Pain in hip After 30mins of running

Options
I am overweight and have been running now since January and have noticed that my inner hip get really sore 30 mins into the run. *outer hip is completly fine* ((((( if I could pin point where it hurt it would have to be the pectineus muscle.))

I stretch for 3 mins before and after each session (and sometimes during.) I found that if I stretch during (particularly if I stretch by by pulling my leg back and up to stretch my quads) it goes away for about 10 mins then I have to do it again to make it go away.

The first couple months it would hurt so bad to wear it hurt to walk around , and do daily activities. However, since I have been running more and more (and loss 24lbs) *im on 4months now** its seems that it happens less and less *doesnt happen w/ every running session. and is not as intense of pain as it used to be. if @ all. However, it still does happen here and there.

Question:::: has this happened to you? If so, is this a pulled muscle and what stretch did you do to prevent it from happening?

Replies

• JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    I just answered my own question while writing the freggin question....

so instead of erasing it and leaving it unanswered>> here is the answer i got when i looked it up. Just incase this happened to anyone else...

What movements does the pectineus control?
    •Assists with twisting the thigh toward the body
    •Assists with moving the thigh forward
    Activities that cause pectineus muscle pain and symptoms:
    •Sitting with legs up and crossed for long periods of time (recliners, sleeping)
    •Slipping or a misstep
    •Power walking
    •Gymnastics
    •Horseback riding
    •Hip replacement surgery
    Interesting facts about the pectineus muscle:

The pectineus is often injured when a person starts a regimen of power walking. During power walking a person will often extend their stride, reaching farther than they would in normal stride. Over extension while walking or running injures the pectineus.

How Can Massage Therapy Relieve Pain and Symptoms Caused By The Pectineus?
    Pain from the pectineus muscle can be relieved with therapeutic massage by releasing trigger points in the muscle, softening techniques and stretching the muscle.
  • zebradane
    Options
    So then it's perfectly okay for this to happen? I noticed it happening to me when I tried to jog a bit... I was worried I wasn't jogging right and was in turn hurting my body by not stretching or warming up or whatever enough.
  • JulieDerda
    Options
    well I hope its normal>> IM no doctor but from what i seen on the internet (self diagnosing) it seem like a groin pull. and it does help whenever i stretch mid run and thats the thing that suppose to help make it feel better (per article) and since i have been running mor and doing more strengthing exercises for that muscle like leg lifts and more running, It seem to not be happenin that much or at all. only when i take a break from running it seems to happen. So pretty sureits a groin pull ..
  • JulieDerda
    Options
    also i looked up some more stretches on the internet that can help strech that muscle. ( i already do these but i guess not enough)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    You can use a foam roller for tight muscles. Helps a ton.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to over-stretch an injury. Hip pain can also be a good indicator that you have muscle imbalance. A good strength training routine or some regular yoga could help to prevent this. Hip problems are not uncommon among female runners. The problem is that it can quickly develop into knee or achilles/tendon issues later on.

Don't fall into the trap that a lot of runners do and assume that running is all the strength training your legs need. Not true! Look into some strength workouts for runners to help lessen your muscle imbalance.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    When I was super fat and sloppy and I started working out I would sprain my miniscus and my muscle in my back would hurt...here's what I did....put on my big boy pants, powered thru it and eventually it all went away.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I had this happen but it seemed to be an overuse injury. You may be increasing things a little too fast. I pinpointed mine as adductors so I took it easy for a bit and it's fine now, happened inner thight area on both sides, I could barely walk in the mornings and heels were excruciating. I pushed through entirely too long before I finally decided something wasn't right. Make sure you gte plenty of rest for those muscles to heal.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you get pain after 30 minutes, just run for 29? :wink:

Just kidding - great job on the exercise and I hope you can work around the injury soon.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    If you get pain after 30 minutes, just run for 29? :wink:

I was gonna post the same thing lol.
  • Jlburroughs
    Options
    Careful with hip pain. When I started running a few years ago my hip hurt and it ended up being a stress fracture! Funny this is, that it didn't always hurt when I ran.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can use a foam roller for tight muscles. Helps a ton.

This times 100. When you first start to use a foam roller, it is literally like torture. I thought that I was rolling on a bone, and that there was no way it could help. I believe I had a relatively mild case of hip bursitis, and it is completely under control by using the foam roller, and continuing to exercise. After using a foam roller for the last few months, I CRAVE it. Doing a roll right before bed is so relaxing. Just thinking about it now makes me want to give the old hamstrings a roll or two.
  • Suz_w8loss
    Suz_w8loss Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    OMG thank you for posting this. I am having the same problem. I get soreness on my left side in the pelvic region. I have searched the net and you tube & have been doing some flexor muscle stretches. I ran 3 days ago & the pain is now gone. I plan on trying to run again on Sunday. A friend also recommended the foam roller. I have seen them Amazon & may have to give it a try.