Scale Worshipers

Options
13»

Replies

• Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I wrote a blog about this topic this past week - I too 'live and die' by the scale, but I KNEW something had to be done when I got on it the other night and I was 5 lbs heavier than I thought I should be, so ... I killed it. Literally. I jumped up and down on it and it died. Dead and deceased. I was so proud for beating up on a bathroom scale. I'm such a bully.

AND I KNOW BETTER THAN TO LET A PIECE OF METAL DETERMINE MY SELF WORTH!!!! :grumble:

But aha! A new plan! I have arranged with my next door neighbour to visit Genghis, my NEW bathroom scale - once a week. She came over and kidnapped Genghis yesterday while I was at work and is holding him hostage.

So - just a thought - maybe a kind hearted neighbour would do the same for you?!

Good luck and remember (and I will too) that our self worth is only determined by how we feel...don't let a hunk of metal ruin your day!
  • booboorocksout
    Options
    People often say things like: just put the scale away.
    Don't worry about the numbers!

But when you started as obese and are overweight the numbers DO matter... and they can only stop mattering when you've hit that blessed 'healthy' number... then it's easier to put it away (but not permanently. I think those of us who hit obese will always be concerned about gaining it back).

I totally get this. I was a worshiped the scale for a long time. Then I lived without one for over a year. That was great! I was active and losing weight. But when I met my bf we got comfy and here I am. Now I limit myself to once a week. It helps that we don't actually have a bathroom scale, I use my wii fit board. It requires more setup so I only use it once a week.
  • mykahlio1
    mykahlio1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i am also a scale worshipper , i weigh myself 2 or 3 times a day but i only count the first one of the day right before i eat or shower as the correct weight . i hate that i worship the scale because if the number isnt steadily going down at a rate i like i get really cranky and nasty and i get in this bad funk thats hard to get out of .
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i love mine. i weigh myself every time i go in the bathroom. i dont think about it except when i'm there and i dont make special trips to visit it. i dont freak out at normal fluctuations. last time my scale broke and i didnt replace it i gained back 35lb in 4 months :ohwell: since i bought a new one i'm down 26lb. slowly, but if i see me gain 1lb one week it reels me back in. there are downsides, when i see a few lbs drop between official weigh ins my brain says 'yipee, i can have something naughty!' :embarassed: which needs work. overall i am better off weighing daily.
  • Neiges
    Neiges Posts: 6
    Options
    The scale is my best friend and my worst enemy. I try not to overdo it and only limit myself to the weekly weigh-in, but it's a tough fight.
  • Xabsentimentalx
    Xabsentimentalx Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh myself at least 2 times a week... it makes me more motivated to lose weight because makes me really look at how i am.
  • Xabsentimentalx
    Xabsentimentalx Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i love mine. i weigh myself every time i go in the bathroom. i dont think about it except when i'm there and i dont make special trips to visit it. i dont freak out at normal fluctuations. last time my scale broke and i didnt replace it i gained back 35lb in 4 months :ohwell: since i bought a new one i'm down 26lb. slowly, but if i see me gain 1lb one week it reels me back in. there are downsides, when i see a few lbs drop between official weigh ins my brain says 'yipee, i can have something naughty!' :embarassed: which needs work. overall i am better off weighing daily.
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    okay I weighed myself today, not my weigh in day, went a quick #1 (sorry people) and weighed myself again, and I weighed 1.5 pounds less! Now it was a real quick deal, I don't get it!! I haven't had much luck with my scale as it is, but now its playing games!
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It's great to know I'm not alone in my sick obsession with my scale. I am working very hard to just weigh in once a week. I don't think I can actually give it up totally. Its been such a part of my life for so long. Thanks for helping me realize I'm not alone!
  • 2manyshoes
    2manyshoes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I step on my scale every morning before I get in the shower. At one point I did get on it several times a day, but now I weigh once, log it and start my day. It's kind of my rope in the dark so to speak. It keeps me on track. I have 3 ways I measure my success. (1) the daily weigh in (2) I measure myself evertime I lose 5 lbs. (3) I take a picture everytime I lose 10 lbs. This keeps me focused on small goals and lets me see my progress not only on paper but in photos as well. So far I've lost 17 in. & 46 lbs. Perhaps I will toss my scale one day, but right now it keeps me on the weight loss straight & narrow.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Uhm, I like to weight myself every day so I can track my progress.

But I no means "worship" it or let a gain or loss dictate how I feel about myself and ruin my day, especially since there are so many things beyond your control that could make small changes to your weight.

That mentality cannot be healthy. :sad:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I too was a scale worshipper. I stepped on the scale multiple times a day, and I was getting to the point that it was starting to define who I was. If I wasn't happy with the number, I wasn't happy with myself. So, I took a big step over a month ago, and put the scale away for Lent - it is the best thing I could have done. I still have been faithful with my eating and exercising, and I won't be stepping back on the scale until April 8. Actually, my scale isn't even in my house - it keeps the temptation down that way. Now, I haave had to step on the scale once since putting it away for my son at the dr's. So, I know I have made progress. Just remember, you AREN'T defined by the number. I know it is hard, but be proud of your accomplishment - not the number on the scale.
  • TiffanyAching
    TiffanyAching Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    did you mean to say something about my post Xabsentimentalx or did you quote me by accident?
  • christineandgeno
    Options
    And I thought I was the only compulsive weigher. I own three scales. I have a digital one in my bedroom. A doctor's type scale and a digital in my bathroom. I literally weigh myself 10+ times a day. I dont know why but I;ve always done this. Since before I can remember. I was thin and weighing myself all the time. With my clothes, with my clothes off etc. It's weird but when I was thinner I never really cared about what I weighed as long as my clothes fit. It was just interesting to me to see how much you gain after drinking water or eating. Now its a habit that I would love to break but feel like I will fail to do. If they made a scale that could fit in your purse and fold out, I would own one. I even take my scale with me on vacation.
  • christineandgeno
    Options
    "The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman." - Lysa TerKeurst, Made to Crave.

Thanks so much for sharing this!

I totally agree I should probably start doing this instead of being a compulsive weigher.
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    People often say things like: just put the scale away.
    Don't worry about the numbers!

But when you started as obese and are overweight the numbers DO matter... and they can only stop mattering when you've hit that blessed 'healthy' number... then it's easier to put it away (but not permanently. I think those of us who hit obese will always be concerned about gaining it back).

^^^This!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Behaviors can be changed. People are overweight because of behavior. Scale worshiping is a behavior. Change the behavior by first by taking out the batteries and throwing them away. You can leave the scale there and then when you step on on it an see nothing and continue (don't buy batteries), you'll slowly start getting over having to see the number on a daily basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal & Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition