Healthy pizza ideas?

Options
kaiteboo
kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
Hey guys I've decided to make my own pizza sometime this weekend in order to avoid the greasy take out kind!
I'll be using whole wheat dough, but I need some help to think of some healthy topping combos. And any healthy tricks/secrets you guys have would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I read on here that instead of dough someone was using whole wheat wraps, which to me sounded brilliant as you can cut out a huge amount of calories in just that.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Perhaps just hunt down a low fat/calorie tomato sauce then your toppings of choice minus cheese? Not too sure...i like unhealthy pizza LOL!
  • marpeters
    marpeters Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    pre-Roasted veggies with just a little hard tasty cheese.

Taco inspired with sprinkling of black beans with chicken and various veggies and hot sauce base. I also sprinkle little jack cheese over the top at the end.

Good luck...
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I just made my own pizza from scratch yesterday with whole wheat flour too!! For cheese, I used skim mozzerella cheese. Then for the tomato sauce, I made my own. Took plum tomates, blanched them, then simmered them with garlic~
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    SLice green or yellow zucchinis length-wise and scoop out the seeds and pulpy matter around them. Fill hte void with pizza sauce or chopped tomatoes, cheese of your own choosing, and some pizza-like herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, whatever) and salt if you wish, or use grated parmasian cheese which is plenty salty. Backe in the oven at 350 until toasty brown and bubbly. It ain't pizza, but it is a better substitute than something made with tofu....
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Tomato sauce, cheese, sliced tomatoes, basil, fresh cracked pepper and a light drizzle of olive oil
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    any kind of lean protein and veggies - steak and bell peppers, chicken and mushroom, spinach, artichokes, all of the above! part skim mozzarella for the cheese. You can do it without sauce, or just use some kind of tomato based sauce
  • monicaroozo
    monicaroozo Posts: 200
    Options
    Love making my own pizzas! I layer my a local fresh tomato sauce on thick and sprinkle reduced fat cheese lightly on top (only 1 cup for the whole pizza). For a traditional spicy pizza I add turkeyroni and sliced hot cherry peppers. One slice is thick, filling and 300 calories.

You could also check out cauliflower crusts which you can make.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of thin crust, and I've been making tortilla pizzas lately. They're delicious!!! OMG!

My favorite so far was tortilla (the one I used was 160 cals), fat free ranch as sauce, mozzarella, green onion, chicken, and turkey bacon. SOO Delicious!

Another good one is roasting your own tomatoes and mashing those up for sauce, adding mozzarella, chicken (or ground turkey) and lots of sauteed mushrooms and onions.

Honestly, cutting out the crust is where the bulk of the calories are it seems. If you want really low calorie, I'd go light cheese. Good luck!!
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I occasionally make pizza's using low carb tortillas, 3 TBS. low sodium pasta sauce, a little cheese, mushrooms, peppers and grilled chicken.. very filling and yummy :)
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    This is the pizza I made a bit ago:

6981080955_b6a65035e2.jpg

We are using the Boboli thin crust, Homemade Tomato Sauce, a couple of different Peppers (Sweet, Anaheim, Bell and Jalepeño), Red Onions, light mozzarella cheese and Morning Star TVP bits for the hamburger looking stuff. It was really good. Doing it over, I would probably swap the TVP for Lentils or something like that. (I know it sounds weird, but we have been using lentils as a beef replacement in a lot of places, like Tacos!) In any event, you could swap the Homemade Sauce for a light sauce you find at the store.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    Hey guys I've decided to make my own pizza sometime this weekend in order to avoid the greasy take out kind!
    I'll be using whole wheat dough, but I need some help to think of some healthy topping combos. And any healthy tricks/secrets you guys have would be greatly appreciated
    Try the cauliflower crust pizza! I loved mine.
  • Anmri2Win
    Anmri2Win Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make pizza once a week for dinner, this is what I use: Boboli 100% whole wheat crust, Francesco Rinaldi ToBe Healthy Pasta Sauce (tomato basil or garden veggie, just a little to cover the crust), the spicy marinara is REALLY spice. I top it with either; spinach and low fat crumbled feta cheese; Sliced Mushrooms with light shredded mozzarella cheese or No sauce, use a little olive oil and lightly oil crust, top with thinly sliced pear, red onion and low fat goat cheese with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar (just a little).
    I bake the pizza till cheese is all nice and melty. I make only half of the crust and save the other half for another night and serve it with a side salad. I salute you for making crust from scratch, I do not have the patient and I come home late from work, so quick and easy is the way I go. :-) Good luck!!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i use unsalted diced tomatoes on my pizzas :D
    also i will grill my own chicken and turkey sausage to put on top as well.
    my favorite cheeses to use are ricotta and part skim mozzerella (because its the lowest fat and highest in protein)
    and of course PILE ON THE VEGGIIEESSS
  • melissabatmcnet
    melissabatmcnet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have used wheat pita bread and it was yummy, I cut it in half to make a thin round crust, but my husband likes the whole pita.. Put the pita in oven before toppings to get a little crisp then added, a no sugar added pizza sauce (I am diabetic) then added peppers, onions, mushrooms then added the mozzerella, back in the oven until nice and brown..
  • mattgleason
    Options
    My favorite toppings for pizza are pesto, goat cheese, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts.
  • SaundraM2009
    SaundraM2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I sautee spinach, onions, and mushrooms and put them atop whole wheat tortillas + cheese (obv) and bake for roughly 10 minutes at ~400 degrees (?). DONE.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the chicken margherita- you get some cheese, not a ton, but the tomato and basil have so much flavor that everything works together well. :)
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I'm making a pizza tonight using cauliflower as the crust. I got the recipe from here http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

and for toppings, just use any vegetables you have on hand, tonight i'm doing onion, mushroom, and asparagus.
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    make my own dough, tomato sauce and add cheese and lots of veg

Sauce:

onions and garlics, tin tomatoes, grated courgette and carrots, blitz it down

Toppings:

onion, garlic, spinach, mushrooms, sweetcorn, peppers etc etc, and a little bit of mozzerella