Gain/Lost Same 4 Pounds

Options
For the past two years, I have gained and lost the same 3-4 pounds from week to week while on Weight Watchers. I recently stopped following Weight Watchers (which only allowed about 1000 calories a day), and joined MFP where I am now eating 1200 - 1300 calories a day. I feel better, but I am still teeter-totering between the same 3-4 pounds. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience like this, and what they did to break out of their rut. Even though I stick to the plan, my body wants to hold on to all my 172 pounds! I don't have any medical issues (like thyroid) that could be the problem. I would just like to know if you upped your calories, exercise, etc -- maybe I could get this weight loss thing figured out!

:sad:

Replies

• lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That was exactly where I was at the end of last year. Then I reduced the amount of carbs I was eating significantly and I dropped 10 pounds in two weeks! My body just responds better to a low carb diet.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you might need to up your calories? It is a hard concept to accept --that eating more will make you lose more, but there's this number called your BMR -- Basal Metabolic Rate -- and it's how many calories your body burns when you just sit and breathe -- so you should be eating AT LEAST this amount.

The other number people often reference is your TDEE -- Total Daily Energy Expenditure -- which is essentially how many calories you can eat if you wanted to maintain your current weight.

When setting your calorie goal, they say to set your intake to be a deficit of 250-500 calories, for a pound to a pound and a half of weight loss each week. You should take this deficit from your TDEE -- and it should be higher than your BMR.

My advice would be to gradually adjust your calorie intake (maybe 30-50 calories at a time) to let your body adjust. You may initially see a gain, but it will even out eventually.

You can actually eat more than you think -- my BMR is 1580, so my limit is 1650 a day. I explain it more, and give two websites for how to figure out your BMR and TDEE in a blogpost I wrote: http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-weight-loss-technique.html
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you might need to up your calories? It is a hard concept to accept --that eating more will make you lose more, but there's this number called your BMR -- Basal Metabolic Rate -- and it's how many calories your body burns when you just sit and breathe -- so you should be eating AT LEAST this amount.

The other number people often reference is your TDEE -- Total Daily Energy Expenditure -- which is essentially how many calories you can eat if you wanted to maintain your current weight.

When setting your calorie goal, they say to set your intake to be a deficit of 250-500 calories, for a pound to a pound and a half of weight loss each week. You should take this deficit from your TDEE -- and it should be higher than your BMR.

My advice would be to gradually adjust your calorie intake (maybe 30-50 calories at a time) to let your body adjust. You may initially see a gain, but it will even out eventually.

You can actually eat more than you think -- my BMR is 1580, so my limit is 1650 a day. I explain it more, and give two websites for how to figure out your BMR and TDEE in a blogpost I wrote: http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-weight-loss-technique.html

I have done a lot of reading on MFP about BMR, TDEE, etc. It is so strange to read about this crazy "eat more to lose" idea! Believe me, after 2-3 years of sitting at the same weight, I'm not afraid to try eating MORE! :bigsmile: I will take a look at your blog -- and thank you for the advice!
  • AutumnBreeze07
    Options
    That was exactly where I was at the end of last year. Then I reduced the amount of carbs I was eating significantly and I dropped 10 pounds in two weeks! My body just responds better to a low carb diet.

Definatley a 'vice' for me. I don't have a sweet tooth, but do love my carbs! I have to try harder to eat larger portions of vegetables with my meals!
  • AutumnBreeze07
    Options
    Bumping to see if anyone else can provide some more advice. Thank you!

:drinker:
  • momof2winsplus
    momof2winsplus Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Check out this thread, it might give you some insight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/544468-calculator-for-tdee-using-ree
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have been going through that for the past year. Just recently, I finally broke free from that. I find that the more natural foods I eat, the weight starts to come off. When I get lazy and eat tv dinners or processed foods or a lot of junk, the weight doesn't go anywhere. I have upped my intake of veggies and fruits and also try to make sure everything is accurate when it comes to portions. Plus, I try to keep an eye on my sodium levels because my body retains water so quickly. That is why I stay away from most soups. Eating healthier also give me more energy to help fuel my workouts.

My advice, try eating more natural foods instead of the cookies and other processed foods that you seem to eat on a regular basis.
  • AutumnBreeze07
    Options
    Check out this thread, it might give you some insight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/544468-calculator-for-tdee-using-ree

Thank you!
  • AutumnBreeze07
    Options
    I have been going through that for the past year. Just recently, I finally broke free from that. I find that the more natural foods I eat, the weight starts to come off. When I get lazy and eat tv dinners or processed foods or a lot of junk, the weight doesn't go anywhere. I have upped my intake of veggies and fruits and also try to make sure everything is accurate when it comes to portions. Plus, I try to keep an eye on my sodium levels because my body retains water so quickly. That is why I stay away from most soups. Eating healthier also give me more energy to help fuel my workouts.

My advice, try eating more natural foods instead of the cookies and other processed foods that you seem to eat on a regular basis.

Thank you for your advice!
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options

My advice would be to gradually adjust your calorie intake (maybe 30-50 calories at a time) to let your body adjust. You may

initially see a gain, but it will even out eventually.

^^^ This ^^^
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise regimen like?

I used to have the same problem and tried every diet in the book. The one that worked for me was high protein low carb eat every 3 hours and I averaged about 1500-1600cals/ day. With interval and a bunch of body resistance exercise about 30lb melted off of me.

Obviously different strokes for different folks but that's my deal!

I'm actually doing the same thing now...the 5lb fluctuation, but that's because of the occasional weekend drinking and semi-frequent cheats (my willpower sucks!) Gotta get back in the game though...need to drop 20ish by MDW!!

Good luck!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I would maybe try playing with your macro ratios? Someone mentioned low-carb and that works for a lot of people, but I think everyone has their own macro ratio that works best for them. I took a peek at your diary. You might have to knock back your sweets. Also, do you do any strength training?
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of things that can help, try it and see if it works.

1. When going out to eat, always estimate about 10-20% higher on your cals...for example, if you go to a mexican restaurant there's salsa, sour cream, etc. that you may have forgotten about. You can do a Quick Add in your diary and just add 100 extra calories for example.

2. Substitute healthy choices for processed foods. For example, instead of a hamburger and fries try grilled chicken and broccoli. Anything like fries, chips, soda, etc. are just killer.

3. Amp up your exercise. If you're not running, try C25K. Or try Jillian's 30 Day Shred...almost guaranteed to see results! I do both -- running primarily -- but don't have a problem maintaining my weight. 5 miles burns 500 calories!!!
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider increasing your exercise. An easy way to start would be to pick up the walking pace a little, up the time you spend dancing, or consider trying a new activity all together (something your body is not used to - it might "shock" it a little and give you a boost). Good luck!
  • AutumnBreeze07
    Options
    I would maybe try playing with your macro ratios? Someone mentioned low-carb and that works for a lot of people, but I think everyone has their own macro ratio that works best for them. I took a peek at your diary. You might have to knock back your sweets. Also, do you do any strength training?

No strength training yet. I just started some cardio (Wii zumba and Just Dance) 3 days a week, for 30 minutes. I plan to increase my cardio this month, and I will try to add some strength training to the routine!
  • Peachfuz31
    Options
    I'm new here, so I can't really offer much advice yet, but...
    I peeked at your food diary. Totino's pizza rolls? McDonalds? Cookies?
    I think that might be your problem right there.
    I eliminated those things from my diet completely. There are healthy snacks available.