HELP!!!

Options
I am 25 years old and trying to lose my "baby weight". When I first started I lost 7lbs immediately... Now I have regained that weight even though I am walking/ jogging everyday for at least 30 minutes. I am eating my 1200 calories a day and no more. I really need some advice.

Thank You!

Replies

• SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    You probably need to eat more than 1200 calories a day. What are your stats? Height? Weight?

Check out this thread. Excellent information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539980-people-who-have-had-success-by-upping-their-calories
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It might be what you're eating. Can we look at your diary?
  • MojitoNatural
    Options
    I'm new here, how do I let you look at the diary? and my stats are: 5 ft 1.5 inches 144 (analog scale).
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    go to diary settings and set it up on public
  • chamcmillan
    chamcmillan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose my baby weight also. When I first started the weight fell off. I am also breast feeding so that helps but I am struggling to lose these last few pounds. I have to take in a certain amount of calories though because I am breastfeeding.
  • jreimund
    jreimund Posts: 64
    Options
    cut them cals in half

^^^do not do that!!! anything under 1200 IS NOT SAFE. I hope you're not serious???
  • MojitoNatural
    Options
    That's true when I was breastfeeding my weight came off, but i had some complications etc...so I'm no longer breastfeeding. I also had a C section and I heard its harder losing the tummy weight after the surgery...
  • MojitoNatural
    Options
    That's not an option lol... I can barely fit enough food in with 1200 calories!!! lol...
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You should have a BMR around 1453 with the stats you provided. That means your body needs 1453 calories each day just for your organs to function. Your TDEE is how many calories you use doing everything else in your day. Assuming 'light exercise', your TDEE is 1987 calories per day. You NEED to eat more than 1200 if you're going to see weight loss.

And ignore the person who said to cut the calories in half. According to her diary, she exists on beer, mentos, and fritos (but not all in the same day).
  • MojitoNatural
    Options
    Thank You guys soooo much!!!!! I have been feeling like 1200 calories is just not enough!!! I will definitely up my caloric intake because I am barely getting by lol... and with an active 8 month old i need all the energy I can get... I will be putting my caloric goal as 1900 right now. That makes me feel so much better...
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    cut them cals in half

^^^do not do that!!! anything under 1200 IS NOT SAFE. I hope you're not serious???

It looks like she is! Ack!! Daily goal is 500 calories a day??? You will kill yourself!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more! New baby means doing a lot of things you're not accustomed to doing!

Drink plenty of water! Staying well hydrated is very important in a weight loss program.

Don't stress it! Stress causes weight gains! No worries, you can do it!

The only reason losing weight is more difficult after a c-section is because it's painful to exercise the belly! All that scar tissue can be rough. I've had 2 abdominal surgeries. My belly will never be perfectly flat, and I have a rail-road track going down from my belly button on half my belly. Yuck! But I have no worries. The scars make us all unique! Right? You can lose the fat there, I have! It wasn't perfectly flat, but it was nearly so!
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I eat 300-500 under my TDEE to lose a lb a week..just sayin.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Two things, i bet you have your goal set fairly aggressive. With being 144 (not far from normal/good range) you need to be at 1/2 lb per week. And a newbourne/child means you are active, so you are lightly active. If you don't exercsie, then you should be around 1600 calories a day. If you exercise it will be more. Below is what a person can aim for based on weight loss projections.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Losing weight doesn't mean you will lose the baby fat though. What you really should be doing is looking to cut body fat. That is how you get that body/stomach tight and flat. This requires Strength Training. So get some weights and lift heavy! Like that you will fail between 8-12 reps.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx

This method produces the response I received a week ago from a 36 year old woman doing only ST and eating 2100 calories.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"
  • psuLemon
    Options
    cut them cals in half

And with this attitude, you will never get that body you want, you will destroy your metabolic and muscle and you really need to look to get some professional help.
  • MojitoNatural
    Options
    Two things, i bet you have your goal set fairly aggressive. With being 144 (not far from normal/good range) you need to be at 1/2 lb per week. And a newbourne/child means you are active, so you are lightly active. If you don't exercsie, then you should be around 1600 calories a day. If you exercise it will be more. Below is what a person can aim for based on weight loss projections.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Losing weight doesn't mean you will lose the baby fat though. What you really should be doing is looking to cut body fat. That is how you get that body/stomach tight and flat. This requires Strength Training. So get some weights and lift heavy! Like that you will fail between 8-12 reps.

http://www.metaboliceffect.com/topic/38-nutrition-lifestyle.aspx

This method produces the response I received a week ago from a 36 year old woman doing only ST and eating 2100 calories.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"

I honestly just need to lost about 20lbs at most and my stomach is my main issue... I will have to get me some weights to use at home as well... I like my size just not my stomach...Lol. Thanks for all of the reassurance I really was at wits end!
  • snowangl317
    snowangl317 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You should have a BMR around 1453 with the stats you provided. That means your body needs 1453 calories each day just for your organs to function. Your TDEE is how many calories you use doing everything else in your day. Assuming 'light exercise', your TDEE is 1987 calories per day. You NEED to eat more than 1200 if you're going to see weight loss.

And ignore the person who said to cut the calories in half. According to her diary, she exists on beer, mentos, and fritos (but not all in the same day).

Definitiely do not cut your calories in half!!!

However, I don't believe that you need to eat more than 1200 calories if you want to lose weight. I am 5'5 and my calorie goal is 1230 a day and if you are eating the right foods you will feel healthy and full of energy. Bumping your calories to 1900 is going to cause you to put some weight on or make worse chocies. I think 300-500 under for TDEE is a better goal. Which would put you at 1400-1600, that may be a better place, just make sure you are not over eating to reach your calorie goal.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Definitiely do not cut your calories in half!!!

However, I don't believe that you need to eat more than 1200 calories if you want to lose weight. I am 5'5 and my calorie goal is 1230 a day and if you are eating the right foods you will feel healthy and full of energy. Bumping your calories to 1900 is going to cause you to put some weight on or make worse chocies. I think 300-500 under for TDEE is a better goal. Which would put you at 1400-1600, that may be a better place, just make sure you are not over eating to reach your calorie goal.

This is why I suggested 1600 but even if you ate your TDEE, it wouldn't cause you to gain weight. You have to eat a surplus for you to gain weight. Eating at your TDEE is maintenance. But that doesn't' mean, you could but body fat still. Keep in mind, you need to eat an additionally 3500 above your TDEE to gain a lb of fat.

Also, time in and time out, do I see people eating 1200 calories that completely plateau or when they reach their goal, they still aren't happy with their body. 1200 calories just isn't hugely conducive to cutting body fat and cutting body fat is what will give you that sexy bathing suit look that most people strive for.

ps- Go PSU!
  • chamcmillan
    chamcmillan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's true when I was breastfeeding my weight came off, but i had some complications etc...so I'm no longer breastfeeding. I also had a C section and I heard its harder losing the tummy weight after the surgery...

I am still breastfeeding but had some complications also so i am not breast feeding as much and even with that the calculator says I should be taking in 1800 calories with breastfeeding calculated into that so I just started that this week so we will see if these pounds come off. Cause I work out 4 days a week burning on average 1,000 calories a week.