi everyone,

Im a 33 yr old female and I started running 2 weeks ago and have been doing just under 2 miles twice a week (at a pace of 10 mins per mile)
I have been on the same route and will do this for about 2 more weeks before I change to something longer and different (my current route has good flats / inclines & downhill elements)

Im eating approx 1200 per week however this may increase a little over the weekends 
Im not bothered bout weight as such as im sure I’ll gain mucle, however my goal is to lose inches (I would love love love this to be off my knees & thighs!!)

My questions are:

Am I running enough to lose inches?
How long will it take before I start seeing results?

Replies

• NeilsWifex
    Options
    Bump
  • DMRun
    DMRun Posts: 25
    Options
    I started running to lose weight, and I've found the weight to come off slowly, but the muscle I've gained in the past 18mos is amazing! As you increase your endurance and distance you will notice a difference in your legs and hips, but it may take some time. I really noticed the increase in muscle mass in my legs and gluts after about a year of running - but keep in mind I still have some 'cushioning' to hide the muscles ;) ! I run 3-5 times/week and started half marathon training during my first year of running, so my distance was gradually increasing over time. Make sure that you are taking in enough calories to keep your body fueled - and replenish with protien after your runs. Since your legs are the largest muscle group - you will burn some serious cals running, if you don't replenish it will be difficult to build muscle mass :)

My suggestion is to find an event in your area - like a 5K or 10K - get a training program and work towards that goal. Have fun!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I've been working on running for myself (33f)! You are doing way better than me, and I've been at it for 2 months already! I didn't start seeing noticeable changes in the shape of my body until I started lifting as well. But you'll lose the inches eventually with running. Ever see a fat runner (full time runner or professional)? 1200 calories may not be enough for you!