New Rules of Lifting for Women book

Options
Hi There Everyone!

I am thinking about going to pick up New Rules of Lifting for Women; any feed back on it before I go?

I just do not want to waste my money if it is crap!

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Excellent book! It's a total view about lifting to lose fat and gain muscle. It even has meal plans and everything. And it's a pretty good read too. Haven't tried the workouts yet, but I'm really excited about getting started!
  • amichelle09
    amichelle09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got this book from the library a week ago. I knew absolutely nothing about lifting weights but have always wanted to..it has an excellent workout plan that is easy to follow and i feel more confident walking into the weightlifting section of the gym w/o feeling like an idiot lol
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    This book is amazing. Make sure you get a hard copy though not a nook or kindle copy. Its important to be able to flip through the pages at the gym!
  • Ashley3915
    Ashley3915 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Great Thanks so much! :)
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It's got a ton of information and there is an entire section with explanations of each type of exercise and pictures so you know how to do everything. It also breaks down the workouts into specific schedules so you know exactly what you're doing each workout. It has good nutrition info in it too.
  • Ashley3915
    Options
    HAHA I know what you mean by looking like a idiot! I always say that to my boyfriend! I am not going in there I will look stupid! lol

thanks for your help!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    do it! it's a great program. you'll learn a lot. i've seen some definite changes and haven't been doing it very long.
  • Ashley3915
    Options
    Great Thank you everyone!
  • clb51
    clb51 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I got my copy the other day. It's amazing. For the last 15 years I have struggled with the last 15 pounds. I stuck to a 1200 cal. day diet, worked out 5-6 days a week and continued to lose muscle but no weight. At 60 yrs old I have osteoporosis, hypothyroid etc. I now realize I have been in starvation mode for all these years. I joined the group on mfp "eat more to weigh less" and saw everyone talking about this book there. I just want to be healthy and I think this book will be the answer I have been searching for.
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    I have book and liked it but my only complaint is that I fell the author is a bit hard on cardio, in particular running, which is my passion. In he says in his book "high volumes of endurance exercise- training for a marathon for example- would be counterproductive." He also says, there is no point is trying to make the body smaller and more efficient through running, while at the same time making it stronger through weight lifting.

Maybe he's right, I just didn't want to hear it : )

Oh, and he really busts on Yoga and Pilates.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I have book and liked it but my only complaint is that I fell the author is a bit hard on cardio, in particular running, which is my passion. In he says in his book "high volumes of endurance exercise- training for a marathon for example- would be counterproductive." He also says, there is no point is trying to make the body smaller and more efficient through running, while at the same time making it stronger through weight lifting.

LOL! I hear ya! I still do my own cardio thing for the most part. I do not go excessive on the cardio and I incorporate HIIT but I did these things before the book. I also love Rachel Cosgrove, Allen's (a co-auther of NROLW) wife. She wrote a book about 2 years before this one called The Female Body Breakthrough (which is great as well) and NROL is basically a re-hashing of this. Allen and Rachel own a gym California and have all their clients on these plans, those that have completed their transformations have amazing physiques so it works and there must be some science behind it!

For the OP: Do it ! You won't regret it!
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

I've been wanting to get this book. Kinda bothers me that it's against other types of exercise. I think variety is important and to work the body in different ways. But I'm still curious and will probably get the book anyway and try it out. I love lifting, but i also love yoga and pilates! :)
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was reading about Jamie Eason's program and she mentions something on her website about doing cardio for extended periods of time can cause your body to start burning muscle as energy instead of fat. I think that's what the NROL author is refering to as far as it being counterproductive.

That being said, I'm going to look into this book this weekend with the hubs (the self-proclaimed lifting expert) because I really want to revamp my strength training and I love NROL's technique of using multiple muscle groups at once rather than isolation exercises (which is what I currently do). Even with the new strength routine I'll likely keep up with my own cardio routine since I have a goal of completing a triathlon someday :)
  • AllisonMO
    AllisonMO Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just started this book and was pleased at how well it jibed with what my trainer is saying about lifting--whole body exercises rather than isolation, the need for protein to build muscle, working with what the body is meant to do, and using more weight for fewer reps rather than low weights for many. Alas, got it on Kindle.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I love the book! Its great!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I'm still f**king waiting for mine. Ordered it one month ago

If you are in the UK, don't order it from WH Smith, total pain in the *kitten*
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options

I've been wanting to get this book. Kinda bothers me that it's against other types of exercise. I think variety is important and to work the body in different ways. But I'm still curious and will probably get the book anyway and try it out. I love lifting, but i also love yoga and pilates! :)
    He's not all that hard on other types of exercise, he just states why he doesn't think they have a place in HIS program as designed. There's no way I'm giving up daily yoga! LOL. The author is a hard core lifter, but he does agree other exercises have their place. And what he says about running is true, it will eventually eat away at your muscle too. But he does incorporate running (or other cardio) in the intervals of his workouts. So, it has it's place!
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    There is a whole group dedicated to NROLFW on here on MFP. Check it out you can learn any and everything about the program there.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-