to log or not to log....

Options
I have a bit of dilemma here... I weigh my self everyday... i weigh my self yesterday and according to my scale i lost a pound between yesterday and today. first time ever happen!

here's the are the factors:
~ have not eaten for 12hours... normally, i eat dinner between 9pm and 10pm but yesterday, i ate some soup around 6pm and had some water and no longer hungry the rest of the night...
~drunk 11glasses of water for few days... normally, i only drink average of 6glasses per day...
~last factor is, i normally use the restroom only once every 3 to 4days... not normal but i've been that way ever since.... yesterday, i went in the morning and had some activia and went again in the afternoon... pretty much cleanned me out....

would i log or not to log my weigh in today? thanks in advance for your response! :)

Replies

• ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you log your weight every day, then log your weight every day. It'll be just one blip in a bunch of blips. It's really up to you, though. If it'll feel too demoralizing to gain that pound back tomorrow, then don't.

I only weigh myself like once a month, and take my measurements every two weeks, so hopefully i'll be able to avoid having to deal with too much fluctuation.
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    Pick a certain day of the week and log on that day even if you weigh yourself in between. Only log on that day even if it is a gain and not a loss. Mine is Monday. This week I wished it wasn't because I was much happier with Wednesday. I get weigh every couple of days just out of curiosity but it is my Monday weight that I concentrate on.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'd log it! Keep drinking all that water and you may see more losses in the days to come!
  • jesuslovesme145
    Options
    Well, I think it would depend on whether you are going to keep all the water drinking and what not a normal habit. I think it is good that you are drinking all that water, and if you weren't hungry for twelve hours, i guess that's ok... Since it was night time in all and you were most likely sleeping. So, if you are going to continue what you did yesterday, I would say that its ok to log it, but if not, I would rejoice still, but I'm not sure if it would stay that way the next couple of days :)
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day to keep track of my sodium intake, if I get too much one day I try to cut back the next, but I only log it once a week. Every day is a bit too much I think.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well, I weigh daily and I log any loss. It's a bit more accurate if you log weekly or so, but those variables you listed make a difference no matter what day. And upping your water intake can definitely lead to a larger loss because it will help get rid of water retention.
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If I weighed in everyday it would drive me nuts. Your weight typically changes a pound or so here or there due to water and other factors. Id go with weighing in no more than once a week.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Pick a certain day of the week and log on that day even if you weigh yourself in between. Only log on that day even if it is a gain and not a loss. Mine is Monday. This week I wished it wasn't because I was much happier with Wednesday. I get weigh every couple of days just out of curiosity but it is my Monday weight that I concentrate on.

this! I normally weigh myself every other Monday. I feel like I get a clearer picture of what's going on that way.
  • madrap
    madrap Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, first thing in the morning. I only log it when I hit a new low. It always goes up a little in between for a few days, then it goes to a new low. That sets a new goal for me every few days, which helps me stay inspired.
  • peejay34mason
    peejay34mason Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If I weighed in everyday it would drive me nuts. Your weight typically changes a pound or so here or there due to water and other factors. Id go with weighing in no more than once a week.

^
    Absolutely agree. I think weighing in is much too volatile to do on a daily basis. It can fluctuate too much based upon sodium intake, lack of bowel movements (eat more fiber though), and water intake to flush your system. I would also recommend once a week!
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, first thing in the morning. I only log it when I hit a new low. It always goes up a little in between for a few days, then it goes to a new low. That sets a new goal for me every few days, which helps me stay inspired.

I like that method! Turns the scale into more of a good thing than an irritation. I'm gonna start thinking about it this way - thanks!
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have one official weigh in day a week (Saturdays) but I do like to weigh myself daily so I just enter it as a food note, even if it's lower than my best low (and yes by weighing in daily you will see such a difference day to day,sometimes as much as 2 lbs a day, crazy :)
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning - naked with an empty bladder and before I eat anything or shower. I log it each day, but I know to expect the daily fluctuations. I don't count myself as hitting a mini goal until I've had 3 consecutive days at or below that goal.

If you log it daily MFP will post any loss from the previous logged weight in your news feed, which can be misleading if you're back and forth on the same pound for several days. When that happens I delete the post on my news feed so I'm not misleading my friends as to my achievements!
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I like that method! Turns the scale into more of a good thing than an irritation. I'm gonna start thinking about it this way - thanks!
    I do the same thing. I have no problems with fluctuations and I expect them. My fluctuations are usually within 2 lbs and I don't consider them a gain at all. Once in a while the scale maintains the 2 lb fluctuation for 2 weeks, but I don't consider that a failure to lose weight, I consider it a success that I haven't regained weight lost.
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and log it. I try to weigh at the same time every day. I also expect to see a saw-tooth line of ups and downs on my progress graph. If you only want to see a steady decline, then I'd recommend weighing less frequently.
  • elsalily
    elsalily Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If I start seeing a loss, I wait to see the same number three days in a row and then I log it. I know that otherwise it can be a variation.... so I would suggest waiting a little, but as others said, it does depend on how often you record your losses.
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to be like you with the problem only using the bathroom every 2 or 3 days. I have a bit of a soultion for that no fast food or easy to make foods, incressed veggies and no red meat. this has made a big differance I do go normal now if that helps any with that hope it is useful. As for the scale (that dredded scale) I only weigh in on Sunday for me it is the begging odf the week, and measure once a month. I know I should measure weekly too just not confident in that yet. The water is great 10 cups of water a day will help you keep the water weight down and give you more energy. Keep up the good work.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and log it in two places. On MFP, I only log my Monday morning weight. I have another app on my iPhone where I log daily. This allows me to track fluctuation due to hormones, sodium, etc.

If you're in the habit of logging weekly, I wouldn't log on an "off" day, but that's just me. It can be annoying sometimes. Last Friday I weighed 136.6 pounds, but then after a weekend with friends my official weight on Monday was 138. I logged the 138.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Wrong post...
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options

I do exactly this.