Snacking when bored

Options
Does anyone else do this? At my job I get bored EASY, specially when we arent busy, and I just snack and I swear thats killing my waist line. I have healthy snacks but those can become unhealthy after to much snacking.... What do you do to keep your mind busy>?

Replies

• kevinjones00
    Options
    drink a glass of water, stand up and go for a walk around the office.
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options
    I drink a LOT at the office. I don't allow myself any snack foods because I know I can't control myself with my portions yet. So drink up, girl!!! And yes, taking a walk around the office to get your mind off things is a great way, too!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yep, I often drink or go for walks as well.

I also try to be mentally present when I eat, even if I'm eating lunch, so that I'm being conscious of what I'm doing. I enjoy my meals more and am less prone to blinding snacking.
  • jessann87
    jessann87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I totally have the same problem! At my deask job I get so bored and we have snack items that we sell and I always want more! I try to make myself drink water or I start writing and organizing different things to keeo me distracted and thinking of other things. I am still in a constant battle right now with it but I have been trying different strategies! Like today I had a big breakfast and made sure I was full. so far I'm doing good, but we will see how long it lasts..
  • shortygurl0815
    Options
    I was having this problem just yesterday. It was a slow day, not much to keep my mind busy, and my mouth just wanted something. I knew I wasn't hungry, but I couldn't stop thinking about snacking! Thankfully, I keep some Crystal Light single packets handy. It was just enough flavor to satisfy my craving for a couple of hours, and only 5 calories!
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else do this? At my job I get bored EASY, specially when we arent busy, and I just snack and I swear thats killing my waist line. I have healthy snacks but those can become unhealthy after to much snacking.... What do you do to keep your mind busy>?

Chew gum instead, it works.
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I am also a total boredom eater. Gum really helps me and water as well. Good luck!
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Chew gum instead, it works.

Same. Sometimes I chew 4-5 pieces a day to stray away from snacking.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I chew gum. I think mint makes everything gross...so I find I don't even want to eat.
  • barenaud13
    Options
    Sometimes chewing gum will help, but I've recently adopted Jillian Michael's suggestion and it's been working for me. Take about three bites worth of a snack food, and then wait TWENTY MINUTES before allowing yourself any more. It's hard, but I always tell myself I WILL get more. By the time that the time has passed, I typically won't want any more. If I do, I only allow myself three more bites. Rinse & Repeat, but typically you will find your crave is gone!
  • Jersey14
    Jersey14 Posts: 40
    Options
    Not a bad idea barenaud13! I'll have to try that. I've been trying to bring veggies and lite dressing since I'm not a big fan of raw vegetables.
  • Panda_Path
    Panda_Path Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the mind, but sometimes I literally have to cover my mouth. I use a bandana. Extreme perhaps and embarrassing, but it works.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea all morning. In the afternoon I have a can of coconut La Croix and that helps the sweet cravings. I also bring grapes to work. I can have a whole cup for 63 calories.
    I used to keep fun size packs of M&Ms at my desk. I could make one pack last over two hours by only allowing myself one every 5 minutes. I still got to have my chocolate but I kept it reasonable.
    The very biggest help has been only bringing good things to snack on. I have my grapes and a little baggie of carrots. If I'm not hungry enough to eat the grapes or the carrots, I must not really be hungry.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I mostly use willpower. Also, I've stopped keeping snack foods in my desk. I have Special K bars for breakfast and the rest is lunch food. I have a little candy from before I started the diet.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

What do you do to keep your mind busy>?

Think about the pain of having to record and review all the calories at the end of the day.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I am also a total boredom eater. Gum really helps me and water as well. Good luck!

Some people also brush their teeth.
  • kiranicsmom
    kiranicsmom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always have water with me at work. I can seriously drink 3 liters in an 8 hour shift. I also only allow myself my "planned" snacks. I usually bring in something for a morning snack and something for an afternoon snack. That way I know what my intake is going to be ahead of time. Gum also helps me too.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Water and gum save me from mindless munching. That's why you sometimes see me with upwards of 16 cups of water a day. I'm actually working on bringing that number down without bringing back the snacking. I realized after last Thursday (I drank like 22/23 cups of water, not counting the tea, propel, and soda) that I was overdoing the water. I actually felt sick last Friday from too many fluids. So this week is a whole new level of will power testing. Thank goodness I have a good gum supply in a variety of flavors.
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I chew gum. I think mint makes everything gross...so I find I don't even want to eat.

Yup! I do this too. If I'm still feeling like eating after a meal and I can't drop everything and go brush my teeth, I chew extra dessert delights mint chocolate chip gum. It tastes good but makes everything else taste nastified. Also, I think the minty thing helps my brain get the 'hey, we are done now' message.