Advice about staying focused

Options
So I've been on here for about 4 months. I've been doing pretty good and have lost 40lbs. Last week I slipped up a few times and ate some candy so this week I've really been trying to stay focused. My question is what makes you stay focused? I feel myself trying to rationalize "cheating" more often. I already give myself Fridays to eat a little bit more unhealthy (even though I still generally stay within my calorie limit)
Any advice will be appreciated!

Replies

• ahonea84
    ahonea84 Posts: 24
    Options
    I didn't want to read and not respond but I don't have very good advice. I have trouble with this a lot too. I just try to take it one step at a time. So not worry about the whole day but take each meal or snack as it comes.

It looks like you are already doing a fabulous job by losing 43 pounds. Keep it up!
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If you're still losing weight and eating very healthy most of the time then don't worry too much about it. Everybody is human and slips up now and then. For me, I cut out a looooot of junk out of my diet like most dairy, sugar, white bread, beef, etc. but about once a week I will drink a beer, or eat some fries. Eating a little bit of unhealthy food isn't bad as long as you stay under your numbers and don't do it too often. Everything in moderation. :)
  • JCam8383
    JCam8383 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice~
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Change your language and how you see food. Candy isn't a "slip." It's just food. Add it to your food diary, see where it fits with your overall daily calories and move on. No need to feel bad. Keep your eyes on the bigger picture.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    When you remember the basis of weight. If you have more calories than you burn in a day/week, you gain, if you have less calories than you burn in a day/week, you lose. So having slip ups doesnt stop your weight loss if your overall picture is your burning more than you eat. Slip ups just slow it down. It is ok to live :smile:

I take each week as a new week and try my best to plan meals, plan exercise, and remember why I am doing this, to be healthy.

you can do this!!
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    As long as your weekly intake isn't over the top, candy is just another food. Look at your pie chart for protein, carbs and fat and find something to cheat on that helps balance the percentages.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? Because that's where I started my journey, and at the outset said I would not change my eating drastically. I found that I naturally changed my tune when I started seeing and feeling results - looser clothing, inches and pounds disappearing, overall feeling better... I started wanting to protect my efforts, and that meant making better choices.

I've tried changing things in my diet in the past and could never sustain it for very long before I did the same thing, retreated to the nearest Wendy's and ultimately gained even more weight.

It's now been over a year for me, and my lifestyle is quite different than it used to be.

Don't deprive yourself, though. If you want burgers, for example, you need to fit them in or you're going to snap one day. Like hapoo100 says - it's OK to live!
  • JCam8383
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I get what you're all saying and appreciate you all taking time to respond.
    Adolson, yes I do exercise 6 days a week (30 min- mostly cardio)
    and I get what you mean about retreating to the nearest wendy's, lol, thats what I'm trying to prevent. From here on out I'll lighten up on myself a little and just focus on staying within my calorie goals.
    Thanks again!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on doing such a great job so far! One question I have: have you done anything to acknowledge all of your hard work and success so far? Sometimes, you can suffer from burnout or fatigue, in any sort of long term goal. Celebrate it, do something fun or relaxing for yourself.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    mfp actually really keeps me focused but apart from that all the small changes I see everyday keep my focused.
    I even have pictures of some IFBB pro's which I look up to :) I've put those photos in spots where i know I'll make eye contact so it always keeps me on track that way :)
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    One day each week, my wife and I allow ourselves a day to "spike" our calories. Calling it a spike day sounds more positive than a cheat day. It's done in moderation, but gives us something to look forward to on those days when you just want to pig out. Instead, we know that on Saturday we can allow that indulgence.

I have surpassed my goal weight doing this, and my wife managed to get past an ugly month long plateau doing this.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Set goals for yourself to reach towards. Allow yourself treats once in a while tho. You have already been so successful. Realize that you are strong and you can acheive anything you set your mind on!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Change your language and how you see food. Candy isn't a "slip." It's just food. Add it to your food diary, see where it fits with your overall daily calories and move on. No need to feel bad. Keep your eyes on the bigger picture.

Agreed with this. You have to make peace and call a truce with the foods you love. I'm not saying have that piece of candy everyday, I'm saying until you are hyper disciplined you need a cheat day or at the very least eat the foods you love in MODERATION but not everyday of course and when you do have it... LOG IT! Make it fit into your calorie goal for that day.

Don't beat yourself up about it or if you WANT to beat yourself up about it punish yourself with 300 straight jumping jacks, 100 situps, and 75 pushups.... just kidding of course.
  • JCam8383
    Options
    lol @ antonio, I'll get right on the jumpingjacks, situps, pushups, etc.. but nah, I get what you're saying.
    @darkmoozy, thats a good idea, I'll try that.
    @cloud, thx! I haven't done anything yet...maybe I'll come up with something

Thanks everyone for the advice and great ideas! <3