No sugar no flour

Options
Just curious if anyone follows this food plan, did it with excellent success last year & of course dropped my guard & gained some back

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No. I eat what I want.
  • xdaysbingefree
    xdaysbingefree Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    nooooo way... that would be too difficult and unrealistic to maintain long term
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I tried eating food with no added sugar for about two weeks. never even contemplated no flour.
    the sugar thing failed because a friend insisted I try just one cookie....2 dozen cookies later...
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you can't do it for life then it's not a good diet. Anyone who has eliminated food groups from their diet, lost weight, and gone back to their previous way of eating will tell you that you will gain the weight back.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters...if its not something that you can maintain long-term..then you will gain all of the lost weight back. It has to be sustainable...
  • Exna
    Exna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    sounds like South Beach 1st phase. .. unrealistic :S ..
  • Wilson336
    Wilson336 Posts: 76
    Options
    Yeah. I think you are just setting yourself up to fail, since it is so difficult to go by that diet. I used to be very strict about carb intake, but I would invariably give up after a while. I find simply setting calorie goals and exercising to be much easier to maintain.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say don't eat it at all, but if you greatly reduce your intake of processed foods with added sugar and choose whole wheat over white breads that is always a good thing. Added sugar and white breads are bad for you but cutting them out all together is too lofty of a goal.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Totally doable and maintainable. Those that say that you cannot maintain that way of eating just haven't looked into alternatives that are better, such as nut flours. Most people are too weak willed to stick to something that eliminates these items long term because the American diet is saturated with just about everything coated in sugar and flour, it's hard to avoid and hard to turn down sometimes.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    - Reduce 3 white poisons Salt/Sugar/Flour

Moderate...don't diet.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I dropped sugar and white flour on February 1st and I find it to be a very easy lifestyle change. I never really ate bread anyway, and nut flours are tastier. After the first two weeks of no sugar, I no longer craved sweets. I'm less bloated and have more energy. I admit I do have something every now and then, like birthday cake for my kids, but that doesn't make me crazy for more. In fact I usually have digestive issues afterward :P Everyone is different of course and it isn't realistic to expect EVERYBODY to feel the same.
  • Kait1215
    Kait1215 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sounds alot like atkins, doable but very difficult to maintain
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    you know, I actually do follow this plan and with a little thought is really isn't that unrealistic. Now I don't absolutely NEVER eat sugar or flour, but I make a concentrated effort not to eat them. By no sugar I mean no unrefined, white sugar. Natural sugars (like those found in fruits) to me are fine in moderation. Agave is a great sweetner, as is honey and Xylitol. I try to keep away from refined sugar, which means keeping away from processed foods (it's pretty much in anything canned/prepackaged/sometimes frozen).

The no flour thing is actually quite easy. That just means no bread made with flour (not all bread has flour, amazing as it may seem), no pasta and no wraps/muffins/cakes etc. Flour creates a kind of glue in your body and for me it causes me to feel sluggish and bloated/gassy.

So unrealistic to cut out (or trim down) sugar and flour? I say not at all! Look for the alternatives. You will soon find there are plenty of other much healthier ways to fuel your body without these two tiny things....that btw are not a "food group".
  • manda1028
    manda1028 Posts: 148
    Options
    i dont like to eat flour, i havent eaten it for a couple months other than birthday cake on special occasions or half a pb n j. i dont include it into my meals, i dont go for white breads or anything like that - that is very do able. as for sugar, u can also cut that out easily besides what is into sweets that u may have on occasion and fruits and some veggies as well. i feel, the more natural one eats and the less bull**** , the better u feel, and of course you can lose weight and eliminate the unhealthy. there isnt anything healthy about sugar or white flour . good luck:)
  • manda1028
    manda1028 Posts: 148
    Options
    you know, I actually do follow this plan and with a little thought is really isn't that unrealistic. Now I don't absolutely NEVER eat sugar or flour, but I make a concentrated effort not to eat them. By no sugar I mean no unrefined, white sugar. Natural sugars (like those found in fruits) to me are fine in moderation. Agave is a great sweetner, as is honey and Xylitol. I try to keep away from refined sugar, which means keeping away from processed foods (it's pretty much in anything canned/prepackaged/sometimes frozen).

The no flour thing is actually quite easy. That just means no bread made with flour (not all bread has flour, amazing as it may seem), no pasta and no wraps/muffins/cakes etc. Flour creates a kind of glue in your body and for me it causes me to feel sluggish and bloated/gassy.

So unrealistic to cut out (or trim down) sugar and flour? I say not at all! Look for the alternatives. You will soon find there are plenty of other much healthier ways to fuel your body without these two tiny things....that btw are not a "food group".

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! :)
  • TrinNZ
    TrinNZ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    btw Nut flour is still flour....like rice flour, corn flour etc
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't eat flour (or gluten whatsoever), but I do eat sugar very occasionally. I work for a chocolate factory, so I have to test truffles sometimes. Also, I just like a dessert occasionally. I try to stick with honey or maple syrup for sugar.
  • mrskellyray
    mrskellyray Posts: 114
    Options
    Totally doable and maintainable. Those that say that you cannot maintain that way of eating just haven't looked into alternatives that are better, such as nut flours. Most people are too weak willed to stick to something that eliminates these items long term because the American diet is saturated with just about everything coated in sugar and flour, it's hard to avoid and hard to turn down sometimes.

THIS! i have considered this many times. I would love to do it and am hoping to still achieve it. I'm getting there slowly though. Taking a few extra steps to not have them and keep adding to it. My goal is by the time I'm pregnant and have children, both of these things will be 80% out of our diets. I leave room for eating out, eating at other peoples houses, etc. It's doable, and totally healthy and worth it! do it! :)
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    its not that hard. you just have to do it.
  • marge6991
    marge6991 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    THANKS to everyone for all the input, was very helpful :)