Hills and running

Options
I was a runner for one year. Did a half marathon and took a "break", Started again and got a nasty knee injury (took 2 yrs to fix and its never going to be as solid as it had been).

I'd like to get back into it. Problem is I moved from the the prairie lands of Minnesota to the mountains to Utah a couple months ago. I went for a 20 minute walk out & back on the sloped city street outside my house and it left me with the worst shin splints I'd ever had. Which was very demotivating. And I haven't tried to run since. I'm getting the itch again since the weather is nice and it'd be awesome to get into trail-running.

Any personal experience/ advice for learning to jog safely on crazy hills with an injury prone knee?

Other kinds of cardio don't do this, there's just something about hills that kicks my butt.

Replies

• ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    bump
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    start slow, then increase. I'm doing the 10k program from the beginning runner's handbook. i started with c25k then switched, but if you do their program, it starts out with 30sec run, then 4:30 min walk. repeat a few times. the increments are quite small, but it claims to get you running 10k in 13 weeks, with minimal risk of injury.
    i'm on week 8, and i am astounded at the progress i am making. no hills though, but if you have them there from the start, i figure you'd get used to them...
  • garyl7593
    garyl7593 Posts: 38
    Options
    Run on the flat or avoid would be my advice....unfortunately! Bike? :)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I think starting slowly is the best idea. You might want to look into Jeff Galloway's program also.
    If you're shin splint return, I would recommend ice baths. I got them a year ago and soaking in an ice bath after runs seemed to help. Also, lots of stretching - you can google stretches for them.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Hills have valleys, run in the valleys =P
  • This_Daddy_Rocks
    Options
    bump for future reading
  • snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I first started to run in the hills, and I'd just take it really slowly and walk the downhill parts - those are particularly treacherous for your knees. The uphill bits should be okay, as you get less impact on your knee.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Run the easier stuff, and walk the steeper stuff. There's no rush to get back into racing shape. So walk when you must. You may want incorporate strength training for the legs since too much hillwork can cause muscular imbalances in your legs. You also want to be aware of plantar fasciitis, as this can happen from too many hills too soon.

The bottom line... take it slow and easy.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    walk up, run down? get used to things gradually. Additionally, if you've read anything about the Chi Running method, there is a section about how to run up hills, somewhat sideways which works marvelously well for me and might be worth taking a read in the book even if you don't try the rest of the more natural running style... the somewhat sideways or diagonal way to get up a hill makes it easier on the knees, the breathing, everything!
  • nhendri
    nhendri Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I live in Salt Lake City and completely understand what you are saying when you say hills. I partly blame the hills (and bad shoes) for my plantar faciitis. A women at my work who I walk with got special running pants from the running store that are tight so they hold the muscles closure to the bone and she said it makes a huge difference. We also make sure to warm up first on our walks (walking back and forth on the two blocks that are flat) before we hit the hills. We also make sure that we stretch :) hope this helps!
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    Massage and ice for shin splints...it really does help....good luck...I am recovering from an injury to my iliotibial band so I understand the pain part...I have only been running for eight months but I cant stand not being able to run even for a day or two...blessings and good luck with the hills and trail running...runners world has a lot of info on trail running by the way...
  • ljm0521
    ljm0521 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you haven't done so already, I would go to a running store and get fitted for new shoes. Beyond that, I have no advice.
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I totally forgot about ice baths for shin splints. Never heard about the compression pants, sounds like a good idea though. I discovered the joys of loping sideways downhill at tougher mudder - it really works! I just have to switch sides every couple of lopes or both my knees hate me. Definitly taking it slow and easy.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to structure my overall training program. Jeff Galloway's 5k/10k schedule is: 3x run 3x crosstrain and 1x rest. Which is standard. If I go for 15min interval walk/jog can I tack on more cardio after or is that 15 minutes my workout for the day? Can I tack on my lift routine before the 15min walk/run?

I suppose its not rocket science, the biggest thing being that I actually get my shoes on and get out the door :laugh: