Read any good books lately

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
I haven't read anything in a while, and I start back to school in October so I'd like to get a few books in for fun before I am stuck reading textbooks. Can anyone reccomend anything?

I like mostly Stephen King and Dean Koontz, but I am willing to branch out. I'm intrigued by the Twilight books, does anyone know what the first one is called?

Replies

• freezeframe
    Options
    The first one is called Twilight, and the second one is New Moon
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    i just read BLOOD BROTHER by Jack Kerley, a little gruesome, but i loved it!

i read CHASE by Dean Koontz before that, a short read, but found it really interesting

i have read TWILIGHT and NEW MOON, loved them! want to get started on the next one soon :laugh:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I read all the time. I get bored with most exercise quickly, but have found that I do not get bored if I use and exercise bike and read while I do it. I shoot for an hour and can easily burn 500 calories in that hour.

I tend to get stuck on one author at a time. Right now I am reading Brad Thor's novels..they are like Vince Flynn books. I also like David Baldacci and Michael Crichton. This summer I also read Cassandr Clares trilogy...City of Bones, City of Ashes, and City of Glass. Also love to reread the Harry Potter series and Narnia chronicles.

Happy reading!:drinker:
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker:

You can't go wrong with 'The Stand'

If you prefer Romance, try 'Bag Of Bones' or 'Lisey's Story' :glasses:
  • JessicaMaeHoskins
    Options
    Right now I'm reading the stephanie plum series by Janet Evanovich, and it is Hilarious! (it needed a capital it was so hilarious). Plus there are 15 books in the series so you'll be good for a while. She is a character I think all women can relate to.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

The Stand always intimidated me because of the length, and I LOVE to read, but it's soooo long.

I did love Bag of Bones, my grandma got me that years ago when I was laid up after a surgery, I had it done in a couple of days. I have Lisey's story, but I'm having troubles getting into it. It seems the beginning drags on with her in the attic looking over old stuff.....does it pick up after that more?
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Right now I'm reading the stephanie plum series by Janet Evanovich, and it is Hilarious! (it needed a capital it was so hilarious). Plus there are 15 books in the series so you'll be good for a while. She is a character I think all women can relate to.

I did hear good things about Janet Evanovich....maybe I'll give her a shot, thanks!
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    The first one is called Twilight, and the second one is New Moon

Thanks, I wasn't even sure how many of them there were. I'll check them out!
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options
    I suggest not reading Twilight while you're in school. I failed a test because I couldn't put the damn book down to study.
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options
    oh, but anyways. I'm currently reading 'Good In Bed', I also love the 'Confessions of a Shopaholic' books.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    I suggest not reading Twilight while you're in school. I failed a test because I couldn't put the damn book down to study.

Haha, been there. I blame my bad Gmat's score on the fact that I was renting the Sex and the City DVD's from netflix while I was supposed to be studying.
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options

Haha, been there. I blame my bad Gmat's score on the fact that I was renting the Sex and the City DVD's from netflix while I was supposed to be studying.

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, I blame the TV Show Friends for my house never being clean. I'll pop in a DVD and never leave the couch.
  • rubberjonnie
    rubberjonnie Posts: 4,171
    Options
    Just read Magicians Apprentice by Trudi Canavan. It is teen fiction but it written soooo much better...

Eddings is also awsome and the Eragon and Eldest books...
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anything in a while, and I start back to school in October so I'd like to get a few books in for fun before I am stuck reading textbooks. Can anyone reccomend anything?

I like mostly Stephen King and Dean Koontz, but I am willing to branch out. I'm intrigued by the Twilight books, does anyone know what the first one is called?

I am a Dean Koontz fan too although most of his recent books have left a lot to be desired. However, have you read the Frankenstein books he wrote? They are really good. A movie was actually made based on the first book but it sucked. In fact, Dean Koontz pulled out of the movie because he didn't like the direction it was taking.

The Twilight books are good. So is the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlene Harris (I may have spelt her name wrong).

Have you read Anne Rice before? I am currently re-reading the Vampire Chronicles. They are fantastic. Much more adult than Twilight.

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

The Stand always intimidated me because of the length, and I LOVE to read, but it's soooo long.

I did love Bag of Bones, my grandma got me that years ago when I was laid up after a surgery, I had it done in a couple of days. I have Lisey's story, but I'm having troubles getting into it. It seems the beginning drags on with her in the attic looking over old stuff.....does it pick up after that more?

Nope. At least not in my opinon. Lisey's story was sweet but very long and drawn out.

The Stand is actually really good even with it being crazy long.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    Just read Magicians Apprentice by Trudi Canavan. It is teen fiction but it written soooo much better...

Eddings is also awsome and the Eragon and Eldest books...

I'm "patiently" waiting for Brisinger to come out in paper back... :grumble:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I've read all 4 Twilight books - if you find the first of Twilight boring - don't give up - they get better and better thru each book...I am dying for a 5th.....
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

I am a Dean Koontz fan too although most of his recent books have left a lot to be desired. However, have you read the Frankenstein books he wrote? They are really good. A movie was actually made based on the first book but it sucked. In fact, Dean Koontz pulled out of the movie because he didn't like the direction it was taking.

The Twilight books are good. So is the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlene Harris (I may have spelt her name wrong).

Have you read Anne Rice before? I am currently re-reading the Vampire Chronicles. They are fantastic. Much more adult than Twilight.

I have a love/hate relationship with Dean Koontz books. In his earlier books I think he had trouble with character developement. His leading men were always "not handsome men, but not plain...they were very ordinary". He also likes to re-use names which can get confusing, and many of his earlier books had the one name titles that I'd always get confused with each other.

I love the Odd Thomas series, I can't wait for the next one to come out. I want to try the Frankenstein ones but they are all checked out at my library. The Husband was good, the good guy was good, but I was a little dissapointed with Your Heart Belongs to me....those are most of the recent ones i've read.

I don't think I've seen a single movie from his books that are good. Which is sad because several of Stephen Kings books adapt well to the screen (maybe it's just the awesome directors, Frank Darabont and Rob Reiner).

The Sookie Stackhouse books are, I'm assuming, the book of the HBO series True Blood right? I thought about reading those, but some people at work read them and they sometimes get them confused with the TV show.....or is that the Dexter books?
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah, I blame the TV Show Friends for my house never being clean. I'll pop in a DVD and never leave the couch.

I love Friends! I have all 10 seasons (wish I would have just bought the entire series at once instead of season by season). About a year ago my boyfriend and I watched them all from start to finish, watching a few each day. We also catch them on Tv, there are usually a few episodes on each night.
  • tubbytabbytales
    Options

I love Friends! I have all 10 seasons (wish I would have just bought the entire series at once instead of season by season). About a year ago my boyfriend and I watched them all from start to finish, watching a few each day. We also catch them on Tv, there are usually a few episodes on each night.

I love it too!! I own all 10 also, I'm glad I bought them separately though, I would have been way to impatient to wait for all 10 to be sold as one. :laugh: