Eating exactly my BMR - is weightloss possible!?

Options
HELLO EVERYBODY!!!

I've been using the site for a while, reading posts but I can't find quite what I am looking for! Any adivse on the below would be ace.

I am a 32YO male, 6ft exact and 181lbs.

I have a target weight of 164lb and a body fat target around 12/13 (currently 20.1).

My confusion? Eating under my BMR...

So with a BMR of aprrox 1900, mfp has worked out that in order for me to lose 2lb's a week I should only be netting 1270 calories per day. This seems wrong to me. What I feel I SHOULD do is eat my BMR, and as an active person I burn above and beyond this (around a TDEE of 2500). Could anyone advise me against the points below:

- I want to always eat my BMR, and eat back additional calories burnt through excersise so that I ALWAYS net 1900
- Will this simply result in maintance?
- Should I instead not eat back my excersise calories or look for a further deifict from there (though would this not mean me eating under my BMR again)

I have been excersising regulary for a long time but with little change to my actual weight/ bodyfat%

Confused... O_o

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    HELLO EVERYBODY!!!

I've been using the site for a while, reading posts but I can't find quite what I am looking for! Any adivse on the below would be ace.

I have a target weight of 164lb and a body fat target around 12/13 (currently 20.1).

So with a BMR of aprrox 1900, mfp has worked out that in order for me to lose 2lb's a week I should only be netting 1270 calories per day. This seems wrong to me. What I feel I SHOULD do is eat my BMR, and as an active person I burn above and beyond this (around a TDEE of 2500). Could anyone advise me against the points below:

- I want to always eat my BMR, and eat back additional calories burnt through excersise so that I ALWAYS net 1900
    - Should I instead not eat back my excersise calories or look for a further deifict from there (though would this not mean me eating under my BMR again)

I have been excersising regulary for a long time but with little change to my actual weight/ bodyfat%

Confused... O_o

If you already know your approx TDEE, eat at a 10-20% deficit to that. No eating back exercise cals or anything like that.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    ^^This with regards to calories.

You mention exercising for a while and not losing. What exercises are you doing?
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    According to Katch-MCardle, using a moderate-heavy activity multiplier of 1.52, you should be eating 1900 cals/day. Acg67 is correct, don't eat back your calories. This should net you around 1.5 lbs/week of fat loss. Keep strength training to minimize muscle loss.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you already know your approx TDEE, eat at a 10-20% deficit to that. No eating back exercise cals or anything like that.

I agree with this too. Also, 2lb's a week is more than probably unrealistic. Stick to the above and take what you get. Don't let your desire for results get in the way of doing it the best way.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Give the podcast, Fat2Fit radio a listen. It's available for free at itunes, and these 2 guys support a lifestyle of eating your BMR to lose weight, just like you're talking about. They explain all about it, how it works, and they have great calculators and tools on their website, http://www.fat2fitradio.com/. They have completely revolutionized how I think about diet/weight loss and I think they will help clarify your questions.

Good luck!
  • CamFitness101
    CamFitness101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

10-20% less than my daily TDEE?

Mostly cardio - I run a lot (entering a 10K in Oct) and once a week do a long distance cycle (for fun as well as a good 1000+ calorie burn).

I have had some success but feel as though have slowed down too quickly - likely due to far too few calories on a 1250 daily plan
  • myak623
    Options
    Thanks!

10-20% less than my daily TDEE?

Mostly cardio - I run a lot (entering a 10K in Oct) and once a week do a long distance cycle (for fun as well as a good 1000+ calorie burn).

I have had some success but feel as though have slowed down too quickly - likely due to far too few calories on a 1250 daily plan

Strength training is better for fat loss. There isn't anything wrong with cardio, but you should incorporate heavy lifting into your program at some point. Take a look at Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    1250 a day sounds way too low for a 32 year old man. The advice you are getting to eat 1900 and continue the exercise sounds like a much better idea.
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    1900 calories for you per day, gross. Don't eat back exercise calories. Aim for 1 lb - 2 lb per week. If you are losing faster than that after the first two weeks, up your calories 200 a day. Too much too fast leads to accelerated muscle loss.
  • skinnyjeansdiva
    Options
    HELLO EVERYBODY!!!

Confused... O_o

how do I find my TDEE?
  • crux
    Options
    Strength training is better for fat loss. There isn't anything wrong with cardio, but you should incorporate heavy lifting into your program at some point. Take a look at Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

It does not have to be a case of one or the other and which is best is subjective to the subject... You can and should if possible do both..

5x5 is tough for a runner, but with a modified version using the same lifts it is possible (not easy) to increase strength while still running.
  • myak623
    Options

how do I find my TDEE?

Go to this site to get BMR: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr

Multiply one of the following to your BMR:

Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Well, if you eat exactly BMR calories and no more, you might even loose more than 4lbs per week. That's not healthy. BMR calculates only the energy your body needs itself even if you stay into the bed 24hr. So, doing a normal life and eating only BMR calories, you are practically creating a big deficit in calories. (starving)
    My BMR is 2037.95, but my daily calorie intake is something around 3200 - 3400. Since I'm on a cutting program, I eat 2800 so I can loose approx. 2lbs per week. So I eat about 800 cal above my BMR to stay healthy and have energy for my exercises and daily activities, in the same time loose fat.
  • Manthafl
    Manthafl Posts: 3
    Options
    I do strength training with cardio between sets (jump rope, jogging in place, jumping jacks, etc) will not only burn a ton of calories but keep you burning calories longer than just cardio. Try high intensity interval training to mix up your cardio. Both of these have helped me when in a plateau. No matter how many calories you eat to lose weight you need to have a deficit between your calories in and calories out for it to work (500 deficit/day equals one pound lost per week). So you can eat more or less depending on how intense your workouts are, just keep your body fueled by eating every 3 hours -eat small meals, too much at one seating will not get burned off. Always include protein and never have to few calories - you'll lose that metabolic tissue (muscle) not fat!
  • myak623
    Options

It does not have to be a case of one or the other and which is best is subjective to the subject... You can and should if possible do both..

5x5 is tough for a runner, but with a modified version using the same lifts it is possible (not easy) to increase strength while still running.

I'm talking specific about fat loss. Don't start with this "which is better" discussion here. There another thread for that. If you want to debate it, go find it.
  • crux
    Options
    Edit... Must remember not to bother arguing on forums :tongue:
  • myak623
    Options
    I'm talking specific about fat loss. Don't start with this "which is better" discussion here. There another thread for that. If you want to debate it, go find it.

I think you will find you started it

Let me rephrase to make above guy happy! I agree that both cardio and strength training should be combined. I do believe, since you are mostly a cardio guy and are having trouble with BF%, that you should incorporate heavy lifting routines into your program.
  • CamFitness101
    CamFitness101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Guys - this is great!

I knew that simply eating a set amount of calories irreflective of excersise calories would not be a great idea!

@ myak623 - this site looks great, exactly what I have been thinking about

Thanks all - you've made me look at this all in a very different way, best of luck to you all with your plans! :happy:
  • flowtoriver
    Options
    Hello,

Be patient, it works. I am 5'6" tall, I was 150 lbs before, I lost 12 lbs in 2 and a half month by exercising and eat less at dinner time (eat 1 lb of vegetable before I eat other things in dinner). After I signed up for this website, I try to follow their suggestion of eating exactly as my BMR, I think it is a good guideline, even though sometimes I eat more and have the exercise to compensate it, it is a good reference and bring up my awareness.

I realized swimming, walking or aerobric exercise work well in weight lost, weight training can tune up muscle but cannot reduce weight. I found that loss weight by exercise and avoid eating too much can help me to build up a better figure, not unhealthy kind of thin, but slim fit, it also improve my skin, hair and emotions.

Keep it up, you can do it!
  • skinnyjeansdiva
    Options

how do I find my TDEE?

Go to this site to get BMR: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr

Multiply one of the following to your BMR:

Average activity variables are:
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.2 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

okay thanks a ton