support with giving up smoking & weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My quit day is this Sunday. I am ready with the gum. I have done this so many times before. I am scared. But I know it is going to help me along this journey so much to quit. If i gain a few lbs. so be it. I read something a while back that keeps coming back to me....you can lose the weight you gain from quitting, but you can't lose lung cancer. I am looking forward to being able to breathe better and step up my activity level. Good luck and know we are all here with you! WE CAN DO THIS!
    Thanks, i will have to keep reading that quote
  • elijahgo1
    elijahgo1 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hello,

I think it is. I gave up smoking the day I found out I was going to be a father: October 30, 2010. I did gain a lot of weight; however, a little over a year later, I'm back in track to getting in shape. I don't think I could have done it without MyFitnessPal. I've lost 10 lbs, and last night, for the first time in years, I ran over 3.5 miles (outside).

The first time I quite smoking, exercise was the key. The moment I stopped exercising, I started smoking again. This time, I seperated the two items so one would not be dependant on the other.

Good luck with doing both! It is possible.
  • harksy
    Options
    I had lost 12 pounds (of my 114 pound goal) and then I got the bright idea to quit smoking cold turkey... that minute.

Starting day three smokeless today. I'm avoiding making eye contact with my scale until monday, but with my improved lung function and energy levels I should be able to work off a few "quitting pounds". Good luck with both of your goals!

Good luck to you as well Thanks
  • harksy
    Options
    I quit smoking the day I decided to lose weight, and although it is hard ( I used to smoke 20 a day easily), in a way I think it is easier because you are watching what you eat so you don't gain weight. I just keep thinking - I am on my way to be healthy!
    fantastic just what i need to hear
  • harksy
    Options
    Hello,

I think it is. I gave up smoking the day I found out I was going to be a father: October 30, 2010. I did gain a lot of weight; however, a little over a year later, I'm back in track to getting in shape. I don't think I could have done it without MyFitnessPal. I've lost 10 lbs, and last night, for the first time in years, I ran over 3.5 miles (outside).

The first time I quite smoking, exercise was the key. The moment I stopped exercising, I started smoking again. This time, I seperated the two items so one would not be dependant on the other.

Good luck with doing both! It is possible.

Thank you, will keep that in mind still at the walk run stage but hopefully giving up the cigs will help with that
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • Ohsilentheart
    Ohsilentheart Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I recently quit smoking (5 cigarettes in two weeks!), so yes, it's totally possible!
  • Cathy7794
    Cathy7794 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My last cigarette was February 21st. I smoked a pack or more a day for the past 24 years. Three weeks ago I started my weight loss and working out. If you can get Chantix, DO IT! I've tried everything under the sun to quit smoking. Nothing ever worked; I was constantly craving a cigarette. Chantix has been a miracle drug for me. I've had none of the nasty side effects and haven't had the least bit of a craving for a smoke. I can't even stand the smell of it anymore. Oh, and I've lost a total of 8 pounds since. :smile:

Best of luck to you, and to anyone else trying to quit. Quitting is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. But I've finally done it!
  • PeggyWoodson
    PeggyWoodson Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Well, I just quit smoking in January. I finally got it through my thick head that it just wasn't good for me. I had started dieting January 5th and by January 20th it occurred to me that loosing weight was so good for my health why was I still smoking which was so bad for my health. So I just put them down. I kept the pack but have not lit another since January 20th. My lungs feel better. I'm having trouble loosing weight but have an appointment with the doctor this morning to find out what is wrong. I'm having lots and lots of swelling in my ankles and that tells me something is definitely wrong. I think once I find out what is wrong, I should be able to loose the weight. I definitely think both are doable. I hate predicting the future but I don't think I'll ever go back to smoking again even though I still want one occasionally. When those time come around that I want one, I remind myself that I made a conscious and educated decision to stop. Then I busy myself with other things. It can be done. You can do it.
    Best of luck. Can you tell me about the weight equivalent of a stone? I've seen others use that term and I'm unfamiliar with it.
    Thanks. Good luck.
    I did a google search 1 stone equals 14 pounds
    Now why didn't I think of that. Thanks. I sure wish I could loose a stone.
  • joytron
    joytron Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 6 months ago and gained maybe 4 pounds. I'm short so that's more than it would be on a taller person, but still, minimal.

Just wanted to say that quitting smoking is the best thing I have ever done for myself, and 6 months later I'm still proud. I used Allen Carr's method, and I can't recommend it enough. I doubt you will believe this (I openly and rather cruelly mocked my friends who told me this before I quit), but this method makes it FUN to quit. I was actually EXCITED as my quit day approached, as opposed to anxious or negative, as I had been on previous (failed) attempts. Gah, whatever, I sound like an ad. You can pick the book up cheap on Amazon I think, and it's called "Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking".