So what would you put?

So,this year im going to have a garden. Were going tomorrow and getting all the plants and seeds for it. So far i want,carrots,spinach,lettus,tomatoes,green peppers,and then im thinking about colliflower,brockley,and green beans? What else should i plant? Any suggestions? Oh,and any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,Kim...:flowerforyou:

Replies

• cucumbers- easy to grow- squash is too
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 122 Member
    How about carrots, radishes, squash, cabbage, cucumbers...:smile:
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Herbs... great for cooking!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Sugar snap peas, parsley, chives, basil, green beans, zuchinni, jalepeno peppers....those are my staples. :)
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    Wow yea i never thought about herbs....good idea,thanks ladies!
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Tomatoes, basil. dill, zucchini, red peppers, cucumbers, strawberries(I planted one plant 3 years ago and it keeps producing more plants, my box is completely dedicated to strawberries now).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,185 Member
    ONION, the more varieties the better.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Definitely herbs! I live in California & have a year round growing season.

Summer crops:
    tomatoes
    zucchini
    cucumbers
    eggplant
    peppers
    green beans
    melons
    basil

Winter crops:
    lettuce
    spinach
    carrots
    garlic
    peas
    turnips
    parsnips
    cauliflower
    broccoli
    cabbage
    parsely

I've also grown potatoes, and onions, and have rhubarb in a permanent spot. My garlic chives come back every year, which I love.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    How much space do you have? What are the sun/shade conditions? What kind of soil do you have, and are you planning on doing something like a raised bed? Where do you live, and how long is your growing season?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    There's a website and a book for Square Foot Gardening, which is awesome if you don't have a lot of space. http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

I have three raised beds and follow that method pretty closely.
  • Jeepinmom4
    Jeepinmom4 Posts: 298 Member
    i want it to be the size of a large truck,suburban sized. no raised bed,im in the midwest,or southern illinois,sun is about 80% of the day and i have no clue what the growing time is here,my guess would be a couple months. Soil is hard,but good. I do plan on adding a small amount of plant food since its the first time the ground will be used for a garden in at least 10 years.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    That's not a lot of ground space, so think about growing things that either grow as bushes naturally, or ones that can be trained vertically. A lot of vines won't be practical because of the size of the lot. Your success with gardening will depend on how good your soil is. Forget plant food. Use LOTS and LOTS of organic matter. Compost is your friend. If you're planning on growing root vegetables, you need to have your soil worked to a pretty good depth (at least a foot). Things like carrots and potatoes won't give you much yield in hard/packed soil.