So confused about shakes!

Options
I noticed some of my MFP friends are using shakes of various types, and I've seen some recipes on the boards. But I'm very confused about them and I'm hoping someone can help. I've been a MFP member for a little while, and I consider myself a work in progress...I'm learning new things, changing things on a diet and nutrition level every day. I'm still weeding out junk food too. So...perhaps I need to figure out what exactly I am doing when it comes to diet and nutrition, but I'd just like some general advice if anyone has it to give and I'm having a hard time finding information that isn't attached to sales. And I value people who are actually walking that walk over people just talking about it.

I'm trying to eat more protein. A dietician once described my diet as "anti-protein". I like and enjoy meat, but I didn't like to buy it or cook it because of the time it took, and because meat counters weren't really a big thing in this area until the past few years. Now that we have lots of meat counters and I can buy single or 2 serving portions, it is easier for me to have meat at home, but I know I'm not getting the protein I need. My goals right now are simply to eat "good", in moderation, less sugar and get more protein than I used to.

On to my questions.... what are the pros/cons of shakes? What is some general information I should know? When it comes to shakes....do I use them as a meal replacement or should I use them as the base of my meal, and add something to make it a complete meal? Do you have anything you would recommend?

*my protein is still sitting at 73g/day, which is what mfp set it at. I seem to be meeting my protein goals...but I've had shakes the past few days, and I'm eating things like the Special K cereals and protein bars. Without those (and yes, I know they're really not that good for you) I wouldn't be getting the numbers that I am)*

Replies

• jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump. I've heard that whey protein is better than soy. Would love some input too.
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about shakes, so this is only my opinion on them. I think they are ok as an occasional meal replacement. You can always add ingredients to them to help get additional nutrients you need. For example, the one in particular I like, I will add a tablespoon of peanut butter to it. It gives it a little more flavor and some added protein.

My suggestion is read the lables on them and figure out what what will fir your nutritional needs the best.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I bought whey protein powder and I have a shake just about every day, always after I lift.

It's a quick and easy breakfast for me, so I love that. I think use them however best suits your needs and goals.
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    You can meet your protein requirements without shakes (I try to but if I am very short on protein I will have a shake). I am cheap so I just buy the whey protein from wal-mart (cookies and cream flavour) and mix it up with half a cup of skim milk and some blueberries. Best wishes on your journey:flowerforyou:
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use shakes for two reasons.

- I ALWAYS drink a protein shake after a weightlifting workout to aid in muscle recovery. I typically drink this with Powerade as it helps get the protein in my system rapidly. One scoop of protein, about 8 ounces of Powerade mixed in a shaker cup.

- The second reason is for meal replacement or if I'm protein deficient for the day. This shake is usually made with a scoop of protein, a banana, two tablespoons of peanut butter, and a cup of almond milk. Blend with ice. I typically drink this about an hour before bed.

If you workout (and you should), a protein shake is a must after a workout. Other times it is more for convenience. If I was going to be shy in one of my food macros (protein / fat / carbs), it would NOT be protein. EAT YOUR PROTEIN, and drink your water. :)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I use shakes as a meal replacement. We usually do some sort of green shake in the morning. As for protein, I prefer to avoid Whey, so I use a non-GMO soy powder that has no added sugar. Here is the link: http://www.wholenectar.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=1

An example for a shake, here is our shake from today:

Shake.jpg

I will also add Broccoli, Kale, Apples, Carrots and Chia seeds to my shakes. DW made the shakes this morning, so no chia... In any event, these shakes keep me full for hours
  • anorton45
    anorton45 Posts: 62
    Options
    There is a shake called Shakeology, which has a TON of nutrients and minerals and vitamins.

What’s in Shakeology

Protein and essential amino acids help build muscles and reduce food cravings.
    Prebiotics and digestive enzymes aid in improving digestion, regularity, and nutrient absorption.
    Antioxidants and phytonutrients help counteract free radical damage that can lead to degenerative diseases.
    A daily dose of vitamins and minerals provides your body what it needs to function for optimal health.

It's the healthiest meal of the day. If you would like more info on this message me.

I love these shakes, they are the best tasting ones I've ever tried.
  • nikki_att84
    nikki_att84 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    is the whey protein for muscles making?? i would want one for meal replacement any ideas?
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Some people use shakes as a meal replacement, like myself. Others use it to supplement their normal intake. Weight lifters drink protein shakes to help build muscles, and have them on top of a high protein diet. It's up to you what you want to do.
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    As you see, people used shake for a lot of reasons. Some can't meet protein needs naturally (WLS), some supplement their workout with a quick dose of high protein (hard workouts), some use enforced ones as meal replacements.

The trend through all of those is that the shake is replacing something. It's replacing a meal. It's replacing what has been burned. It is replacing foods you just can't eat. I don't believe in shakes, personally, unless there is a real protein deficiency potential or other issue where you can't meet needs naturally (After a workout milk has been shown just as effective as whey protein, but that can be really unappetizing or there is an intolerance).

A problem that I see with a lot of diaries on here is people adding these shakes on top of their normal food (Still eating all meals, not doing hard workouts, JUST coming short of protein otherwise). All this does is add extra calories that you may not necessarily need. Also, each whey mix is different. Some are just whey but many have a ton of additives you may not be looking for.

So basically, if you don't feel particularly strongly that you need these shakes, you're not missing out. I would avoid them.
  • jennifeffer
    jennifeffer Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I wll say they've helped me so much with breakfast. I can't stomach much in the mornings and always skipped breakfast. Now my blender is on before my eyes are open...........will never miss breakfast again......
  • kprine1
    kprine1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I use Shakeology, as both a meal replacement (where I add fruit and peanut butter) and as an after workout recovery (with just water)!! It is the best tasting shake I have ever tried and I LOVE IT!! You can get cheaper but I can't stomach those! Good luck!!
  • HIITTheChallenge
    HIITTheChallenge Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a blog post I wrote about meal replacements. I use one after my work outs and then another as a snack or sometimes for breakfast or lunch depending how busy I am, but no more than two a day. Not all shakes are made the same the they are designed to help you burn fat and build lean muscle. I did a lot of research on them and recently switched to what I am using now and the article I wrote explains how your body can use and benefit from them and how to find a good one.
    I hope it helps http://hiitthechallengewithjennifer.blogspot.com/2012/03/find-out-if-your-body-is-using-protein.html
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I wll say they've helped me so much with breakfast. I can't stomach much in the mornings and always skipped breakfast. Now my blender is on before my eyes are open...........will never miss breakfast again......

I agree! I have a smoothie every morning with a scoop of protein, and I looooove it. Before I was force feeding myself cereal before work so I had SOMETHING in be and wouldn't be starving an hour in, but now I just have a smoothie and I'm full for way longer and it's a lot more appetizing than anything else that early. I also do a scoop with coconut milk in a shaker cup post workouts.
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    There is a shake called Shakeology, which has a TON of nutrients and minerals and vitamins.

What’s in Shakeology

Protein and essential amino acids help build muscles and reduce food cravings.
    Prebiotics and digestive enzymes aid in improving digestion, regularity, and nutrient absorption.
    Antioxidants and phytonutrients help counteract free radical damage that can lead to degenerative diseases.
    A daily dose of vitamins and minerals provides your body what it needs to function for optimal health.

It's the healthiest meal of the day. If you would like more info on this message me.

I love these shakes, they are the best tasting ones I've ever tried.

TO BAD ITS WAY OVERPRICED
  • nkeller08
    nkeller08 Posts: 21
    Options
    If you are working out hard and lifting weights you should use a protein shake it helps to rebuild and repair muscles.
    I personally have tried two different shakes and LOVED them both! The first one I fell in love with is Muscle Milk, (this one tastes really good) you can find it at Costco for about $40 for a little over a months supply. The other is Shakeology, this one you have to purchase through beachbody.com (it is a little pricy) I don’t do the home direct shipping so it costs me about $140 for a 30 day supply. If you do choose the home direct you can save about $10 but the automatically ship it to you each month. Shakeology can be used as a meal replacement shake, it repairs your muscles after a workout, it gives you a ton of good energy, and makes you feel amazing!! It isn’t the best tasting if you just mix it with water and ice but they send you a ton of great recipes with it. I love it!!
  • anorton45
    anorton45 Posts: 62
    Options
    Shakeology is pricey, but the health benefits from the nutrition it provides is priceless. I personally believe that my health is worth it.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a shake every morning for breakfast as I have no time to eat. I use almond milk, Greek yogurt and a little dash of sugar free Jello mix for flavor and to have more variety. Full of protein, and I try to get a lot of protein in the mornings so that I'm not starving in an hour.
  • lorraine311
    lorraine311 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I drink the Body by Vi shakes. I am a Promoter BUT started as a Customer and got great results!!! I continue to drink a Shake every day to maintain and for all the great nutrition!!!:) I talk about these Shakes with everyone I know. They are wonderful!