Why a plateau isn't a bad thing...

Options
OK, so plenty of people talk of reaching a plateau and it always seems to be seen as a *BAD THING*. However, what is a plateau ? It's a level, it's not going down....but it's also not going up....if you were climbing a mountain you'd likely take the chance to rest on a plateau...

So see the plateau as an opportunity to consolidate your losses and think upon the numerous previous attempts to lose weight and how your weight crept back up afterwards. Try adding a few extra calories to replicate what you want your future state diet to be like. You may have been on a swift downwards curve for a few weeks/months and this is a great chance to stabilise things and let your metabolism catch up.

Take some of the pressure off yourself by thinking of the long term and see a plateau as a check that you are going to be able to maintain the weight loss, you can relax a little and by adding some calories you may find that 'hey' your body was in starvation mode after all and you've just restarted your metabolism by feeding it some extra goodies while you maintain your exercise regime.

Once you reach your goal weight you're hoping for a plateau - so get some practice in early!

Replies

• AlisonMacKay
    Options
    A very good point. I have been stuck in my weight loss for about 4 months now and whild I am not at my goal weight...about 10 - 20 lbs away. It is good to think that yes I can maintain a weight...now only to lose thosefew remining lbs :)
  • mebuthalf
    mebuthalf Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Snubbleup
    Snubbleup Posts: 66
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I've been stalled for exactly a month now and while it's not what I want, I'm working on my attitude to get me through it.
  • nevaeh1984
    Options
    I think "stalling" is a part of life and our adventures throughout... So we have to learn to live with it.

When I stall for a bit, I use it as an excuse to eat at maintenance level for a week and then get back into the "diet" mode... Kind of like carb cycling but for a few days and only when there isn't a weight change for a few weeks.