Most muscles for fewest exercises

Options
Hi,

I have started to get the feeling that my gym routine is pretty unstructured and disorganised. I want to trim all the fat off it and go from doing lots and lots of different lifts on different days, to just doing a handful of compound moves, 3 times a week.

Compound moves seem to be all the rage at the moment and there's a huge amount of love for squats, and almost as much for deadlifts, so I know these two should be the basis of my workout.

But my question is what muscles will I miss out if I just do squats and deadlifts?

What other compound moves should I be doing to target the muscles that these 2 moves miss out?

I'm doing this at home so have limited equipment available, just dumbbells, a barbell and a bench. No cables/KBs/Balls/etc.

Cheers - David

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You need to give your upper body some love. If you want to stick with compound dumbbell moves, try the double-handed wood chop which will sort our your arms and transverse abs:
    http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/abs-workout/dumbbell-double-woodchop-9623

Maybe thing about adding shoulder raises to your squats. There are some other suggestions here:
    http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/6-upper-body-compound-moves-432078
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    You can stick to simple compound lifts and end up with a balanced physique.

Squats, Deads, Bench, Military Press, Pullups and Rows cover just about everything.
    (I workout in my basement with limited equipment)

Look into something like starting strength or 5/3/1.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    I am embarking on a 5x5 Stronglifts program. From my reading thus far, this may be just what you are looking for.
  • leestanley3
    leestanley3 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yeah the stong lift program is great for what youare looking for. Squat everyday and bench or pull in the session. You can also try olympic cleans and snatches which are both awesome for whole body strength.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ive heard of StrongLifts before but never looked into it properly.

Ive just been on the site and had to read through several pages of preaching and promises just to get to an email form, so they can send me this spreadsheet.

I'm skeptical. Everything about this looks like a ploy to build a subscriber list. Is this really genuine? Am I on the right site stronglifts.com?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts is free, and all the information you need is on the website. The pdf you get for subscribing is pretty much the website..in pdf.

While Strong Lifts does cover major muscles, it does miss a few. Someone earlier said pullups(palms facing away), and I would modify that to say chin-ups(palms facing you)

I'm personally adding barbell curls, face pulls, and some sort of tricep exercise to Strong Lifts.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am doing stronglifts, there is a great app if you have a smart phone. But it is this:

Alternating workouts with a day of rest in between.

Day 1
    Squats, Bench Press, Barbell Row 5 x5
    Day 2
    Squats,Overhead Press, Deadlift

He says add 5lbs every workout, but I think that is too quick to up weight.

I also do pushups every workout just cause..
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I am embarking on a 5x5 Stronglifts program. From my reading thus far, this may be just what you are looking for.

This is it! 3 weeks in. I'm loving it. Simple to follow. Get's the whole body. Doesn't take hours at a time. Take me about 35 minutes warmup to finish. I understand that will get closer to 50 minutes to an hour as I progress but not so far. I am also in great cardio shape from HIIT, running and biking. I never take more than 1 minute between sets, My HR get's up into the 140 but I recover back to the 120 or teens in less that a minute usually. The iPone app says to rest 90 seconds if easy, 3 minutes if hard. I have rarely gotten to 90 seconds on a real hard set.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Most have been covered above, but if you want a little extra cardio in with the rest add kettlebell/dumbell swings. 30 reps for 3 sets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about how annoying StrongLifts' website is, and the PDF they send you is a lot more of the same before you get to any of the real info. That said, the workout itself is really good, once you get past all the used-car salesman crap. Here's the cliff notes version:

Two alternating workouts (A and B), 3 times per week. You add 5 pounds to each exercise each workout you do it (so Squats gain 5 pounds every workout, because they're in both A and B. Bench Press gains 5 pounds each time you do workout A, etc).

Workout A:

Squats (5 sets of 5, start with an empty bar weight of 45 pounds and go up from there)
    Bench press (5 sets of 5, start with 45 pounds).
    Barbell Rows (5 sets of 5, start with 65 pounds (you need plates on the bar to get the proper starting height off the floor. Depending on how big your 10lb plates are, you may also need to stack a couple of plates on the floor for extra height at first).

Workout B:

Squats (same as in workout A)
    Overhead Press (5 sets of 5, starting with 45 pounds)
    Deadlift (ONE set of 5, starting with 95 pounds. Same reasons as with the rows, you need the bar to be at the proper height off the ground. Increase weight of the deadlift by 10 pounds per workout instead of 5).

Rest for between 1 and 5 minutes between sets, and start doing warmup sets once you reach around 90 pounds over your starting weight. For warmup sets, he recommends 2 sets of 5 at the original starting weight, then add around 40-50 pounds at a time, doing 1 set of 3 reps until you reach your work weight, then do your 5 sets of 5. You shouldn't need to rest between the warmup sets.

Keep up that routine until you reach a point where you can't do your full 5x5 on a particular exercise. When that happens, don't increase the weight for that exercise. Instead, try the same weight again next time. If you can't reach 5x5 three workouts in a row on a particular exercise, decrease the weight by 10% and then start going up again from there (in the usual 5 pound increments). You can switch from adding 10lbs at a time to 5lbs on Deadlift once you've stalled, as well.

This is the "beginner" workout. Once you've stalled on an exercise a few times, he recommends moving on to other workout structures (3x5, 1x5, and so on), but it'll take you a few months to get to that point.
  • plagirl227
    plagirl227 Posts: 134
    Options
    Push-ups. And you don't even need any equipment...
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5 is fun and in the beginning should only take 30 minutes top a day 3 days a week, as the weights get heavier you will need more rest between sets and it will stretch out a bit more. make sure you do the pendlay rows properly ( google it).

it will seem way to easy for the first 2 months. stick with it, don't jump ahead or you will hurt your progress. Use your few easy months to perfect and improve your form for all lifts and only move up when you complete the 5x5 with impeccable form.

Good luck.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I agree with you about how annoying StrongLifts' website is, and the PDF they send you is a lot more of the same before you get to any of the real info. That said, the workout itself is really good, once you get past all the used-car salesman crap.

Totally agree on the annoyingness of the website. The iPhone app is everything the website is not. Simple clear and to the point!
  • IPAfan5
    IPAfan5 Posts: 27
    Options
    You keep saying that your entire workout only takes 30 minutes total. Do you guys not do the warm up sets and how long do you rest between sets? I find that I am taking close to 30 minutes per exercise?
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    I saw from the link - that push ups and abs are added to Workout A- and chin ups/pull ups and abs are added to Workout B--and they swapped out the barbell rows for inverted rows- this i not on my phone ap-- but I had added/ everthing but the inverted rows myself to my planned program- I do ab ripper X instead of the ab work- as well as very limited isolation or other lifts--2 sets of 8- curls, tris to Workout A shrugs, side bends to Workout B-- I may eliminate some as the weight gets heavier--

You're looking at an old version of the PDF. The latest one goes back to Barbell Rows and makes the other exercises optional. There are posts on the website explaining these changes:

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-assistance-exercises-pullups-pushups/
    http://stronglifts.com/barbell-rows-inverted-rows-stronglifts-5x5/
  • dlwyatt82
    Options
    You keep saying that your entire workout only takes 30 minutes total. Do you guys not do the warm up sets and how long do you rest between sets? I find that I am taking close to 30 minutes per exercise?

The workout is very fast at first, because the weight is so light that you don't need warmup sets at all, and you probably need minimal rest between sets. Once you get close to your maximum weight, you'll need to start resting for closer to 5 minutes between sets, which makes the workout take somewhere between 1 and 2 hours, generally (less on Deadlift day, since you don't do 5 sets of those).
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bump...I would love to read this later..

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • snowbirdy
    snowbirdy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You can stick to simple compound lifts and end up with a balanced physique.

Squats, Deads, Bench, Military Press, Pullups and Rows cover just about everything.
    (I workout in my basement with limited equipment)

Look into something like starting strength or 5/3/1.

This would be enough as
    Squats work - calves, quads, hamstrings and core
    Dead lifts work - pretty much the same as squats but in much different angle and focus on each, as well as more upperbody
    Military press works mainly shoulders and triceps with some core and chest in there
    Bench press works mainly chest and triceps with some shoulders
    Pull-ups work mainly your back and also hit bicep and forearm and a little core
    Rows work mainly back and biceps with some forearm and core.

So if you look at the above all muscle groups are hit.