Hit a wall running!

Options
2»

Replies

• InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You might consider some more cross training. You mentioned swimming but maybe try cycling/spinning? I know it's been really helping my half marathon training! :) Intervals (sprinting, hill repeats etc.) can be good too. Your body can get bored (and actually lazy!) with the same type of run over and over again. Maybe you just need to switch it up a bit! :smile:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi. I run 3/4 times per week between 2-4 miles each time. In the last 3 weeks I have hit a wall and find it very difficult to run without feeling exhausted almost immediately. I am fine if running with others and I really enjoy it but there has been no one to run with lately and in the past running solo with my music has been fine. ANy tips to restore my leap and bound in my run please?

THanks in advance :-)

You are stale, you need to change your training.

Try interval training for a while, change it everytime you go running.

You could do something along the lines of:

4 x 1000m faster than normal pace with a two minute walk inbetween reps, make sure you warm up beforehand and warm down afterwards.

5 x 800m faster than normal pace with a two minute walk inbetween reps.

That sort of thing. Do that for a few training sessions and you will more than likely find you are back to normal when it comes to longer runs before you know it x
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My problem is the opposite. I can run solo all day...but get me with another person or with a group, and I have to stop within the first mile. It's definitely a psychological thing....so I would just keep pushing yourself.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My problem is the opposite. I can run solo all day...but get me with another person or with a group, and I have to stop within the first mile. It's definitely a psychological thing....so I would just keep pushing yourself.

I have to admit, I am best when I train alone too. Mind you, I am best when I do most things solo, bit of a loner really I am LOL
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. May try the interval training :-)!
  • elijahgo1
    elijahgo1 Posts: 17
    Options
    This happened to me a few years ago when I was training for a triathlon (when I was in shape for that kind of thing). I simply stopped running for a week.

The week break gave me rest. I was able to run further and faster than I had before. Also, you may need to "change up" your running schedule, Instead of running the same every time. Search "couch to 5k" and usually you can find pretty good (free) running programs.

You will be suprised how a week off, alternating short, medium, and long runs will help. It sounds like you have got to the point where you are becoming a "runner" so start focusing on training and technique.

Hope that helps.

Elijah
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a few years ago when I was training for a triathlon (when I was in shape for that kind of thing). I simply stopped running for a week.

The week break gave me rest. I was able to run further and faster than I had before. Also, you may need to "change up" your running schedule, Instead of running the same every time. Search "couch to 5k" and usually you can find pretty good (free) running programs.

You will be suprised how a week off, alternating short, medium, and long runs will help. It sounds like you have got to the point where you are becoming a "runner" so start focusing on training and technique.

Hope that helps.

Elijah

Thank you. You reckon if I have a week off the running then start mixing it up a bit then that may help? I love my running and when not doing it am thinking of my next run/route. What do you mean by becoming a "runner" ? I am addicted to it and it is the only thing I have stuck at religously, helping with fitness, size and moods so I would hate to get to the point where I felt I wanted to give it up.