Toning

Options
odm73
odm73 Posts: 14 Member
I keep reading that you need to lose the fat before you start working on defining the muscles because you can actually form muscle OVER the fat and not get rid of the saddle bag...or the stomach pouch...etc....My question is, when do I know that I am ready to start doing strength training? I have been doing cardio for about a month and a half and have lost around 9 lbs but nothing is toning up so I am getting frustrated and my motivation is slipping. Any advice would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• proctor0828
    Options
    I have never heard (I could be wrong) but muscle helps burn fat faster so I have never heard of not working on your muscle until you loose weight. Just think all the workout programs do cardio and muscle toning into one.
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    I don't know where you read that, but it isnt true! Start strength training now. Its true that most of our fat sits on top of our muscle (and yes, some fat even exists within muscle), so you don't always see muscle definition after stregth training... However, strengthening is always a good thing. Unless you are a body builder and purposefully bulking up, when muscles get stronger, they also become more compact and leaner. You appear smaller and more toned. Plus, your body becomes more fit and processes food more efficiently, your metabolism is boosted, you get stronger... If you are new to strength training I reccomend paying for a personal trainer (its expensive, around $50 a session, but getting the right technique is really important). Or, start taking yoga classes regularly. You will love it! :drinker:
  • proctor0828
    Options
    I have never heard (I could be wrong) but muscle helps burn fat faster so I have never heard of not working on your muscle until you loose weight. Just think all the workout programs do cardio and muscle toning into one.
    you just are less able to see the muscle because it forms under the fat and so you don't see it very well until you loose that fat
  • lacy100
    lacy100 Posts: 19
    Options
    The great thing about strength training (weights) is that your metabolism stays elevated for a longer period of time than cardio workouts. Don't get me wrong; cardio is very important to work off that fat and strengthen your heart/blood pressure and overall health. Try to incorporate 3 days of strength training weekly, skipping every other day to let your muscles rest. Try to do one hour of cardio 5 times a week, and pay attention to what you are eating. If you have a carbohydrate, try to mix in a protein every time. For instance, if you have a slice of wheat bread or an english muffin, eat it with some eggbeaters egg whites to offset the carbs. Carbs and proteins together!

I have lost 30 lbs taking group exercise classes, and hiring a personal trainer. Trainers are expensive, but it's your health, your life... Splurge on that! Good luck!!!
  • Itmomma
    Itmomma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same thing about not toning till you lose, but decided to do it anyway. Having more muscle on your body makes you burn more calories just sitting still. It's not like once you put on muscle that the fat that is underneath is stuck there forever, you will eventually get rid of it! I have been working out for the past 1 1/2 years after I hit my all time high and only discovered this web site in May, I have been losing consistently since cutting my cals and continuing the weight training. I was losing before I found this site but, never knew how many cals I needed (or how many I was consuming) I do cardio also , not less than 25 minutes nor longer than 45. I weight train 5 days per week and have toned and added muscle. My metabolism has gone through the roof, I eat small "meals" about every 3 hours and feel great. I have lost 42 pounds since I started my journey and have lost MANY inches all over. My arms stop waving goodbye when I do now! Each person is different, but I know adding weights will not hurt you. Take measurements because muscle is more dense than fat, so your scale may say you are gaining when you are actually burning fat and adding muscle. Have you ever heard of the difference between 1 pound of feathers and 1 pound of lead? Hope this helps!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The idea that "muscle will form over the fat and make you look bigger" is unfounded in my experience. In 25 years, I can never recall one instance where that has occurred as part of a weight loss program.

First of all, gaining "muscle" is not that easy or that fast of a process. You can increase fat free mass, and you can "tone" muscle (make it look less flabby), but actually increasing muscle size takes some time and effort.

Many of the "accepted" benefits of strength training (muscle burns more calories at rest) are significantly overstated, so I am not going to repeat "the list" in detail. The bottom line is that research has shown that, whatever the underlying mechanism, those who include strength training to their routines along with diet and cardio do better int the long term, than diet alone, or cardio alone, or diet and cardio alone. In other words, it's better to do 30 min of cardio and 30 min of strength training than it is to do 60 min of cardio.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Well I am 95% sure that is not true. Have you seen biggest looser? They start them with weights asap. Also when you are in a gym and you see trainers, they are usually training with weights....
  • odm73
    odm73 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I am having enough trouble just staying motivated so I didn't want to make things even harder :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, you're all correct, it's not true, and as a matter of fact, even if it was true it wouldn't matter anyway, because muscle and fat are two completely different structures in the body, and when you burn fat, the fat doesn't really care where or how close it is to the muscle (with the exception of intramuscular fat, which is actually in with the muscle, but that's generally not a large amount of fat, and usually burns off as soon as you start working out as it's right up against the blood flow). And thinking about it, you would rather have muscle grow over fat if you could (you can't but...) because any time you increase blood flow through, near, or around fat, it increases the pathways in which the body can use fat and the fat is burned faster.
  • Itmomma
    Itmomma Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oops, guess I have been here longer than I thought! Also, I had a friend tell me that a "trainer" at a popular chain of gyms tell her the same thing as ODM73 was told, I told her to find another gym!