Need help for a receipe I'm attempting to create

Options
antoniosmooth
antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
Cheerfully when I'm in town every other week from business travel I conduct a majority of the cooking for my wife and 3 girls. Because I LOVE CHEESEBURGERS (I really do love them A LOT) I've attempted to create a Cheeseburger soup.

As a base for the soup I used this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cugino-s-230503/17338747 Cugino's Broccoli Cheddar Soup Mix. I assumed because the rear of the package said "all you need to add is broccoli", the mix wouldn't contain any broccoli. Imagine my surprise after adding the mix to my 1% milk and 6 cups of water.

Is there a way to make a healthy or somewhat healthy cheese base? I'm considering homemade ketchup as the base with grated cheese on the top. My daughter says I should just melt down a bunch of cheese and add milk to thin it out, THAT WOULD BE MEGA CALORIES and FAT!!

My goad is in order for the soup to taste somewhat like a cheeseburger. The ingredients I used last night are below.... minus Cugino's Broccoli Cheddar Soup Mix.

1.5 lbs. Jennie-O Turkey Breast 93/7
1.5 Thick slices of Onion
.5 pack of Jennie-O Turkey Bacon sliced small enough to fit on a spoon
Black Pepper
Paprika
Red Pepper
Minced Garlic, Oats, Egg for the Turkey Breast

My creation last night tasted like a Cheeseburger with Broccoli on it. Who would want to eat THAT?

Any ideas on what I should do?

Replies

• Jelio13
    Jelio13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello, I also love cheese. Campbell's has a cheese soup and sometimes you can find the low fat. Also

Kraft has shredded cheese that says 2% and it is lower in fat and calories, it is delicious and melts and tastes like regular

cheese! Also Velveeta has low fat cheese that you can try. Good luck!
  • antoniosmooth
    Options
    Hello, I also love cheese. Campbell's has a cheese soup and sometimes you can find the low fat. Also

Kraft has shredded cheese that says 2% and it is lower in fat and calories, it is delicious and melts and tastes like regular

cheese! Also Velveeta has low fat cheese that you can try. Good luck!

Ahhhhh... If Campbell's has a Healthy Choice brand of their Cheese Soup that SHOULD work very well or at least maybe a low fat and low sodium option. I'm probably going to blow through a few packages of turkey and bacon until I get it right. :happy:
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    If you want to make it really quick and easy, a couple of those non-fat, non or low sodium chicken broth tetrapacks (1 quart size) and about 10 oz. of low fat velveeta works in a pinch. Makes about 10 cups of cheese soup.

Oh and as someone mentioned, there is this:
    http://www.campbellsoup.com/Products/Healthy-Request/Condensed/121196
  • antoniosmooth
    Options
    If you want to make it really quick and easy, a couple of those non-fat, non or low sodium chicken broth tetrapacks (1 quart size) and about 10 oz. of low fat velveeta works in a pinch. Makes about 10 cups of cheese soup.

Oh and as someone mentioned, there is this:
    http://www.campbellsoup.com/Products/Healthy-Request/Condensed/121196

Deirdre have you tried that before? I'm envisioning chicken broth and velveeta could be a volatile mix. :laugh:

The Campbell's you link should work and I think this time instead of crumbling the turkey breast in a skillet I should grill the turkey breast like burgers then cut them up in the soup.... maybe.
  • DAM_Fine
    DAM_Fine Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I have tried it and it works fine as long as you keep whisking while you add the cheese. No ill effects that I ever noticed.

You should make little tiny turkeyburgers for the soup. =) Oh wait, quick and easy, right?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Kraft makes fat free cheeses... sometimes they are a bit harder to melt but using them in a stock base or even skim milk base might be worth a try.